businesses employing illegals will be fined

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The 90-day work ethics

maybe this will force the government to reform codigo laboral. it's high time to get rid of this liquidation bullcrap.

We have always paid 'prestaciones' even to the laziest workers.
(Just read the opinions on DR1 about gringos' experiences in a labour dispute. :rolleyes: )

Finally we just got fed up with guys who begged us for work and then dropped the 'col?n' after 90 days... :tired:

donP

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Time’s ripe to demand hiring of Dominican workers: Employers

Santo Domingo.- Dominican Republic Employers Confederation (COPARDOM) president Jaime Gonzalez on Thursday said time’s ripe for authorities and the private sector involved in the production and enforcement of immigration policies demand the hiring of Dominican workers or at least documented aliens.

Gonzalez’s statement comes in the heels of mounting demand by various sectors to enforce the Labor Law’s regulation limiting the number of foreign laborers in a company’s workforce to 20%.

"We must discuss and agree to dismantle the irregular hiring of foreign workers, and at the same time identify which procedures could be carried out to achieve this purpose, since at present there productive sectors, such as construction and agriculture where the prevalence of undocumented foreign workers is very high," he said.

Gonzalez said that only an orderly and guided process to replace undocumented foreign labor can lay the groundwork to enforce the Labor Code’s regulations.

"Government authorities should start dismantling the hiring of undocumented aliens favoring Dominicans and foreigners with a regular immigration status, allowing us to positively influence the performance of the Dominican social security system and the labor market," the business leader said.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...-demand-hiring-of-Dominican-workers-Employers

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's good news because the heavy dependence on illegal workers in certain sectors indirectly puts a downward pressure to wages in other sectors where Haitian labor is not as extensively in use. This is mostly because the hundreds of thousands of Dominicans that can't get employed in sectors dominated by Haitians, a large portion of them search for jobs in other sectors where they can offer their labor and that exacerbates the supply of labor in the non-Haitian dominated sectors, undeniably affecting wage levels. One can only wonder how much worse it would had been if the emigration valve didn't exist.

While the new enforcements (if they follow through) will not affect Dominican businesses as Grupo Ramos or foreign companies as Odebrecht, because they respect the 80/20 law, many businesses will need to accommodate to what should had existed a long time ago. DR always does things backwards, as they say, DR likes to wait until it's robbed in order to put the lock.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yes, same job/work, same pay.

However, there was quite a difference in performance and the work ethic of the 2 groups. ;)

"The Haitians say 'gracias' when they receive their pay. They bring us fruits that we did not know they grew on the finca. They bring us the hens' eggs. They do not syphon diesel from our tanks. They do not steal chicks and carry them off under their 'gorras'. They arrive punctually and do not leave early. I have never found them sleeping during work hours. They do not lie. The finca has never been that 'limpio' since they came."

donP

I thought we were discussing jobs that Dominicans wouldn?t do. Now that you mention it, personally, I have never had a Dominican employee who wouldn?t say thanks after getting paid, or a beggar that wouldn?t say "God Bless you." On the other hand, the Haitians that come over to my door begging, just grab whatever you give them and leave.
Regardless of the saint-like picture that people here usually want to to paint of Haitians, they are often involved in rapes, thefts and murders. I used to work in a court, and they were Haitian cases all the time, including Haitian against Haitian cases.

Should I post then that all Haitians are rapists, thieves and murderers?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Your Experience - Our Experience

Regardless of the saint-like picture that people here usually want to to paint of Haitians, they are often involved in rapes, thefts and murders.

That is also true.
And Las Terrenas seems to have quite a number of those... :chinese:

I just reported our experience with the 2 guys we have on the finca and compared them to the ones we had before them.
That's all.

donP