Buying a motoconcho...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Riding here is doable, but it's NOT for the casual rider. Chip, I know you and see you're not the "average" touristy-type at all. You're smart and athletic; I can see why you ride well here. If you're ballsy enough to contemplate a 'Busa at 200 on the autobahn and had a 1200 stateside, you ain't average.

I've been riding a long time, currently have an 1800cc VTX stateside, and have taken both the basic and advanced MSF courses (paid by my insurance company). I'd ride in the DR, but I'd ratchet up my "paranoia goggles" a few clicks. I'd prolly opt for something like the 600cc Hoinda Silver Wing semi-scooter as a good compromise between a scooter and a traditional bike.

My point is the DR is NOT a place for some guy who really isn't an experienced, trained rider just renting a scooter on holiday for tooling around. My single biggest fear is getting in a serious auto/scoot accident, being unable to communicate, and leaving it up to the folks and whatever medical/emergency personnel that ~eventually~ arrives on the scene, to determine how I'd be treated at the scene, and where I'd be taken-IF I survived. The EMT care we're used to in the states or Europe doesn't exist in the DR.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Scared straight...

Thanks for all the valuable information...I think I am gonna stick to taxis and guaguas...I'd like to live a few more years :cheeky:

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
I am the proud owner of a Honda 70 (the classic!), which gets me around in the back arse end of nowhere up near constanza. THese things are amazing, but I don?t think I will ever carry goats on them like my neighbours do. In my opinion, old beat up motores are the backbone of the agricultural economy.

It cost me $16,000, but the engine is in top condition.

C

Chip00

I am the proud owner of a Honda 70 (the classic!), which gets me around in the back arse end of nowhere up near constanza. THese things are amazing, but I don?t think I will ever carry goats on them like my neighbours do. In my opinion, old beat up motores are the backbone of the agricultural economy.

It cost me $16,000, but the engine is in top condition.

Hope you didn't get skewered, those can be had in "experienced" condition all day long for less that 10k and for 15 to 20k one should expect something much better. Nonetheless, the thing will last forever and parts and labor are cheap.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Hard on the butt

I find these little bikes are very uncomfortable for anything more than a scoot across town. I bought a 1995 Virago 535 for 50k and restored it for another 30k. I am very happy with it so far other than when my girlfriend keeps telling me to slow down. It is comfortable for longer trips and will take a good size pothole.Another advantage is that it is somewhat rare in the D.R. and so I believe, more difficult to steal. The downside is that parts are harder to come by and therefore more expensive. I buy in Canada and put them in the suitcase.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I find these little bikes are very uncomfortable for anything more than a scoot across town. I bought a 1995 Virago 535 for 50k and restored it for another 30k. I am very happy with it so far other than when my girlfriend keeps telling me to slow down. It is comfortable for longer trips and will take a good size pothole.Another advantage is that it is somewhat rare in the D.R. and so I believe, more difficult to steal. The downside is that parts are harder to come by and therefore more expensive. I buy in Canada and put them in the suitcase.
That's a great bike for this country, as it's easy to maneuver at slow speeds in town, with a low center of gravity, yet it's ample for cruising on the highway all day.
Good choice.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
This could just as easily go in the Policia Nacional Thieves thread, or whatever it's called.

But today I took a different route home, along the 27 in Santo Domingo. Naturally I used the tunnels that run under Tiradentes and Gomez. Coming up from the second tunnel, I was waved to the side of the road by a squad of AMET cops. Since people have told me not to mess around with AMET I stopped.

First mistake.

There were a half-dozen motorcycles on the sidewalk and I was instructed to put mine with the rest. Most were 100s, 125s... concho-style bikes. Curiously, there werent many riders around. There were about 6 AMETs, but after they waved me over and had me park, no one addressed me. I stood there, helmet in hand, waiting. Finally asked for ID, I gave them a Chicago Drivers License, which caused a good deal of laughter and confusion. They were writing me some ticket and obviously didnt know what to make of a US license. No one said a word to me.

A minute later, an AMET truck pulled up and it dawned on me --- they were going to tow away all the bikes!

I put on my best tourist-broken-spanish and explained that I was just a confused tourist, what was the problem, did I break a law, could I pay a fine and go?

Thanks be to St Patrick, they gave me a ticket and told me to get on my way, while they loaded all the other bikes on the truck. (While this was happening, a biker came out of the tunnel, saw the road block and ripped a U-turn in the middle of the 27, escaping).

I guess motorcycles cant use the tunnel? In any regard, the AMET cops didnt seem at all bribe-able... and I think it was only because Im American that my bike isnt sitting in some AMET lot tonight, leaving me to walk home on foot.

One of the negatives of riding two wheels in the DR. The ticket, meanwhile, is serving as a great drink coaster tonight.

C

Chip00

This could just as easily go in the Policia Nacional Thieves thread, or whatever it's called.

But today I took a different route home, along the 27 in Santo Domingo. Naturally I used the tunnels that run under Tiradentes and Gomez. Coming up from the second tunnel, I was waved to the side of the road by a squad of AMET cops. Since people have told me not to mess around with AMET I stopped.

First mistake.

There were a half-dozen motorcycles on the sidewalk and I was instructed to put mine with the rest. Most were 100s, 125s... concho-style bikes. Curiously, there werent many riders around. There were about 6 AMETs, but after they waved me over and had me park, no one addressed me. I stood there, helmet in hand, waiting. Finally asked for ID, I gave them a Chicago Drivers License, which caused a good deal of laughter and confusion. They were writing me some ticket and obviously didnt know what to make of a US license. No one said a word to me.

A minute later, an AMET truck pulled up and it dawned on me --- they were going to tow away all the bikes!

I put on my best tourist-broken-spanish and explained that I was just a confused tourist, what was the problem, did I break a law, could I pay a fine and go?

Thanks be to St Patrick, they gave me a ticket and told me to get on my way, while they loaded all the other bikes on the truck. (While this was happening, a biker came out of the tunnel, saw the road block and ripped a U-turn in the middle of the 27, escaping).

I guess motorcycles cant use the tunnel? In any regard, the AMET cops didnt seem at all bribe-able... and I think it was only because Im American that my bike isnt sitting in some AMET lot tonight, leaving me to walk home on foot.

One of the negatives of riding two wheels in the DR. The ticket, meanwhile, is serving as a great drink coaster tonight.

Was that with the Ducati? Man what a close call! I was in the capital Sunday and I do remember seeing a sign which said no "motores". I was thinking that that meants smaller bikes and "motora" was a bigger bike as I have heard both terms used - oh well guess not.

BTW what kind of bike do you have?

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Yeah, it is a Duc SS. I didnt see the sign, but will avoid the tunnels from now on. If you ever wanna give it a spin, let me know when youre in town.

C

Chip00

Yeah, it is a Duc SS. I didnt see the sign, but will avoid the tunnels from now on. If you ever wanna give it a spin, let me know when youre in town.

Thanks - that would be awfully nice but I would be afraid of dumping it. Wow, I just pulled up some photos on the web and man that is one nice ride!

I would like to bring my 1200 Bandit here and I've been hearing rumors that Cafta might help with that. The freight is only like US600 from Miami - I need to do some more research.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
theft would be the least of your worries

. Are they stolen very often here?
How about every day unless you use a 1 in chain attached to something immovable using a super strong padlock that can't be opened with a piece of re-bar & a rock! Good luck! Canadian Bob.[/QUOTE]

If you value your life and limb, stay away from those things. Did you know that the vast majority of traffic accidents involve motorcycles? Even if you operate it safely, you would be too vulnerable to the crazy antics the drivers pull. Then of course, there are the road beds. All it takes is a moment of inattention and you could find yourself at the bottom of a sinkhole with the motorcycle on top of you.

Please don't travel by motorcycle, especially not on public roads.