Buying Organic Food In The Dominican Republic

G

GuillermoRamon

sounds good.do they have items labeled as USDA Organic?

Why would a country other than the US, have United States Department of Agriculture on their food, other than imported ???

W

william webster

Right Bob
The larger, commercial growers may have pesticide regimes but the local guy - not so much

J

JDJones

Why would a country other than the US, have United States Department of Agriculture on their food, other than imported ???

Stop being difficult... .lol

Seriously, every town has a Mercado where they sell local produce.

Almost all of the vendors are small farmers and they're usually much cheaper than supermarkets.

That's the first place I'd go for fresh food.

A

AlterEgo

There are also organic farms certified organic by the european association which has very stringent guidelines to be accepted. Lots of campo farmers also cant afford pesticides or fertilizers.

Exactly. Family of my sister-in-law’s do organic farming in Constanza, and the guideline and oversite are tough.

I

I love Azua

The Dominican Republic has many organic farms. DR produces 55% of all organic bananas in the world. DR produces the largest share of organic cacoa beans in the world. DR produces significant amounts of organic coffee beans. Around Azua there are many of these organic co-operatives. Mangoes and avocados too. There is a huge amount of true organic products available
throughout the DR so just look and be suprised!

F

Fulano2

À friend of mine, Ramon, is one of the biggest exporters of cacao, all organic, even the swiss, the most quality demanding in the world buys his stuff. So it's not all dtt and without control cultivating. The ugly vegetables you see Will tell you enough.

R

RDKNIGHT

There are also organic farms certified organic by the european association which has very stringent guidelines to be accepted. Lots of campo farmers also cant afford pesticides or fertilizers.

Bob let's be real now... the farmers will put any thing on their products to make fast money... especially the ones who don't have money....

G

GuillermoRamon

Stop being difficult... .lol

Seriously, every town has a Mercado where they sell local produce.

Almost all of the vendors are small farmers and they're usually much cheaper than supermarkets.

That's the first place I'd go for fresh food.

Yes, and most of those guys stuff is Organic, they cant afford to buy chemicals and such

W

william webster

Bob let's be real now... the farmers will put any thing on their products to make fast money... especially the ones who don't have money....

Now this needs explaining.....Black Night..

A guy w/ no money.... will pay anything to make money

From my days in Rome.....
we called that a non sequitor

B

Bred

they cant afford to buy chemicals and such

They can and they do. 1 drop of nasty stuff for a bucket of water doesn't cost much and keeps bugs away for 2 weeks. Or crawl on your knees around each bush 24/7 and collect bugs by your hands. Which is cheaper? Did you try farming here?

A

AlterEgo

They can and they do. 1 drop of nasty stuff for a bucket of water doesn't cost much and keeps bugs away for 2 weeks. Or crawl on your knees around each bush 24/7 and collect bugs by your hands. Which is cheaper? Did you try farming here?

I agree with you. God knows what they use. To be organic in DR, besides not using those chemicals, means proving there have been no chemicals used in those fields for a certain number of years before planting current crop.

M

monfongo

As i said earlier, they use chemicals here that you cannot use in North America

B

Big

The environazi's in the U.S are trying outlaw the use of lawn products, they say if your lawn is too green w/o weeds you're damaging the environment.

W

william webster

I just bought - from the back of the truck - still sun hot .... a pineapple & a cantaloupe

I don't know where you will find sweeter
I can't even eat the crap from Whole Foods - I feel cheated getting this fresh stuff

The dogs get the skins.

I swirl the w/ BuLuLu yogurt - which is closer to Kefir....

Pretty good in the AM !!!

T

Tarheel

The environazi's in the U.S are trying outlaw the use of lawn products, they say if your lawn is too green w/o weeds you're damaging the environment.

Big can you back that up with facts?