Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I don't agree. What if Leonel in 1996 would have thought better to invest in Education or the electricity system only and not in infrastructure in Santo Domingo. No elevados, no metro, no tunnels, no highways to the east of the country (or north). This teleferico is not a bad idea for that part of the city. OFcourse all public investments also give possibilities to steal a lot of money, but that happens with investments in Education or Electricity as well and as much.

Please build one from Park Independencia to Las Damas. So we park in and around park Independencia take the tram to the Colonial Zone and we can wave to Maribel as we pass her standing in the empty streets of the C.Z.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would be very surprised if there are not more trams in Santo Domingo's future.

The original plan for the metro in Santo Domingo covered the entire city but was scaled down. Probably due to budget constraint (major $$$ theft)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am open to anything that would alleviate some of this unbearable traffic.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I would be very surprised if there are not more trams in Santo Domingo's future.

Traffic congestion will get much worse but at least some thought is beginning to be focused at alleviating the problems.

There is limited room to improve the road infrastructure to facilitate better traffic flows and now we have the idea of limiting traffic access on Las Americas at Venezuela at peak times. This process will only grow but I see traffic charging in certain zones a long way off along with flexi hours for some city workers.

So, cable cars and extension to the Metro and perhaps trams are good ways forward.

Also it is a pity that Dominicans at work cannot resist getting into their cars at lunch break and stalling all the city traffic at these times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder how many of SD cars are publicos. just getting rid of that trash would considerably ease congestion.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I wonder how many DR1?s are going to be traveling on these lifts from Sabana Perdida at Charles De Gualle down to Los Minos Sur at Av, San Vicinte De Paul to the planned metro station/ junction?

Correct me if I am wrong but its my understanding this is the planned route.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
i wonder how many of SD cars are publicos. just getting rid of that trash would considerably ease congestion.

If we got rid of these very cheap ways of transport how would people get to work ?? Before that is done we need an alternative system at the same cost to the public

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The exchange rate is around 1800/USD.
Very inexpensive. The food is not as tasty, but the eye candy in Medellin, for example, makes it worthwhile. Best of all, no Haitianos.
No music played at over 100 decibels, decent streets, lower crime rate, cops don't prey on you, no problem fitting in or feeling
comfortable. They call Medellin "The Miracle City".

Not any more. It was actually over 3,000 to a dollar for a bit.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If we got rid of these very cheap ways of transport how would people get to work ?? Before that is done we need an alternative system at the same cost to the public

Agreed, and many of them are pre-booked weekly and carry 5 or 6 people daily back and forth from outlying areas to the city center. Several used to take the same people we knew from Villa Altagracia to the city each day for a weekly fare, and for those people it was much preferable than waiting for a bus to km9 and making their way onwards to the center. Quite an efficient approach sharing one car and certainly better than single user transport in terms of congestion. Just wish they would understand where to stop without disrupting other traffic.

Better organized public transport systems in all it's forms including the proposed cable cars along with traffic limiting measures are clearly needed over the coming years to address the growing traffic problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Construction of Santo Domingo?s cable car begins

Construction of Santo Domingo?s cable car begins

Santo Domingo.- The government has started construction of a cable car system dubbed Cable Car Santo Domingo, ?to defend and dignify the lives of thousands of people living in La Barquita and its surroundings.?

It said the project URBE began excavations at three key points along the cable car?s projected route, with concrete already poured for the columns at La Nueva Barquita station in Santo Domingo Norte.

URBE also works in other sectors of Greater Santo Domingo, where commuters can board the second Metro line at Eduardo Brito Station.

The work forms part of an ambitious plan to connect historically marginalized barrios to benefit more than 287,000 inhabitants with safe and cheap transport.

Santo Domingo?s cable car will span five kilometers with five stations: Charles de Gaulle, Sabana Perdida, La Nueva Barquita, Los Tres Brazos and Gualey.

Santo Domingo?s cable car is similar to the one in Medellin, Colombia, used by thousands of commuters daily.

Source: DT

Dec 22, 2015

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
here is an original article: El Caribe ? Telef?rico en Santo Domingo movilizar? a 3,000 pasajeros por hora

JD, you mean something like this?

97v7z7.jpg

I watched a documentary on the reason they installed this system in a Columbian city. The system resolved some of the traffic problems in a highly populated city and it made the surrounding poorer areas feel like they were part of the city. It also allowed police easier access to the poorer areas to deal with violence and drugs. The citizens took possession of their new transit system by making sure it was safe and well used and it gave them a sense of power. Some Canadian cities are now looking at similar systems to reduce traffic congestion. Constructing more roads in congested cities doesn't always make sense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When will they start the investigations into the bribes and kickbacks for the new system?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I watched a documentary on the reason they installed this system in a Columbian city. The system resolved some of the traffic problems in a highly populated city and it made the surrounding poorer areas feel like they were part of the city. It also allowed police easier access to the poorer areas to deal with violence and drugs. The citizens took possession of their new transit system by making sure it was safe and well used and it gave them a sense of power. Some Canadian cities are now looking at similar systems to reduce traffic congestion. Constructing more roads in congested cities doesn't always make sense.

Can you imagine the hill where the cable car is in Puerto Plata with houses built all the way to the top without even streets going up to them? Only foot paths? That is the way Medellin was built. I have ridden the cable car that DV8 posted (I think that is the one) And yes for the first time those barrios have access to transportation. It has been maybe 10 years since i was there, Maybe Robert can comment since he is presently based in Colombia.
Der Fish