Cable Cars Coming To Santo Domingo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They actually built the thing? what are entry/exit points Sorry, don't understand spanish

ndr0b4.jpg

A couple weeks ago i was at the Metro L2 Eduardo Brito Station and saw some construction work going on. My first thought was they were back to working on the completion of the Metro L2 expansion. My current thought is it must have been work prepping for the opening of the Teleferico SD.

Now if they can only finish Metro L2, so far two years and waiting..............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
above photo from Google Maps.........

Map Details

Teleférico de Santo Domingo (Santo Domingo Cable Car)

Description:

A 4-station, 5km urban cable car system built as a feeder system to Santo Domingo's Eduardo Brito Metro station. The gondola is used to improve transport options for citizens who have historically lived in disadvantaged and marginalized communities. www.gondolaproject.com

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Fantastic. My only concern is weight capacity. These are not
conchos. They are going to have to educate people otherwise
what goes up (loaded with the heavies) may come crashing down.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I did not know it was overhead cars. Ugly as hell but it would work better than street level cars. They better maintain them....hate to see them dropping from the sky.

History here of lack of maintenance from Airplanes, Boats/ferries, commercial trucks , buildings and such are a pre-warning of a disaster in the making. And I am a positive thinker.!!! I would never do the cable car in Puerto Plata.
There is a mindset here ''if it breaks, fix it; if it is not broken don't maintain it''. Compliance to Law needs inspections and ''Stop operations Orders''.... I bought a new condo here in Luperon which as it turned out was built to ''cost cutting rules'' not RD building codes, But we were inspected and someone made a fist full of dollars ... my unit collapsed after heavy rains. Which undermined a much too narrow footing resting upon clay. That is a mindset and it will be virtually imposible to change.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

I am quite certain there will be someone at each station to make sure each car only has the safe number of passengers. They will not be piling in as they do with the carro publicos.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
History here of lack of maintenance from Airplanes, Boats/ferries, commercial trucks , buildings and such are a pre-warning of a disaster in the making. And I am a positive thinker.!!! I would never do the cable car in Puerto Plata.
There is a mindset here ''if it breaks, fix it; if it is not broken don't maintain it''. Compliance to Law needs inspections and ''Stop operations Orders''.... I bought a new condo here in Luperon which as it turned out was built to ''cost cutting rules'' not RD building codes, But we were inspected and someone made a fist full of dollars ... my unit collapsed after heavy rains. Which undermined a much too narrow footing resting upon clay. That is a mindset and it will be virtually imposible to change.

Not sure about this, what has it been... 5 years plus and the Metro is still up and running with from what my eyes can see has been well maintained

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002

The car attendants will oversee the direct loading of the cars that will adhere to capacity. A system of same manufacture in Medellin, Columbia set the standard for that of Santo Domingo. Controlled passenger access prior to boarding the cars is managed by barriers and gates to funnel them individually or two by two to the boarding platform area.

Regards,

PJT

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
it's a multiple entry/exit system, think of it as metro but overground. crosses a large part of the city.

The part of the city it covers will just be a small portion of Santo Domingo este and most likely these areas are places most dr1ers would never go.

May 5, 2007
ndr0b4.jpg

A couple weeks ago i was at the Metro L2 Eduardo Brito Station and saw some construction work going on. My first thought was they were back to working on the completion of the Metro L2 expansion. My current thought is it must have been work prepping for the opening of the Teleferico SD.

Now if they can only finish Metro L2, so far two years and waiting..............

Great, is this designed as a mass transport or attraction?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Not sure about this, what has it been... 5 years plus and the Metro is still up and running with from what my eyes can see has been well maintained

Like I said it is a mindset ..... if it changes more the better.... If it helps the underprivileged to navigate the city then good,
I am not underprivileged ..... I shall continue to use my usual Taxi when in the SDO city.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Regarding?

Whether it was built or not.

Sorry, I sometimes fail to realize many folks here don't read daily news outlets.

If you are looking at usage, the metro is a smashing success, and the next line will be more successful because it will connect east SD to west.

There are plans to add additional cars.

The Telesferico will be maxed out from the moment it starts, and I would bet even money there's another one coming right behind it.

May 5, 2007
Whether it was built or not.

Sorry, I sometimes fail to realize many folks here don't read daily news outlets.

If you are looking at usage, the metro is a smashing success, and the next line will be more successful because it will connect east SD to west.

There are plans to add additional cars.

The Telesferico will be maxed out from the moment it starts, and I would bet even money there's another one coming right behind it.

Good Lord, Pichardo was right