cake in santiago

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
most of cakes made in Dominicana are hard too eat..awful...i spotted one bakery in Santiago its called Francopan, they have decent cakes..but quite pricey...

btw. Was in La Vega, in first spotted bakery they had delicious choco cookies..as from Europe, not Dominican Republic...big one for 15 pesos...So, european quality with DR price... too bad there is nothing in Santiago like that :/

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
BARBARIANS!!!

I still have to get a real good cake, or biscuit here. Mind you, the owner of the Belgian Bakery comes real close, and I believe him when he says it comes to the inconsistency of the ingredients here. I know he had a very good rep in Belgium.

Dominican cakes.. no taste, much too much sugar.
American cakes... sorry, they disgust me. Way too much sugar, and then the artificially flavored icing.... ouch... who wants to eat a pink, blue or orange cake?

BelgianK, a guy with a palate.
Does this Belgian bakery guy know how to make a decent bread, if so, how far do I have to travel to get it?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Does this Belgian bakery guy know how to make a decent bread, if so, how far do I have to travel to get it?

Best bread I've had on the island is from Bravo supermarket in Santiago, get the pan sobao, made with a lot of real butter it seems and absolutely delicious and soft.. Also, stays soft after a few days in the pantry unlike normal dominican bread which becomes hard as a rock in 8 hours. I can't say enough good things about Bravo really, go on tuesdays for 40% discount on ALL fruits/vegetables, including imports. They were also the first company to announce they would absorb the ITBIS tax hike and other companies followed suit.

Nov 25, 2008
Lumijor in my opinion is the worst, La Campagna is too expensive for what they offer....Fifa (behind Clinica Coromina, one block down n the corner, runs you $500 for 1/2 lb) in my opinion is the Best!!
If you want cheap the supermarkets are your deal

Dec 26, 2011
Lumijor in my opinion is the worst, La Campagna is too expensive for what they offer....Fifa (behind Clinica Coromina, one block down n the corner, runs you $500 for 1/2 lb) in my opinion is the Best!!
If you want cheap the supermarkets are your deal

They're only rugrats, as the OP said. They won't know the difference. "Let them eat [cheap] cake".

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I spoke with the owner of the belgium breakfast place in Cabarete (some of the best deserts on the island), and he told me one of the main issues was inconsistency in dairy products. He says one day the butter can be 60% water, the next day 40% etc and it ruins his recipes. Milk has the same issue because of the way it is processed here. Anyways, the cake was for a gift for a friends kids party so I just opted with La Sirena at 550 for a 1lb cake, any reposteria is double that price and kids can't tell the difference in taste.

I bought an expensive cake for my kids 3rd birthday last year from mil hojas in la vega, and the kids didnt like it because they said it wasn't sweet enough, the adults loved it..

That baker is a wise man. I come from a family of experts in baking from my mother side which is from the state of Alabama( Role Tide) My grandmother is a baker out of this world so much people have offered her money for some of recipes, but my granny also ways declined. My mother learned how to bake from my granny and was able to sneek some of her recipes for her cakes. Now my mother runs a side business making cakes ,over the Xmas and Thanksgiving holidays my mother myself, and my two sisters baked over 80 cakes. I always get the easiest ones to bake 7up pound cake, sour cream pound cake and cream cheese pound cake.

Baking is an ART do not let anyone ever tell you different, so many steps go into making a really good cake. The MOST IMPORTANT are your "raw materials" if you use cheap generic raw material your cake will come out cheap. If it is one raw material that you must use is CAKE FLOUR rather then all purpose flour. It is shifted over a 100 times making it very fine, all purpose flour is bettet used for breads and doughs, but NOT for cake.

Red velvet, Raspberry, triple chocalate, upside down pinenapple, Caramel is my mom #1 seller and the hardest to make because of the icing, pound cakes etc. Your oven the types of pans you use, it is so many things that have to happen for you cake to come out perfect and that is what any good baker strives for is perfection.

Many people always ask" did you go to school to learn how to bake" and I chuckle and say no school you ever heard of. The WORST cakes on the planet are "store bought" cakes they taste so ARTIFICIAL compares to a homemade. Do some of you want to know why mother makes so much money in selling cakes? because NO ONE knows how to bake anymore.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I was married in the Dominican Republic and one of the worst cakes I ever tasted was in DR with my wedding cake, not because the bakers did not know how to bake, but their "raw materials" I can taste right away what type of materials was used to make a cake if they are cheap or name brand. The raw materials for baking are very expensive and if you try to cut corners a real cake baker can tell. You can't use expensive flour then use cheap no name butter( and all butter is not the same)

I do not like Helados Bon because it tastes very cheap. I work for Nestle Usa and Haagen Dazs and I have seen first hand would goes into making a premuim ice cream such as Haagen Dazs at the Laurel MD plant. If some of you can see the cost of creating a pint of strawberry ice cream at Haagen Dazs compared to other companies you would be shocked. One raw material that other companies cannot afford to add to their receipe are "egg yolks" this and the high butter fat used is what set us apart from the rest of the planet when creating ice cream.

FOOD is not something you can cut corners on, if you do the FOOD will not lie unlike man.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
This is THE place the high-end locals buy their special cakes.

(Although I agree about Price Smart, good product for the $$$.)

Tastes vary.

It's number one on google for "reposteria santiago" lol.. don't go thinkin pollogringo is a high end local or knows anything about the DR..

Dec 26, 2011
This is THE place the high-end locals buy their special cakes.

(Although I agree about Price Smart, good product for the $$$.)

Tastes vary.

Here in my part of Gringolandia, we had a guy that studied baking in Germany. He was an artist. Had the wife and kids working with him. $40 to him and his tribe for a product of exquisite quality or 15$ to the foreign-owned grocery store for tolerable mediocrity, a couple times a year. It was a no-brainer for me. But the majority rules. He was forced to sell a few months ago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican cake? god help me. this is the most disgusting thing i've ever tasted. gross. at first i was really enthusiastic about it thinking the white stuff on the top is whipped cream. no such luck. sticky and yucky stuff. and for some reason, it is never kept cold. weird.
but then i am used to european style cakes so i get all glassy eyed at the sight of schwarzw?lder kirschtorte. whipped cream rules. i do not like marzipan, i do not like icing, i do not like jams.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Then, dv8, you will be happy to know the Belgian bakery will open an outlet in Infinity Blue, in Sosua. Don't know exactly when. It will be run by the complex, but he is supplying the stuff.

BelgianK

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wedding cake here in the DR, was the best cake I ever tasted!!!!!
But, I'll bet my "Divorce Cake" will be even better!
Super National had a "2-fer" sale on French Baggets last week.
I got them, and they were surprisingly good.
Stayed great for 3 days.
By then, they were gone.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
My wedding cake here in the DR, was the best cake I ever tasted!!!!!
But, I'll bet my "Divorce Cake" will be even better!
Super National had a "2-fer" sale on French Baggets last week.
I got them, and they were surprisingly good.
Stayed great for 3 days.
By then, they were gone.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You're a lifer.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My mother in-law bakes a good cake but I never ever let her put icing on it if it is for me. I dislike the meringue topping. Just not a fan of beaten egg whites as a icing.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Hmmm it seems that the taste of Dominican cake is in the Tastebuds of the beholder, But as for me, I love dominican cake. Especially with pineapple filling, Guava, im dont like it that much. I got family buying cakes from BJs and walmart, and let me tell you, the one in Bjs too darn sweet i almost gagged, and the walmart cake, was mediocre. For me, if its not bizcocho dominicano, then, quitalo de mi camino.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I usually leave the icing on my plate ,give me dry Streusel Coffeecake any day
Manu