Call center jobs,, what do they pay? (In Santiago)

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Most Dominicans, including the ones you paid would refer to you as a Pendejo.

LOL they did and told me they would just have stolen the rest to get a decent wage. I told them if i catch you thieving i'll machete your hand and you'll not work for me again. As far as I know they haven't thieved

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
LOL they did and told me they would just have stolen the rest to get a decent wage. I told them if i catch you thieving i'll machete your hand and you'll not work for me again. As far as I know they haven't thieved
Are you a hands on manager?

Reactions: Caonabo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The reason they wouldn't work for you again is because you would be spending nights at La Victoria with their cousins, brothers and friends. OH! would they love you.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
What planet are you from???
"you work in that exploitative industry " The call center industry is one of the better jobs in the D.R. as well as many other countries ESPECIALLY if the person speaks English. I paid above average always to attract the best talent in both hourly plus commissions plus contributed to benefits. You really don't have a clue. I am personal friends with one of the largest centers in the country and he not only has a cafeteria on site but also daycare. Have you ever stepped foot in the D.R? Do you have any clue what the average worker makes? I had Spanish speaking reps years ago in S.D. because of commissions making 32,000 RD / month. This may not seem like much to you but this was S.D., Spanish speaker 11 years ago. IF you know someone that lives here ask them what they think about that. Granted not all centers are legit or pay very well and some steal employee commissions but many restaurante owners also steal employee tips , Damn man you are really lost.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
And how exactly could they steal from you in Environmental conservation? What goods and/or services did you provide? Would they pad their hours? add miles driven? which some probably did anyway.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
could you live on it ?

I'm not the DR government nor do I set the labor laws here (which could include minimum wage etc...)... I have chosen to work for a company from a country that is not the DR.... There is also the average salary for any industry that is country-specific (please refer above where a poster said that if you were to pay ridiculous salary in a zona franca, you would get managers angry) I don't determine those (market rates) either...

That being said, you'd better ask that question from the government, as they are one of the biggest employers here and a huge part of their professionals earn much less than call center workers...

Reactions: JD Jones

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm not trying to offend here but some very trustworthy employees you have... In the past, I worked with a group of Dominicans (as a team, I was not their boss), and they were one of the best people I've ever worked with... We all got paid very strictly the market rate and they were very trustworthy and good people...

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
What planet are you from???
"you work in that exploitative industry " The call center industry is one of the better jobs in the D.R. as well as many other countries ESPECIALLY if the person speaks English. I paid above average always to attract the best talent in both hourly plus commissions plus contributed to benefits. You really don't have a clue. I am personal friends with one of the largest centers in the country and he not only has a cafeteria on site but also daycare. Have you ever stepped foot in the D.R? Do you have any clue what the average worker makes? I had Spanish speaking reps years ago in S.D. because of commissions making 32,000 RD / month. This may not seem like much to you but this was S.D., Spanish speaker 11 years ago. IF you know someone that lives here ask them what they think about that. Granted not all centers are legit or pay very well and some steal employee commissions but many restaurante owners also steal employee tips , Damn man you are really lost.
My rent in SD then was $750

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
due tell big spender, what exactly did you pay???

OK so they were higher payed I think was looking for accounts but, wife thinks it was 50,000 and they live in the campo and did not have to pay rent.I think they were worth it. They only worked 3/4 days a week, mostly 3, but with some nights away from home.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Which explains why a huge majority of the dominican work force is mediocre, at best.
I don't want to go into a tirade bashing the Dominican work ethic but things
like showing up late, not showing up at all, stealing, manipulating or falsifying
reports and a whole host of other non-professional behaviors don't help when
pushing for wage increases.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
OK so they were higher payed I think was looking for accounts but, wife thinks it was 50,000 and they live in the campo and did not have to pay rent.I think they were worth it. They only worked 3/4 days a week, mostly 3, but with some nights away from home.
weekly, bi-weekly or per month?

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I'm not trying to offend here but some very trustworthy employees you have... In the past, I worked with a group of Dominicans (as a team, I was not their boss), and they were one of the best people I've ever worked with... We all got paid very strictly the market rate and they were very trustworthy and good people...

I trusted them fully, my life was in there hands most of the time. I also trusted their honesty. We had a great times even went to Cuba and travelled from Santiago to Havana first time any of then had flown, it was a priviledge to give them that experience