Camping, Campgrounds in The DR?

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Regarding my Spanish... In time.

Regarding consuming local... Again, in time.

Regarding "...another NGO..."... Historically proven to be an asset if properly managed. And what "...independent/entrepreneurs..." feel towards it is not the deciding factor of whether it can be useful... "...independent/entrepreneurs..." are typically just that, independent and are for building themselves, not building community... Which is what an association is for.

Regarding government... I just took a look at the Dominican Republic Tourism Official Website and saw nothing really about ecotourism being promoted (certainly nothing about camping). Government facilities are notoriously behind the eight-ball in keeping up with consumer trends and this seems to be the case here. But this is not to say that efforts are not being made in other areas.

I just Googled "...DR Touristic Cluster..." and a Harvard paper came up. I'll take a look at it.

One thing I've learned through experience is not to be too quick when considering what people are saying.

Here's the DR tourism website I referenced...

https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/
Got it, I'm aware of your skeptcisim and it's understandable. Here's some resources of how ecotourism is been moving around the country:

Market size: 2 million tourists explored the DR with ecotours ecotours in the DR in 2022:

Private side of business:
- Popular just made a campaign last year: https://popularenlinea.com/Personas...pular-lanzan-campana-Turismo-cada-rincon.aspx

- And every month loads of regional small events sponsored by the businesses associations on each province promoting internal tourism and ecotours.

DR Clusters:
Every region in the DR, ecotourism is managed regionally or locally. Just an example:

- Ocoa as a destination:

But, there's plenty of cluster entities that manage tourism, according to their own interests:
- Barahona / Pedernales: https://gobarahona.com/quienes-somos/
- La Romana (heavily focused in luxury tourism) explorelaromana.com
- Cluster Puerto Plata (also focused in AI instead of ecotourism) https://clusterpuertoplata.com/

You're welcome.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's just say that a camping business does well in the DR. By some method in which most of us are clueless as to how this could be remotely possible.

This success will be noticed and copied until everyone in the business struggles to make money at that business.
Rib joints on the way up to the Eco touristic paradise of Jarabacoa, is just one example of that.

And do it goes, in the DR.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This nonsense had generated more paperwork and now 83 posts of lengthy, irrelevant citings from google and general banter that goes on and on like a bad case of IBS, all reminiscent of past members who have otherwise been terminated 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
johhne, I could not agree with you more. But some people think they have a good idea because of "world trends".

So let's go camping in Afghanistan, or maybe the DR, Yeah, that's it, the DR! NOT.

LOL... Yeh... "Some people..." and their... "good idea because of "world trends"..." thoughts.

Sheesh... It's a good thing that something like the internet that we're using every day just popped up out of the ground completely contrary to "...world trends...".

Or, perhaps, we can thank God for those who think beyond their fear, and strive to move according to what they see.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

Camping not advised here...according to the author of this article. I didn't look for a negative article but in fact it was the first one that popped up. Personally, based on a survey on one person, yo, I can't think of ANYTHING I would like to do less than this.

Really...

And yet the opening says... "We don’t recommend just pitching your tent anywhere in this country, it isn’t illegal, but it isn’t so safe either. However, there are a few key and beautiful spots on the island that are ideal for doing so. We’ve put together a list of tested and true camping areas around the island. Camping in these spots will allow you to visit the whole island on a budget with a gazillion star rating ;)."

If camping wasn't advised... Why would the author of the article "...put together a list of tested and true camping areas around the island."... And then continue saying... "Camping in these spots will allow you to visit the whole island on a budget with a gazillion star rating ;)"?

Did you not read the article, johne?

It's actually a great article that fully supports the idea of camping in the DR. But it does so while at the same time advising folks to be wise and use caution... Which is what people who drive on DR roadways should also do.

So... Thanks for finding the article and posting it here... As it supports what I've said.

What else you got?

Reactions: ben jammin

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Really...

And yet the opening says... "We don’t recommend just pitching your tent anywhere in this country, it isn’t illegal, but it isn’t so safe either. However, there are a few key and beautiful spots on the island that are ideal for doing so. We’ve put together a list of tested and true camping areas around the island. Camping in these spots will allow you to visit the whole island on a budget with a gazillion star rating ;)."

If camping wasn't advised... Why would the author of the article "...put together a list of tested and true camping areas around the island."... And then continue saying... "Camping in these spots will allow you to visit the whole island on a budget with a gazillion star rating ;)"?

Did you not read the article, johne?

It's actually a great article that fully supports the idea of camping in the DR. But it does so while at the same time advising folks to be wise and use caution... Which is what people who drive on DR roadways should also do.

So... Thanks for finding the article and posting it here... As it supports what I've said.

What else you got?
Oh boy that didn't take long... here come the apo' emojis!

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
ETA: With the current situation of an open border with Haiti and the recent killing of entire family (in the campo) "camping or any variation of camping", would be a very hard sell IMO. Perhaps tourists don't live with this information on a daily basis, as the DR has an image in their minds of something quite different ,but for those of us that live here our mind set is in a different place.

And yet... It's presently being done... And enjoyed... By both tourists and locals.

Perhaps your "...those of us who live here..." is not quite as all-encompassing as you would like to think.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Got it, I'm aware of your skeptcisim and it's understandable. Here's some resources of how ecotourism is been moving around the country:

Market size: 2 million tourists explored the DR with ecotours ecotours in the DR in 2022:

Private side of business:
- Popular just made a campaign last year: https://popularenlinea.com/Personas...pular-lanzan-campana-Turismo-cada-rincon.aspx

- And every month loads of regional small events sponsored by the businesses associations on each province promoting internal tourism and ecotours.

DR Clusters:
Every region in the DR, ecotourism is managed regionally or locally. Just an example:

- Ocoa as a destination:

But, there's plenty of cluster entities that manage tourism, according to their own interests:
- Barahona / Pedernales: https://gobarahona.com/quienes-somos/
- La Romana (heavily focused in luxury tourism) explorelaromana.com
- Cluster Puerto Plata (also focused in AI instead of ecotourism) https://clusterpuertoplata.com/

You're welcome.

Dude... Relax... This isn't a competition to see who knows more about the matter. Chill. This is just an exercise in exploring the matter of camping/campgrounds in the DR.

Everything you presented in your quoted speaking above supports what I've been saying... Including perhaps the need for some sort of official association.

Clusters are a type of association environment/effort, and therefore, the fact that these clusters have been formed indicates the need for an association of sorts was recognized as being needed.

But take a look at your own presentation of them... Individual links to individual resources.

Would it not have been cool to have been able to provide one link to a resource from which all this information could be accessed?

Each of these individual efforts has the focus of promoting what is being done in a locality, or by an individual person... However, an association effort would promote the fact that these efforts are being done all over the DR... And been an asset in helping someone learn more and find them... There is a difference between ease of information access and having to spend time hunting down needed info.

I'm well aware of the history of ecotourism and it's trending growth over the past few decades. And as anyone who read the Harvard report I linked to in an above comment would have seen... As far back as 2012 there was a recommendation for the DR government to pursue ecotourism with more effort and commitment. And what seems to be happening today suggests that this advice is being taken.

But big ships take time to turn... And require a lot of space to do so... And depend on small pilot boats to assist them when in tight spaces.

You said you're "...aware of [my] skepticism and it's understandable..."... But I'm absolutely not skeptical... And in fact, have been greatly encouraged by what you've presented as this is what I want to hear.

I didn't create this thread because I was skeptical... I created it because I want to be an encourager of what I know exists in the DR, so as to help its growth and positive effect on DR's socioeconomic environment.

Did you see that in my very first comment... My opening comment... I presented a video of how inexpensive/easy it can be to build a camping trailer?
I did this in support of the thought of encouraging the camping/ecotourism movement in the DR... It's what I enjoy doing.

Now there are certainly others here that seem to live to poopoo on the thoughts of some... But after almost thirty years of online forum participation, I know you'll come across all types... Trolls... Debbie Downers... You name it... Even violent people. I once had a person ask me where I lived because he wanted to come and punch me in the face. I simply told him that since I didn't want to be punched in the face I would not tell him where I lived. End of that story.

Anywho... Thanks for your input... It's been very helpful... And I'm sure not just to me, but to one or two others as well.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since this is the Business forum, why don’t you share with us exactly the type of business you envision? Buying or leasing land? Adding: Trailers? Tents? Pods? Meals? Security? Bathing facilities? Side trips/tours? Weekend getaway or longer stays? Copying something already available here in eco tourism, or do you envision something different?

Reactions: MoJoInDR

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Are you trying to "encourage" people to camp or are you trying to start a business for camping? It would help if you were clearer.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Since this is the Business forum, why don’t you share with us exactly the type of business you envision? Buying or leasing land? Adding: Trailers? Tents? Pods? Meals? Security? Bathing facilities? Side trips/tours? Weekend getaway or longer stays? Copying something already available here in eco tourism, or do you envision something different?

Absolutely... I have long been a bottom-up marketing exponent... Al Reis and Jack Trout wrote a book on it that I read and received some light from. This is why I enjoy and pursue researching markets at the consumer level, finding out what's in their minds. And a great asset to this research is the online forum, in all its wonderful, and often not so wonderful, forms.

Based on what I've gleaned here on this thread, and from other info sources, I'd say that like most other business opportunities, it's not an exact science...

Buying or leasing land... Depends on your vision/goal and available financial resources. Both can work... But location and what the land offers will be crucially important to success potential.

Adding trailers, tents, pods, meals, security, bathing facilities... As we've seen in some of the comments, many people might find venturing too far from the norms of everyday life to be a bridge too far... Especially the older consumer market. When I was a teen through my late twenties I would have no problem sleeping on a beach when pursuing waves to surf. But my wife wasn't so disposed. I guess what I'm getting at is that your target market would need to be identified, and, along with vision/goal/financial resources, a related plan created and properly executed.

Side trips/tours, getaways, longer stays... See above.

Copying something already available... My father always thought that the wheel didn't need to be reinvented, just learn from what has been done and maybe put a new spin on it. I recently read an article on a married couple with kids who just switched career gears, bought a campground and couldn't be happier. The key to this is that the husband, who was the main earner, had always loved camping as a kid, and when he considered what he really wanted to do at this stage of his life, he realized that doing something with camping is what would make him happy. He spoke to his wife about it, she was one with him, and they made the change. Find what makes you happy to work on... Then look at what others who are doing the same thing are doing and learn from them.

For me... My interest is in agritourism, as it will take me into an outdoor environment and farming, and it will give me the opportunity to help others discover/recover the joys available through participation in both... I get to help myself and people, which is what I want to do... And money... I've always believed that hard work pays off... But thankfully my wife and I have decreased our lifestyle and really don't require much... Which is wonderfully freeing.

I've spent the past seven months conducting research for the project my wife and I would like to develop in the DR, and a lot of what I've spoken about here came up in my research... Even something like shinrin yoku (Japanese), which I know is relatable to a lot of DR's natural environment.

So... There's the what do you like to do... What are your available resources... What is the targeted consumer market... What are their thoughts regarding what you like to do and the resources you have available way.

Or... You can just copy and paste, throw a lot of money at it, and hope it works out. It's been successfully done. But I personally like the adventure of building something from the ground up that has my person built into it. It all depends on your purpose for doing it.

But again... For me... I see long-term value in agritourism... Which is why I was impressed with what the folks at Taino Farm are doing.

I will add this though... The possibility of having multiple campground locations throughout the DR that could be toured (you'd be transported from one location to the next) is something I'd consider. You'd develop the basic infrastructure and then locate the same in the various locations... Kind of like a franchised product... But each location would need to have its own uniqueness... The same infrastructure, but a unique outward presentation... This could then be all branded under one brand that could be developed in a way that represents all that campers desire from their camping experience... Multiple locations that give multiple different outward experiences, while at the same time taking care of the camper's inward fundamental concerns (security, amenities, etc.)... And this could be done in a co-op type of way... By partnering with existing assets/properties.

Always though... Not trying to force something on the environment... But working from the bottom up with the environment... Which is actually what "...eco..." is all about.

Hope the above helps.

Thanks for the comment/question... And if more is needed, I can point you in the direction of other resources.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Are you trying to "encourage" people to camp or are you trying to start a business for camping? It would help if you were clearer.

I thought I'd been clear even from my thread in the introduction section... As well as here in this thread... But I'll state it again, in a bit more detail.

The goal of my wife and I is to find land (a farm) that can be turned into a type of vocational training facility for underprivileged youth... With a focus on migrant Haitian youth. Included within this vocational training would be farming, forestry, and hospitality, and the various matters related to each... The goal is to equip these young migrant Haitians with the necessary skills to become productive members of the community they live in... And, possibly enable them to be repatriated to Haiti with the mission of rebuilding local communities using the skills they have learned.

The foundation of the training would be on life, truth, service (capacity), and character... And I believe that a farming environment is an ideal environment to learn the fundamentals of all four.

Where camping comes in is in regard to hospitality... Learning to care for people who come as guests to your environment. It can also be a source of alternate income for the training center.

Why the Dr?

Some years ago my eyes were drawn to 600 acres in the state of Arkansas. I wanted to live in the middle of the property and not be bothered by anyone.

Except my wife wasn't big on the idea.

We then looked at Costa Rica... Which certainly has a draw... But then my wife began to consider the DR, where she has family. That was about five years ago, and I wasn't big on it (language barrier)... But at the beginning of this year, I succumbed to giving it a look at began to see something beyond just somewhere to retire to... I began to see the opportunity to do some relevant work for many more years... And so did my wife.

And so here we are... Pursuing a possible move to the DR.

This camping thread in which I'm trying to encourage people... Just an overflow from other work I'm doing.

Hope the above helps.

Reactions: ben jammin

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Just stop.

IMG_3473.jpeg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I thought I'd been clear even from my thread in the introduction section... As well as here in this thread... But I'll state it again, in a bit more detail.

The goal of my wife and I is to find land (a farm) that can be turned into a type of vocational training facility for underprivileged youth... With a focus on migrant Haitian youth. Included within this vocational training would be farming, forestry, and hospitality, and the various matters related to each... The goal is to equip these young migrant Haitians with the necessary skills to become productive members of the community they live in... And, possibly enable them to be repatriated to Haiti with the mission of rebuilding local communities using the skills they have learned.

The foundation of the training would be on life, truth, service (capacity), and character... And I believe that a farming environment is an ideal environment to learn the fundamentals of all four.

Where camping comes in is in regard to hospitality... Learning to care for people who come as guests to your environment. It can also be a source of alternate income for the training center.

Why the Dr?

Some years ago my eyes were drawn to 600 acres in the state of Arkansas. I wanted to live in the middle of the property and not be bothered by anyone.

Except my wife wasn't big on the idea.

We then looked at Costa Rica... Which certainly has a draw... But then my wife began to consider the DR, where she has family. That was about five years ago, and I wasn't big on it (language barrier)... But at the beginning of this year, I succumbed to giving it a look at began to see something beyond just somewhere to retire to... I began to see the opportunity to do some relevant work for many more years... And so did my wife.

And so here we are... Pursuing a possible move to the DR.

This camping thread in which I'm trying to encourage people... Just an overflow from other work I'm doing.

Hope the above helps.
Yep, you have been perfectly clear from the get go as to what you want and desire. I have no idea what-so-ever what you want from this forum...other than affirmation of you dream and retirement package as there is NO doubt in my mind you are ready with your boxing gloves on to raise objections to the negatives. That is without a doubt in my mind a flaw in how you conduct research. I repeat,IN MY MIND.You have fallen in love. Just like a boy meets girl and "falls in love and is not listening to nada. Nada as in he doesn't want to listen the girl has no teeth. Hair on her face and smells bad.
You sound like you have worked for corporate America for a very long time. Data points. Charts. Graphs.
You glossed over moving a forty foot trailer up the roads to Jaraboca. You skipped on by trouble at the border in spite of the fact THE US STATE DEPT. issued
a get out of the country yesterday to all Americans. Your response was something along the lines "we are living with that now". LOL.You started out with some sort of put down on other people in the past that never dug deep another in their research. How do you now that? Your research was tainted with NA and Euro data. It was pointed out to you very patiently by the mods more than once. You didn't like what they had to say either LOL

Finally, I have no horse in this race. I don't care to put a horse in the race or care to defend this post. It is my opinion and it stands as is.
To the mods, if I have abused the TOS in any way feel free to edit, delete, bomb or ...whatever.
To the OP please don't feel obligated to respond to me. Not necessary as your posts kinda get long winded. That reminds of what of one of the world's foremost investors has always said: "If you can't explain to me your business and how it make money in two sentences...I'm not interested.

Reactions: Drperson and Jan

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
To the OP please don't feel obligated to respond to me. Not necessary as your posts kinda get long winded. That reminds of what of one of the world's foremost investors has always said: "If you can't explain to me your business and how it make money in two sentences...I'm not interested.
Amen to that brother 🙏🙏🙏

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Yep, you have been perfectly clear from the get go as to what you want and desire. I have no idea what-so-ever what you want from this forum...other than affirmation of you dream and retirement package as there is NO doubt in my mind you are ready with your boxing gloves on to raise objections to the negatives. That is without a doubt in my mind a flaw in how you conduct research. I repeat,IN MY MIND.You have fallen in love. Just like a boy meets girl and "falls in love and is not listening to nada. Nada as in he doesn't want to listen the girl has no teeth. Hair on her face and smells bad.
You sound like you have worked for corporate America for a very long time. Data points. Charts. Graphs.
You glossed over moving a forty foot trailer up the roads to Jaraboca. You skipped on by trouble at the border in spite of the fact THE US STATE DEPT. issued
a get out of the country yesterday to all Americans. Your response was something along the lines "we are living with that now". LOL.You started out with some sort of put down on other people in the past that never dug deep another in their research. How do you now that? Your research was tainted with NA and Euro data. It was pointed out to you very patiently by the mods more than once. You didn't like what they had to say either LOL

Finally, I have no horse in this race. I don't care to put a horse in the race or care to defend this post. It is my opinion and it stands as is.
To the mods, if I have abused the TOS in any way feel free to edit, delete, bomb or ...whatever.

Nothing of what you said in your above comment regarding me is true... Much like your comment about the article you gave a link for being "...negative..." about camping.

Here's what you said... "...Camping not advised here...according to the author of this article. I didn't look for a negative article but in fact it was the first one that popped up. Personally, based on a survey on one person, yo, I can't think of ANYTHING I would like to do less than this."

Thing is... You were absolutely in error... The article was NOT advising to not camp... It was saying to go camp, using caution, and you will love it.

Maybe you have a hard time understanding the English language. Whatever it is... It seems you just make things up as you feel fit even if what you're saying is not true. Do better than that, johne... It's all there in pixels for all to see what I have actually said, and if someone takes the time to read what I have said they'll wonder to themselves what the hell are you saying.

Additionally... Take your own advice...If you don't like my "...long-winded..." comments... Here's a thought... Don't read them... And... Don't comment on them. Just move on to another thread... No one is forcing you to participate in any thread I create.

Finally... Elevator pitches (two-sentence business explanations) are wonderful ear ticklers and make good TV sound bites... But no investor will invest their money based on a two-sentence explanation of a business concept... This is why a one-page presentation is the first real presentation an investor will use to truly consider a business proposal... And, why a full-blown business plan must usually follow.

This is an online forum thread that I created and will speak to, as the rules of the forum allow, which is what I've done. I have no idea why it's upset you so much... But that's your deal, not mine.

The content that has come up on this thread has been mostly useful in it being informative, which is one of the reasons for online forum threads. If you've got nothing useful to add, and can only stoop to a personal attack, then I feel sorry for you, but hope things can change.

Now, putting the negativity behind us... Let's look forward to me buying you a cerveza on a beach one day soon.