can anyone identify this plant?

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Lapurr your right on.
What I found, is that this plant is very close to the 'Massangeana' of the Dracaena fragrans family. good job!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
New plant needing indentification

This one has red tassels and is a young cutting:

SANY0401.jpg

Any ideas?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The first one is Cardo Santo as people have already pointed out. When I was growing up people who would get "boquera" (Not sure what they call it in English...Anyone knows?) used the "milk" of its leaves to cure it.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
More plants growing

You folks are great!
Finally, these plants/ flowers are being identified. Some have been around, (at our other house) for over a decade. I have always wondered and even tried to find them on the web but there are so many different genius', families, sub-families etc. etc... I eventually gave up the searches.
DR1 comes through again. Thanks everybody and if you are a participant in this just PM me for some plant freebies.
Here's yet another:

SANY0400.jpg

look familiar? We have a few of these, this one is doing better in the shady part of the landscape/ garden. Someone called it elephant ears years ago, is this correct?

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Argemone Mexicana L.

This photo is the exact match to what is growing on our stable road.
Today I looked at it a bit more and found that there are 5 little tiny ones growing in the vicinity of the three larger ones. One of them is seeding and I will save/ germinate the seeds.
Argemone Mexicana L.
PCD3446_IMG0031.JPG

Photo credit:
Bransford, W.D. Mrs...............Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

Plant found on stable road:

SANY0367.jpg

Caz

May 15, 2004
The mystery plant looks like it could be the variegated type of pandanus (screw pine - no jokes please!!!) going by the saw-toothed edges to the leaves. If so - it will get quite large.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
This plant is called 'Cardo Santo'. I remember my beloved Granny telling me about this plant. There's something about this plant helping cure lip blisters and some other sh*ts.

zeus

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Caladiums?

Thanks again John. You know your plant's~
Suarezn, ZEUS answered your translation with 'lip blisters", boquera. There are also other healing properties with the milk of this plant, some have been posted.
curtandsandi & ninapup all correct, thank you. I took some tassels and put them in some dirt, we'll see what happens. Apparently the plant from seed will do much better than a cutting with this particular plant.
Caz, I looked up pandanus and could not find a good match. This plant does not bear any fruit. So far Lapurr's post of corn plant (Dracaena fragans) is the best match up.
It's amazing when you get into this all the different similarities of different species there are in the world.

Like this plant here:

SANY0400.jpg

Still don't know what it is. It is similiar, kind of, in shape like this one:

SANY0393.jpg

Which I don't know what it is either. Caladiums?

Even this vine like plant:

SANY0399.jpg

has a similiar leaf, but I know it must be from a completely different family.
Same with this unknown flowery looking plant:

SANY0395.jpg

Anybody recognize any of these?

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
The fourth one is a variety of coleus and the second I believe is a caldium. The mystery plant which looks like a corn plant (Dracaena) is a mystery to me. I don't believe it to be a corn plant which has a smoother leaf. I have seen this plant before and when it is large could cause some nasty cuts as the leaves are very sharp edged. The #1 plant is a mytery to me too. I believe I have it growing in my garden and mine is climbing and seems after about 4 years to have attached itself to a pole. It has set out roots on the pole and looks like it could be parasitic. Is yours starting to set vines or wanting to climb? But perhaps we don't have the same thing.

J

John Evans

ooops had to edit as i was answering what has already been answered

J

John Evans

heres some names for you to play with
Alocasia -elephant ears type things
Colocasia- more elephant type things
Xanthosoma-similar type greenery
Philodendron- bet you have at least one of these (found outside Baileys lol)

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Nice all

I cannot guess what type of plants these area as I am "challenged" :cheeky: when it comes to having a green thumb. In other words in regards to plants I don't know my AZZ from a ,( lol had to look up name on this thread ;) ), Alocasia !

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all who post pictures and those who guess or can name the plants as this is a great thread and highly educational.

SO THANKS ALL ;)

Last edited:

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
New photo

Ok folks, for the coleus (thanks ninapup) it's a mix between "pat martin" and "scarlett wizard" i.e. Solenostemon scutellarioides.
Caladiums unknown at this point. Many varieties of elephant ears, this needs to be furthur researched and this is majorly time consuming. Perhaps someone will venture into this thread and say "hey, I know what that is!"

So, until then...maybe some more pictures?

This little specimen is a cutting from the mother plant. These can get very tall and have white flowers. Look carefully...picture is bad, the grass growing is the same hue as the plant, sorry :)

SANY0397.jpg

Any guess'?

Leekiv, it's alright if your green thumb is a shade off. This thread is intended for learning and sharing. I, for one, have had many of these plants for years and still don't know what they are. Highly educational for all.

J

John Evans

frangipani - one of my favourites
when i move can i come and get cuttings of all these plants

cuas

May 29, 2006
The first one is Cardo Santo as people have already pointed out. When I was growing up people who would get "boquera" (Not sure what they call it in English...Anyone knows?) used the "milk" of its leaves to cure it.

Isn't it cold sores or herpes?