can anyone identify this plant?

The name of it is pringamosa.

There grows something like this down here in Cura?ao, the locals call it
Bringamosa but it is definetely not the one in this picture. I'll try and put up
a picture but the bush is near a bar and I tend to forget things later on.
They use the stems here to get rid of goats and other pests.
Once you end up in one of those bushes, mala suerte

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
common tropical flower

Thanks pkaide1, that is good info.
Wile E. Coyote, that would be great if you could get a picture of Bringamosa from Curacao. Just remember to take the picture BEFORE you start drinking and please don't end up in it, that "would" be bad luck :)

Since this thread has become somewhat dormant lately I will post another picture. This should be easy for most, it is very common.

SANY0477.jpg

closer image:

SANY0478.jpg

Anyone recognize this?

cotu?sano

Feb 26, 2008
www.selikor.com
There grows something like this down here in Cura?ao, the locals call it
Bringamosa but it is definetely not the one in this picture. I'll try and put up
a picture but the bush is near a bar and I tend to forget things later on.
They use the stems here to get rid of goats and other pests.
Once you end up in one of those bushes, mala suerte

Bringamosa

No, definitely not the same

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Reese, is that periwinkle (vinca)? I was always told thats what you called it, but google periwinkle doesn't quite look like your photo.

J

John Evans

the flower is impatiens-like but i think the leaf is tougher - ive seen the plant but I have failed on the name

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I too thought the flower looked like an impatiens (I used to grow lots of them), but the plant seemed so much bigger than the ones I am accustomed to, and leaves slightly different.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol

the flower is impatiens-like but i think the leaf is tougher - ive seen the plant but I have failed on the name

I have no luck with "impatiens" as I suppose I am just "impatient" :cheeky:

Lovely flowers though.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Chirimoya, LOL this is a very tolerant plant. They can be invasive, and don't mind a bit of a drought.
This plant is called Catharanthus Roseus or commonly named vinca rosea. Don't be fooled it is not vinca minor/ major. That specific plant is a ground cover.
The Catharanthus Roseus can be hallucinigenic....jeez, I have a lot of plants that can literally blow your mind :)
This "madagascar periwinkle" is loaded with alkaloids, which have been used in anticancer drugs. Also, when injected will suppress blood vessels that tumors need to thrive.
In India it is used to treat wasp stings (leaves).
In Hawaii it's boiled for a poultice to stop bleeding.
In China and Central/ South America it's used for a cough suppressant.
In the Caribbean it's flowers are know to help eye infections.
In Jamaica it's used as a tea for diabetes.
This plant has many uses and it's pretty, flowering most of the year.
The alkaloids (very high in nitrogen), reserpine and serpentine specifically are tranquilizers that are strong.
Some side effects are nausea and hair loss, so don't go trying to eat this stuff. Also rumored to be harmful to children and animals.
John Evans the flowers are similair to impatiens especially the "walleriana". The stems are sturdier and each stem only puts out one flower, thus when pruned properly it can look like a globe of flowers.....but you already knew that, didn't ya?

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
leekiv, impatiens should be easy to maintain. Keep it in the shade, out of the sun and water once they start drooping.
Here are some impatiens at the ranch:

SANY0479.jpg

SANY0480.jpg

SANY0481.jpg

SANY0482.jpg

All these plants were started with two inch pieces.

J

John Evans

I cant get plants to have flowers on here - or they dont last long whats your secret - and whats that orange one on the picture lol -it looks euphorbia-ish

J

John Evans

i saw a recipe for banana flowers - somehow they dont look that tempting to eat

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
impatiens

John, the orange group of flowers is impatiens. These are very easy to grow. My trick is the soil. Our soil here on the ranch is so rich in nutrients the plants grow like crazy and bloom profusely. It takes some work to have really good soil and time. I hardly ever have to water, the plants get there food naturally, less diseases and if I work the bed correctly hardly any weeds. Now some of my pictures in previous posts are surrounded by grass/ weeds this is due to negligence on my part. I am so busy here that I have to switch job details and some things go unmaintained for a while :)

Here are a few more shots of the impatiens around our place:

SANY0492.jpg

SANY0493.jpg

SANY0494.jpg

As far as edible impatiens, I have read that young shoots can be cooked and eaten, but this is for a selected variety. There is a high content of calcium oxalate, like in some grasses (pangola), and should be thoroughly researched before consuming.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Reese - that lovely red-leafed plant is a ti plant - cordyline frucicosa. I have a load of them and love the vibrant color.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
new flowering plant

Thanks Caz, That is correct! They are so beautiful and I love to grow them, although they take a long time to get established. I have never seen a flower on these and wonder if they produce seed?

Here is yet another flowering plant that needs identifying. It has little yellow flowers.

SANY0450-1.jpg

Anybody recognize these?

J

John Evans

sorry I have no idea on that one- and Ive got loads of it- very difficult to kill this one lol
It has leaves like an iris and flowers like an orchid- seems to prefer the shade...i think it may be a wild flower

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
OK John, maybe you know of this one:

SANY0495.jpg

Looks like a cactus, has little thorns but soft.

Here's another shot (camera has to be replaced)

SANY0496.jpg

Know what it is?