Can we slow down crime here?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
What does statiticts matter. We all hear about more crime and we even see it around us. Obviously gangs can operate almost as they want often with help of the police.

The stats were just to help in backing up my surprise of hearing the DR was listed so close to the top on murder, robberies and rape, as I really just don't think that is true. Plus, this thread was started on stats! Sure, crime is a rising problem here. But as cobraboy said..

Not until the world economic situation settles down. I suspect crime will go up about everywhere economic conditions are bad, DR included.

... Crime is going up everywhere! The rate of crime in the DR is certainly no worse than the countries most of us are from (USA, UK, Canada).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you had to chain your garden furniture down in the UK and padlock hanging baskets to their fixings to stop them going walk- about, and forget having any pots and statues in the garden........used to get things stolen off the washing line quite regularly as well

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yikes... see that's my point! The DR is not so bad. No chaining of our hanging baskets needed here in Cabrera! ;)

I come from a lovely little town of 2000 people in Nova Scotia, Canada.... where my family's home has been broken into a few times over the years, plus bikes stolen from our garage and yard.

The rest of my family is in Scotland, where many of them have been broken into on multiple occasions, and where even in a small town, they have fancy alarm systems protecting their homes!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Police

Yikes... see that's my point! The DR is not so bad. No chaining of our hanging baskets needed here in Cabrera! ;)

I come from a lovely little town of 2000 people in Nova Scotia, Canada.... where my family's home has been broken into a few times over the years, plus bikes stolen from our garage and yard.

The rest of my family is in Scotland, where many of them have been broken into on multiple occasions, and where even in a small town, they have fancy alarm systems protecting their homes!

But in these countries can you go the police and get a fair treatment and trust the police? I never in Europe had to go to the police but I always feelt that if I had to I would be helped. The police are not working together with gangs. I think that makes the difference.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, I am sure the police were called on each of these occasions in Canada and the UK, but I am quite sure nothing was actually resolved any of the times (robbers caught and/or items retrieved)... so trustworthy and fair didn't really help there!

Plus, I am sure many of us could go into other stories were police haven't been trustworthy and fair in these countries (and the USA).. but I won't... this is DR1 after all ;)

Hate to push my DR optimism even more, but as much as I know there are problems with the police here in the DR, all of my experiences with the police here in Cabrera have been great!!

- My friend's watch was stolen on a late night walk home alone, I went with him to tell police, thief was caught within an hour, watch then returned to rightful owner.

- Our donkeys went missing from their field, police saw us looking for them, they then spent hours driving around town asking folks if they'd seen them and looking out for the wandering donkeys! :)

..... Okay, I suppose I wasn't all that pleased the day they picked up my pasola for parking illegally downtown.... but that was my own damn fault and they gave it back with no problem, as soon as I said "I'm sorry!" :) )

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Nice little village

Yes, I am sure the police were called on each of these occasions in Canada and the UK, but I am quite sure nothing was actually resolved any of the times (robbers caught and/or items retrieved)... so trustworthy and fair didn't really help there!

Plus, I am sure many of us could go into other stories were police haven't been trustworthy and fair in these countries (and the USA).. but I won't... this is DR1 after all ;)

Hate to push my DR optimism even more, but as much as I know there are problems with the police here in the DR, all of my experiences with the police here in Cabrera have been great!!

- My friend's watch was stolen on a late night walk home alone, I went with him to tell police, thief was caught within an hour, watch then returned to rightful owner.

- Our donkeys went missing from their field, police saw us looking for them, they then spent hours driving around town asking folks if they'd seen them and looking out for the wandering donkeys! :)

..... Okay, I suppose I wasn't all that pleased the day they picked up my pasola for parking illegally downtown.... but that was my own damn fault and they gave it back with no problem, as soon as I said "I'm sorry!" :) )

Sounds like your town is still nice and peacefull. Hopefully it stays that way. I think the police you are reffering too in Canada etc... would act differently if violence was involved. With theft you get a police report and you can use that with your insurance company. Most police are to busy to be running around looking for stolen watches and a donkey that ran away.

Jan 3, 2003
It's obvious Dominicans are not posting. Well, the OLD SCHOOL Dominicans are not posting at any rate. The solution is simple but with limp wrist Leonel Fernandez that simple solution will not be implemented in any substantial form. Many here want to engage in 1ST World solutions which have never worked there. Deal with crime the way they used to do it in the old days.

YOU EXECUTE CRIMINALS in the streets. Those thugs who have long rap sheets were killed by the police in the old days quite extra-judiciously. Lately, I've been hearing and reading encouraging reports that they are beginning this time tested method once again but the process is quite slow. Hopefully, it will take on a Candelier fury sweeping the nation and once again order will be restored.

A while back an Army major was killed in Boca Chica to remove his army issued weapon. The solution was simple. His family members themselves Army officers went on a warpath. They went to Boca Chica to Los Tanquecitos and stated unabashedly without reservations that they came to KILL those murderers. A chase ensued in which the four culprits were cornered. They begged for mercy and pleaded for their lives. Everyone in the neighborhood knew these cretins and were privy to their continuous crime sprees. The family members executed them on the spot without shame. That's the solution for crime in the DR. Once a few thousand have been quickly exterminated, the DR will be calm and serene as it has been known to be.

As foreigners living in the DR, you should ask for this publicly. Some may believe otherwise but a foreigner's opinion in certain contexts is listened to. I feel this would be one of those moments.

Reactions: AlterEgo

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Blame DR1

Dr1 people are contributing to the high crime rate by advising about Sankies, and decreasing the people sending over money to their Sankies..:cheeky:

Reactions: Africaida

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Could be

Dr1 people are contributing to the high crime rate by advising about Sankies, and decreasing the people sending over money to their Sankies..:cheeky:

Not all that far fetched. Because it is often sankies and prostitutes who turn into hardened criminals when the money run out or they need or want more of it.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Sounds like your town is still nice and peacefull. Hopefully it stays that way. I think the police you are reffering too in Canada etc... would act differently if violence was involved. With theft you get a police report and you can use that with your insurance company. Most police are to busy to be running around looking for stolen watches and a donkey that ran away.

Yes, I too hope it stays this way! I think the fact that my police aren't too busy for such things as watch and donkey searching, is a very good sign for the crime rate in the town!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The thread is about if a bunch of expats on dr1 could take some measures to lower crime rate in DR? hahahahahaha. thanks for the laugh. By the way, what power and influence we gringos possess over anything in this island? Who are we?? Hahahaha
We are only wasting our time on this topic. We are no bodies in this country, only gringos and nothing more. If the government is unable to improve the crime situation in this country, who are we to take any actions? What will you do, civilian gringos patrolling the streets equipped with a flash light? Hahahaha
AZB
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
A real police force, where officers have some actual training and equipment, and get paid more than around $125 USD per month would be a good start. ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The thread is about if a bunch of expats on dr1 could take some measures to lower crime rate in DR? hahahahahaha. thanks for the laugh. By the way, what power and influence we gringos possess over anything in this island? Who are we?? Hahahaha
We are only wasting our time on this topic. We are no bodies in this country, only gringos and nothing more. If the government is unable to improve the crime situation in this country, who are we to take any actions? What will you do, civilian gringos patrolling the streets equipped with a flash light? Hahahaha
AZB
AZB

I've seen it done (Mexico). All it takes is the weight of an internationally known and respected affiliation and an active membership. A group of expatriots in Cuernavaca decided to affiliate with the Mexico DF council of the Navy league and schedule biweekly meetings which were more social gatherings than anything else.

http://www.navyleague.org/membership/membership-brochure.pdf

They would invite the Mayor, Chief of Police, reporters, educators and other prominant Mexicans to speak at their meetings and attend social gatherings, making sure that their participation was properly heralded by the National organization. Setting up a forum for ex-pat's to network directly with community leaders, fund their special projects and bring international attention to cooperative efforts resulted in a safer community for them.

For a 3rd World Police official, having a plaque on the wall recognizing his service from an organization such as this is a big deal. Having a grateful community of ex-pat's and their organization from the 1st World behind him is an even bigger deal.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I've seen it done (Mexico). All it takes is the weight of an internationally known and respected affiliation and an active membership. A group of expatriots in Cuernavaca decided to affiliate with the Mexico DF council of the Navy league and schedule biweekly meetings which were more social gatherings than anything else.

They would invite the Mayor, Chief of Police, reporters, educators and other prominant Mexicans to speak at their meetings and attend social gatherings, making sure that their participation was properly heralded by the National organization. Setting up a forum for ex-pat's to network directly with community leaders, fund their special projects and bring international attention to cooperative efforts resulted in a safer community for them.

For a 3rd World Police official, having a plaque on the wall recognizing his service from an organization such as this is a big deal. Having a grateful community of ex-pat's and their organization from the 1st World behind him is an even bigger deal.

Too bad they can't do anything about Mexico City, or Juarez.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Too bad they can't do anything about Mexico City, or Juarez.

True. Mex DF and the border cities are too far gone now. That's the result of years of head turning and outright complicity in the drug trade by LE. If they'd been earnest about stemming the flow of drugs through their country back in the early 80's the problem wouldn't be out of control today.

Once you stick your hand in the cookie jar, It doesn't matter what you were before that. Now you're just a cookie thief.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

There are laws specifically forbidding non-citizens to get involved in any political activity in the DR.

When you bring in elected officials, it becomes political.