Canada to Rep Dom

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
"Since he is a dual Canadian/DR citizen, he probably has to enter the DR on a DR passport, but that is up to the laws of the DR."

My daughter is a dual citizen and travels with only a canadian passport

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
From what I can see he will most likely be getting his DR passport renewed in Canada before goes to the DR if the DR requires it.

If he is a dual citizen, those citizens are normally required to enter the country using the passport of that country in which they are also a citizen.
Since he is a dual Canadian/DR citizen, he probably has to enter the DR on a DR passport, but that is up to the laws of the DR.

But you and I know that immigration laws in the DR are not always adhered to, or it may just be fine for him to use a Canadian passport. That is something to look into.
Most likely dependant upon the mood of airport official that particular time and day.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
"Since he is a dual Canadian/DR citizen, he probably has to enter the DR on a DR passport, but that is up to the laws of the DR."

A friend of ours from Ottawa hasn’t used his DR passport to enter or exit in about a decade. I don’t know if I’d want to take the risk so a drive to Calgary might be in the cards.
Who knows how much longer until he gets word from CIC about the citizenship application. It’s delayed about 4 months already.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Exactly true. Mr AE’s Dominican passport expired probably 30 years ago. He travels with his US passport.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As with many of the rules in this country, you never know for sure whether they will be enforced until you are standing in front of some official who will decide. Dominicans are supposed to enter and exit the country with their DR passports. More of a risk of a discussion when leaving if a Dominican entered on a foreign passport as a tourist and stayed longer than 30 days and does not wish to pay the overstay fee I would think.

Reactions: Auryn

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As with many of the rules in this country, you never know for sure whether they will be enforced until you are standing in front of some official who will decide. Dominicans are supposed to enter and exit the country with their DR passports. More of a risk of a discussion when leaving if a Dominican entered on a foreign passport as a tourist and stayed longer than 30 days and does not wish to pay the overstay fee I would think.

Not an issue. We stay for months. Mr. AE’s American passport shows his DR birth on it, and he has his cedula, easy peasy. Immigration unlocks his passport in seconds (while I have to go to the separate desk to pay my overstay fee)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
At PUJ they insist on seeing your residence card even thou its all in the system with the same number as the cedula. Its the same logic as getting a blood typing done every time you renew your residency. I don't think anyone has changed their blood type in the history of mankind but the Dominican rules are the Dominican rules regardless of how silly they are.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I spoke to WestJet and Air Canada last week regarding flying into the DR on an expired passport.
To recap: My husband, a Dominican citizen, would have had his Canadian citizenship in July, and planned to renew his Dominican passport during our trip in April. So much for that.
Citizenship looks like a possibility for January-March 2021. Montreal and Toronto are the only places with consulates; Calgary is not. We’re out west. He would have to either make a week-10 day long trip to complete the process and have his passport in hand, or fly out twice within that time frame.
WestJet said (obviously) that a valid Canadian ID was required for domestic flights and that expired passport didn’t matter if the country of destination accepted. She put me on a brief hold and came back to say that the DR would accept it’s citizens on expired passports.
Air Canada had no idea, and put me on a very long hold to check on this. Then the agent came back and said: valid Canadian ID for domestic, international depended on destination, DR checked out and would allow him. He then recommended I call the CBSA(??) to double check. But they don’t care at all unless you’re on the return to Canada.
Essentially, the short version: Dominicans can fly home on an expired passport.

Reactions: AlterEgo

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I mentioned earlier that WestJet has returned to daily flights from Toronto to Punta Cana in November. One of our kids and a friend were booking and WestJet has also added a second daily flight on Saturdays and Sundays. They must be getting a lot of bookings to add a second flight. I think its great news.
They also tried to book rooms at Barcelo Palace Premium Suites and were told its sold out for that time.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have purchased a ticket on West Jet from POP to Toronto for 6 November; My second option will be Punta Cana to Toronto on 7 November if the 6 is cancelled.
I was not aware of the Route from Sosua to Punta Cana ..... Interesting.
Will let you know the results next week when the final flight plans are filed.

Been terribly ill with non-COVID challenges ; There is no COVID in my zone so the hospital is clean of viruses.
We just have the annual Lobster war going on in the area.
Live well.
SloMotion I will be isolating in Little Brook.

Reactions: slowmo

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
If that POP flt is still on the website - your chances are good to excellent!!

Typically, they cancel 30-45 days in adavnce
One can only hope.
Being ultra high risk with COVID19 this is the biggest chance I have taken in years...But no choice now!
UHR = Hypertension, Diabetes, and upper respiratory challenges (asthma).... so lets see what happens.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
My friend was booked for this month and had it cancelled by the airline. He changed it to westjet Nov 6 but I checked their website and dont see anything until December for yyz to pop....might be cancelled already

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
My friend was booked for this month and had it cancelled by the airline. He changed it to westjet Nov 6 but I checked their website and dont see anything until December for yyz to pop....might be cancelled already
Pretty sure WJ cancelled all flights to POP in November

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A few days ago westjet showed Nov flights into POP but i can confirm they are not there now. Same for PUJ first flights now appear to be in Dec.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My friend was booked on the Nov. 6 flight as well. I would have booked but for some reason have no desire to lend money to an airline.

Right now the best option looks like Air Canada to PUJ on Saturdays.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I will discuss with Agent tomorrow... maybe on 7th from Punta Cana.... doesn't matter to me.

I learned patience living in Sub-Arctic for 10 years... I can deal with it.... As long as I wake up ''not dead'' tomorrow I will be happy.

Slowmo I think WJ is also operating from Punta Cana on 7th.

Airlines do not provide 'reasons' only lame excuses...
Tomorrow will tell for me.
Have a good evening all!