Car Insurance

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hey

I need some recomendation on insurance for cars. I saw Gorgon today and have decided to buy a 2014 Versa. Both my 20 year old kid and I will be driving it.

1. Should I put it in my name or Kenson's (my kid) name or both?
2. What is the minimum liability insurance required by law?
3. What do people recommend for gringos as liability limits?
4. Does anyone have an agent they would recommend?
5. is there anything else I forgot to ask?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Jan 9, 2004
Hey

I need some recomendation on insurance for cars. I saw Gorgon today and have decided to buy a 2014 Versa. Both my 20 year old kid and I will be driving it.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Not related, but please be aware the 2014 Nissan Versa had an inordinate amount of transmission issues..

As to No. 1, I believe, subject to correction, the DR only allows one name.

You will probably some get some agent and coverage recommendations shortly.

Good luck with your purchase.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
I'll preface this by saying I know diddly squat about Dominican vehicle insurance but am also about to find out like Nans. However, as a previous agency owner and insurance consumer in the US I will purchase high limits of liability insurance and would recommend anyone with any assets or perceived assets to purchase higher limits. Normally the jump from one level of liability limits to the next doesn't mean that much of an increase in premium. Most of a policy's cost comes from the purchase of coverage for physical damage to the vehicle. A 2014 vehicle is probably teetering on the decision to drop comp and collision coverage. But back to liability coverage. In a liability claim and potential judgement for additional costs above the policy limits, if you walk in there with considerable assets and all you've purchased is the state minimum, you're gonna be seen as negligent. If on the other hand you have purchased far above legal minimums you can show that you have taken steps to make the other person whole again. Its just a CYA thing. So Nans ask your agent for the premium costs on different liability limits and think about going high.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed on upping the liability over the legal limit.

Can you even get comp and collision on a car that old?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I'll preface this by saying I know diddly squat about Dominican vehicle insurance but am also about to find out like Nans. However, as a previous agency owner and insurance consumer in the US I will purchase high limits of liability insurance and would recommend anyone with any assets or perceived assets to purchase higher limits. Normally the jump from one level of liability limits to the next doesn't mean that much of an increase in premium. Most of a policy's cost comes from the purchase of coverage for physical damage to the vehicle. A 2014 vehicle is probably teetering on the decision to drop comp and collision coverage. But back to liability coverage. In a liability claim and potential judgement for additional costs above the policy limits, if you walk in there with considerable assets and all you've purchased is the state minimum, you're gonna be seen as negligent. If on the other hand you have purchased far above legal minimums you can show that you have taken steps to make the other person whole again. Its just a CYA thing. So Nans ask your agent for the premium costs on different liability limits and think about going high.
this is a very good summary of main considerations. For our insurance customers we reccomend a minimum of 1 million for lawyers and 5 million for liability. For older cars the collision premiums are not always worth it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All you need is the Ley insurance. This covers any injuries to other parties in an accident. And they send a lawyer to court if necessary. Universal is good. Anything else is a ripoff. I know you will hear different, but I am speaking from personal experience. I bought 2 new cars on what I saved by not taking Full insurance.....................Cost for your car about $100 US..........

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Hey

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Rob,

Good luck and keep everyone posted on the progress of purchase and insurance.

This will be very helpful for others in the future.

Glad you are working with Gorgon.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Hey

Thanks in advance!

Rob

insurance for a car or a quad can only be in 1 name
get an insurance agent that resides in your town

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hey

Thanks in advance!

Rob
I sent you a DM re: #1

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be sure to add Casa de Conductor coverage.

We just have the “ley “ coverage and Conductor. It runs about 8800 pesos a year (ours is through BHD)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

We just have the “ley “ coverage and Conductor. It runs about 8800 pesos a year (ours is through BHD)

And the "Grua" coverage option.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

This would be his best bet as long as their is a place he can go to. I doubt he can last a day in a Dominican jail anyway...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That is towing. Don't really need it, but you should at the least have a number to call.........
I have it on my Trucks insurance. I've probably used it a couple of dozen times. Worth it's weight in gold for me and one tow was much more than the insurance costs.

Having said that, not really needed for most folks but great if you have an accident.