Car Insurance

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have it on my Trucks insurance. I've probably used it a couple of dozen times. Worth it's weight in gold for me and one tow was much more than the insurance costs.

Having said that, not really needed for most folks but great if you have an accident.
If we get together remind me to do the driving...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If we get together remind me to do the driving...........
Ha ha.. When I said trucks I meant 24 ft. Freight trucks that break down all the time.

Reactions: SKY
Aug 31, 2011
Be sure to add Casa de Conductor coverage.

We just have the “ley “ coverage and Conductor. It runs about 8800 pesos a year (ours is through BHD)
We have insurance through universal. I'm going to check over the details this morning. Since this thread will be helpful to refer to and others.. Can you expand on what is conductor coverage?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have insurance through universal. I'm going to check over the details this morning. Since this thread will be helpful to refer to and others.. Can you expand on what is conductor coverage?

Someone else can probably explain it more concisely, but basically it’s coverage that keeps you out of jail in case of an accident. It’s only valid in certain places, Santo Domingo is one of them.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Casa de Conductor on Bolivar is for Universal, the other one on Ave. Kennedy is for the other insurance companies.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Hey

I need some recomendation on insurance for cars. I saw Gorgon today and have decided to buy a 2014 Versa. Both my 20 year old kid and I will be driving it.

1. Should I put it in my name or Kenson's (my kid) name or both?
2. What is the minimum liability insurance required by law?
3. What do people recommend for gringos as liability limits?
4. Does anyone have an agent they would recommend?
5. is there anything else I forgot to ask?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Nan It my be too late,
1. This is a diffcult question. Its about Residency? Driving Permit and of course most important Liability.....
2. minimun liability is a joke around 50000pesos, go for much higher liability.
3. At least 5 million pesos
4. It better with an agent than having to deal directly with insurance company. In case of claim the agent would take care of things with the insurance company. If not too late I can recommend an agent in Sano Domingo.(PM me if needed)....I do not think you will find one in San Pedro or Boca Chica, I did not.
5. Yes Grua (towing) and of course Casa de condutor. (both cheap if not already included). Personally a I would not insurance a 2014 vehicle for damages, bodily and paint work here is cheap.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I would definitely want Exceso Civil added, I always go up to the maximum RD$ 15 Million. Little story about this. I met a lady who was from Europe, working in Punta Cana. She was driving on the highway one night back from work, a young guy comes straight across in front of her on a motorbike. She has no chance to stop, kills him. He was drunk, the bike was old and in a really bad state, no lights. But his family were well known and popular in Veron, not rich but well known and popular.

She was arrested at the scene (this is normal) but released a few hours later pending the investigation. She was advised she would not be allowed to leave the country until everything was settled (again normal). The case went to court, the insurance company paid out their RD$ 1M (even though everyone kind of knew it wasn't her fault, we all know how Dominican courts work). The family, the girlfriend, the aunty, all start holding their hands out, everyone is on the young boy's side, the case goes on and on. Eventually it took years to settle, and the lady ended up paying a huge amount (I think somewhere like US$ 30,000) to make it go away. During this time her mother got cancer and she was not allowed to leave the country.

This happened years ago but I seem to remember us discussing it on here, maybe it will ring a bell with some of the older members of the forum. And that's why I would recommend always maxing out your third party liability. If the insurance company is on the hook for RD$ 1M, they may well just pay and go. If it's RD$ 15M, that's a lot of cheese and they will try a bit harder to make things go away. And personally I prefer to have someone else drive and use Uber in the city rather than having a car. It's just a lot easier if things go wrong.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are in the unfortunate situation of killing a Moto driver here it does not matter HOW MUCH liability insurance you have. Matters more WHO you know and figure on at least 25K. They come after you big time no matter what............

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you are in the unfortunate situation of killing a Moto driver here it does not matter HOW MUCH liability insurance you have. Matters more WHO you know and figure on at least 25K. They come after you big time no matter what............
Yep. Nothing to do with gringos. The haves will always be pursued by the have nots, no matter their nationality.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yep. Nothing to do with gringos. The haves will always be pursued by the have nots, no matter their nationality.
Yep, one of our clients, Dominican, ran over a drunk passed out on the road. The police believe he had already been hit by somebody else, as he already had tiretracks on his clothing. Our client ended up paying out 1.5 million pesos to the family of the drunk, even with them saying that the guy often passed out on the road.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yep. If you see someone laying in the road like they've been the victim of a hit-and-run, best not to stop. You'll end up being accused.

Reactions: Kipling333

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yep. If you see someone laying in the road like they've been the victim of a hit-and-run, best not to stop. You'll end up being accused.
It is absolutely tragic that if you pick up an injured person and take the person to hospital, that you are likely to spend a day or night in prison and possibly be charged . It just another example of the dreadful legal system in this country.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It is absolutely tragic that if you pick up an injured person and take the person to hospital, that you are likely to spend a day or night in prison and possibly be charged . It just another example of the dreadful legal system in this country.
I do not believe that is still true. I don't remember details but it was changed a few years ago.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I do not believe that is still true. I don't remember details but it was changed a few years ago.
It was not true in my case! The driver of the minivan that caused my injuries when I was hurt in Puerto Plata did in fact take me to Centro Medico Bournigal and sent a taxi driver to take me home when I was released from the hospital. I had major injuries and he never was jailed.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think you misunderstood my comment, Profe.

I'm saying if you're driving on a road and come across an injured person, you can take them to a hospital without fear of being detained.

If you are the driver who struck someone and took them to a hospital, that may turn out differently

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Hey

I need some recomendation on insurance for cars. I saw Gorgon today and have decided to buy a 2014 Versa. Both my 20 year old kid and I will be driving it.

1. Should I put it in my name or Kenson's (my kid) name or both?
2. What is the minimum liability insurance required by law?
3. What do people recommend for gringos as liability limits?
4. Does anyone have an agent they would recommend?
5. is there anything else I forgot to ask?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
if you message me I can send a few quotes for auto insurance