Car Insurance

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thats the question Belgiank is asking.
I've owned two Explorers, and almost bought one here before determining the parts availability and expense issue.

Is that good enough?

I thought I was on ignore...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've always maintained that anything Japanese was the most sensible choice when choosing a car here.

Most parts are available and many mechanics can turn a hand to them.

However Japanese vehicles do command a premium for that reason.

I have now started to notice that the CAFTA agreement pertaining to US made vehicles is starting to show it's effect here and American cars are becoming a lot more popular. Their drop in prices has made them a real alternative and making people think twice over the vastly inflated Japanese and European marques.

The Ford Explorer is a great, no frills 4X4. Not too complicated for things to go wrong. No fancy suspension, which compromises handling and comfort over ruggedness, and a bullet proof engine and drivetrain. However, be warned, that engine has a big thirst for fuel.

Here's an example shown on Supercarros:

Brand new Ford Explorer XLT 2010 $37,950
Brand new Toyota Landcruiser 2010 $122,000

Is the Landcruiser really worth three Explorers?

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My V-6 4WD Explorers got around 15mpg city, 17hwy.

The tranny and a/c are weak points.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My V-6 4WD Explorers got around 15mpg city, 17hwy.

The tranny and a/c are weak points.

I was actually thinking about the transmission. In the time I've spent in the States, I noticed that roadside transmission shops seemed to be a dime a dozen.

Does that means that your typical American transmission is prone to premature failure? Or maybe just down to the fact that hardly no US made car comes with a stick shift box.

There is very little maintenance you can do on an auto box, apart from an oil change. In most cases, the cause of failure is usually the bands, but you have to disassemble the whole box and remove the torque converter to replace them. Something I would be loathed to let a Dominican mechanic do.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I've always maintained that anything Japanese was the most sensible choice when choosing a car here.

Most parts are available and many mechanics can turn a hand to them.

However Japanese vehicles do command a premium for that reason.

I have now started to notice that the CAFTA agreement pertaining to US made vehicles is starting to show it's effect here and American cars are becoming a lot more popular. Their drop in prices has made them a real alternative and making people think twice over the vastly inflated Japanese and European marques.

The Ford Explorer is a great, no frills 4X4. Not too complicated for things to go wrong. No fancy suspension, which compromises handling and comfort over ruggedness, and a bullet proof engine and drivetrain. However, be warned, that engine has a big thirst for fuel.

Here's an example shown on Supercarros:

Brand new Ford Explorer XLT 2010 $37,950
Brand new Toyota Landcruiser 2010 $122,000

Is the Landcruiser really worth three Explorers?
at least one of those prices is in dollars, whats the other in

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I was actually thinking about the transmission. In the time I've spent in the States, I noticed that roadside transmission shops seemed to be a dime a dozen.

Does that means that your typical American transmission is prone to premature failure? Or maybe just down to the fact that hardly no US made car comes with a stick shift box.

There is very little maintenance you can do on an auto box, apart from an oil change. In most cases, the cause of failure is usually the bands, but you have to disassemble the whole box and remove the torque converter to replace them. Something I would be loathed to let a Dominican mechanic do.
There are a lot of vehicles in the states and the tranny is a specialized part, the single most complex part of any vehicle. Often even a dealer will sub out the transmission rebuild to one of those shops.

Some transmissions are more problematic than others.

There is TONS of info on any car anyone is considering buying, a bazillion times more than on DR1. One hour with Mr. Google will make anyone a near expert in that vehicle model.

In relation to the DR, the big questions are:
  • parts availability
  • parts pricing
  • used parts availability
  • overall economy
  • ability to find a mechanic experienced in the model

I guess you could add the chopo attraction quotient also.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
at least one of those prices is in dollars, whats the other in

I know, crazy isn't it?

I have heard from a friend of mine that has just packed up and left the DR for Thailand. He has just bought a brand new Toyota HiLux for less than US$20,000! Although European cars are silly money over there too.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
for my hard earned dollars, I decided to buy the Explorer at the price mentioned above, I find it equall to the land cruiser I have in the UAE, every bit as comfortable, and it comes with (the explorer) 3 yrs manf warranty. I am assured by the dealer that they are stocking the parts from Ford for service and replacement as required. For mmy needs I believe I got a reasonable deal. Time will tell.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
for my hard earned dollars, I decided to buy the Explorer at the price mentioned above, I find it equall to the land cruiser I have in the UAE, every bit as comfortable, and it comes with (the explorer) 3 yrs manf warranty. I am assured by the dealer that they are stocking the parts from Ford for service and replacement as required. For mmy needs I believe I got a reasonable deal. Time will tell.

Can you tell me the name of the dealer and location please? Thanks

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm pretty sure Viamar is the Ford importer. I know Santo Domingo for sure, the Autopista downtown I recall, and there may be a smaller shop in Santiago.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, In response to belgiank, the dealer was Carrera Motors in SD, the salesman, Albierto was exeptionally helpful given the fact that I was purchasing from overseas, wanted to pay for 1/3rd of the cost via my credit card ( for me to be able to assert pressure via the card issuer should the deal have had problems, but absolutely unecessary as it turned out), he had the car ready for drive off, temp plate, insurance in place all as requested. I would have no hesitation in recommendating these guys based on my experience with them.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Hi, In response to belgiank, the dealer was Carrera Motors in SD, the salesman, Albierto was exeptionally helpful given the fact that I was purchasing from overseas, wanted to pay for 1/3rd of the cost via my credit card ( for me to be able to assert pressure via the card issuer should the deal have had problems, but absolutely unecessary as it turned out), he had the car ready for drive off, temp plate, insurance in place all as requested. I would have no hesitation in recommendating these guys based on my experience with them.

thanks for the helpful info. If you don't mind, one more question as I read so many horror stories here with different info... How much were the plates, and how much for the insurance.

I will surely look these guys up, and maybe you could pm me your name to use as a recommendation (good for both of us, I think)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Turns out family members are Monumental.

So today I asked a top exec, about as top as you can get, why there seems to be gringos who say they have a bad reputation.

Their response was interesting: by their agreement with agents, it is the agent that must submit and follow up claims. If the agent doesn't do it they have failed in doing their job. He stated the relationship and how to file claims are in the policy, and that a disproportionate number of foreign policy holders don't go properly through their agent, don't understand their policies, don't understand the instructions given, have less insurance than they need, overpaid for their vehicle, think insurance "back home" works like insurance in the DR and often file a claim for an accident while driving in the country illegally.

Additionally, he said that often agents are big on selling but not on servicing (wow, a real shocker!:cheeky:).

I got the distinct impression servicing foreigners is a frustrating, ongoing issue.