Caribe Tours bus down near Jarabacoa

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The bus was coming down the hill and most of the passengers were from Santo Domingo. Not a new or unusual occurance at that corner. Before the vehicles used to go over the precipice!... This one probably rolled on its side...

No deaths reported.

HB

I see I was late to the posting party.. I have to say I am surprised to see it over the hillside, since they put up a large berm to prevent that, but maybe they need to extend it further down the hill.

May 12, 2005
Wow, that is a serious accident. Very fortunate nobody died, so far. For sure this requires specialized equipment to extract all the victims. Plenty of broken bones I am sure.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
asiiii.jpg

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Driver is dead... He was the last person to be rescued from the wreck, as he was pinned in the front...
They pulled him alive but it took hours to cut all the metal and other stuff around him. No major vehicles could have been used to pull the parts apart, as the bus rested too deep in the ravine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Over half a dozen US tourists on board. Still awaiting more news. Will be front page tomorrow morning, I suppose.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Here a video- not the best quality.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s0fUwtOHinQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
This is why i don't do Caribe Tours, they're so reckless most of the time..it reminded me when i was, ironically, coming from Jarabacoa and in our way to Santiago when one of their buses slammed a "pasolero" right next to our car and the poor man flew dead into the concrete, pretty traumatic for my sisters and mom....thank God nothing major happened to these people.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is why i don't do Caribe Tours, they're so reckless most of the time..it reminded me when i was, ironically, coming from Jarabacoa and in our way to Santiago when one of their buses slammed a "pasolero" right next to our car and the poor man flew dead into the concrete, pretty traumatic for my sisters and mom....thank God nothing major happened to these people.

I have taken Caribe tours many times from Jarabacoa and never felt unsafe. This driver was not from Jarabacoa and perhaps new of the route.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
I have taken Caribe tours many times from Jarabacoa and never felt unsafe. This driver was not from Jarabacoa and perhaps new of the route.

Im not talking about this particular route cause let's face it, it's a daily one so accidents like this are pretty much inevitable at some point. Im referring to their general driving around the whole country, pretty reckless, Metro is faaaaaar superior.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Im not talking about this particular route cause let's face it, it's a daily one so accidents like this are pretty much inevitable at some point. Im referring to their general driving around the whole country, pretty reckless, Metro is faaaaaar superior.

Interesting statements, so what do you think Caribe tours could do in order to be sure they employ drivers of equal competence to Metro? Anything specific, because as far as I know they have identical driving license requirements to drive for either. Unless someone will correct me on this, please do I would be interested.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Interesting statements, so what do you think Caribe tours could do in order to be sure they employ drivers of equal competence to Metro? Anything specific, because as far as I know they have identical driving license requirements to drive for either. Unless someone will correct me on this, please do I would be interested.

Identical driving license requirements?? indeed they have, but let's face it, that doesn't ensure by any means that they will use their driving skills properly....i just think these drivers feel entitle to rule the roads here... they're just in need of some speed control education.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I will not comment on the driver's ability. What I do know is, that the road from Jarabacoa to La Vega is a treacherous one. Especially on the weekend.

Although the road is paved almost perfectly, the numerous twists and turns, invite a lot of motorists to overtake where common sense would tell you differently.

My personal experiences on this road, having lived for a year in Jarabacoa? Avoid it at the weekend!!! Lots of rich, spoiled brats of SD or STI, racing their CBR's, R1's, Hayabusha's or whatever, up and down that road, with no respect at all of other people on the road.

I have managed to escape a couple of close encounters with those assholes myself, but I was not driving a bus.

I am not saying this is what happened. Just saying what this road is like during weekends.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This type of bus:

Close to this area called "La Curva de la Virgen":

4987397540_cbccfe8246_b.jpg
That is NOT where it happened. It happened almost 1km down the road at the last, and worst corner before the road goes flat.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have to say I am surprised to see it over the hillside, since they put up a large berm to prevent that, but maybe they need to extend it further down the hill.
It wasn't at the monument. It was farther downhill. There used to be a guardrail, but no berm.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you. The newspaper this morning mentioned the Curva de la U as the scene and this explains why it went off the road.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
belgiank writes: I will not comment on the driver's ability. What I do know is, that the road from Jarabacoa to La Vega is a treacherous one. Especially on the weekend.

Although the road is paved almost perfectly, the numerous twists and turns, invite a lot of motorists to overtake where common sense would tell you differently.

My personal experiences on this road, having lived for a year in Jarabacoa? Avoid it at the weekend!!! Lots of rich, spoiled brats of SD or STI, racing their CBR's, R1's, Hayabusha's or whatever, up and down that road, with no respect at all of other people on the road.

I have managed to escape a couple of close encounters with those assholes myself, but I was not driving a bus.

I am not saying this is what happened. Just saying what this road is like during weekends.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totally agree , the road is not perfect but it is pretty good. If people didn't cut corners or pass on blind corner/hills it would be a very safe road.