Carnival Cruise Lines - Port in Maimon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
people working in the port?
taxis serving the port?
people who run shops/bars inside the port?
organizers of excursions?
tourist excursion guides/drivers/service?

Of course, those are intuitively obvious. How many people are we talking about in total?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
went to santiago yesterday and saw that the work on the road from maimon restarted again. the rumour has it that carnival threatened with withdrawal from puerto plata if the road is not finished.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Of course, those are intuitively obvious. How many people are we talking about in total?

From what I have seen, I would put this number at no more than 100 people in total. Also, there is no way to really tell how many of these people are employees of Carnival here under work permit. Maybe as many as 25%. I can say that the upper level jobs in the engineering department there is completely imported with locals being the labor force.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I have seen, I would put this number at no more than 100 people in total. Also, there is no way to really tell how many of these people are employees of Carnival here under work permit. Maybe as many as 25%. I can say that the upper level jobs in the engineering department there is completely imported with locals being the labor force.

In other words, if Carnival pulls out, the impact would be rather minimal given how cruise lines manage all of the profit centers involved. It would certainly generate less dialog than the current situation in Sosua.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
went to santiago yesterday and saw that the work on the road from maimon restarted again. the rumour has it that carnival threatened with withdrawal from puerto plata if the road is not finished.

Not to worry, there will be other reasons for Carnival to withdraw.

Typical situation here with that road. Start it and go like crazy, miss a deadline and then stop until some overwhelming force causes a restart. Those overwhelming forces are few and far between. Obviously government people are going to lose money if Carnival pulls out, so the work was started again.
Will they ever actually finish it?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
In other words, if Carnival pulls out, the impact would be rather minimal given how cruise lines manage all of the profit centers involved. It would certainly generate less dialog than the current situation in Sosua.

No way Carnival to just going to pull out. Way too much invested and further investments coming. The road situation is nothing compared to what Carnival went through on Grand Turk. Not paying their port fees or passenger taxes due to contract disputes with the government would come first.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Not to worry, there will be other reasons for Carnival to withdraw.

Typical situation here with that road. Start it and go like crazy, miss a deadline and then stop until some overwhelming force causes a restart. Those overwhelming forces are few and far between. Obviously government people are going to lose money if Carnival pulls out, so the work was started again.
Will they ever actually finish it?

It's the Dominican definition of the word "finish" (in any language) that is flexible..

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Carnival will not pull out because of a bad road. As far as I know they bought two of the three Riu Hotels.*
Many cruise passengers are going on excursions and this fact will provide more jobs for drivers and tour guides and there will be jobs on the different excursion sites. During winter there will arrive pretty many ships. If many people will go on their own to Puerto Plata or other places *- well I cannot know.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i fixed the link and merged into existing thread about amber cove, no need to start a new thread each time a poster sees an article on the subject.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cruise ship benefits to North Coast

According to Julio Almonte Nina, Deputy Minister for Tourism for the North Coast, the thousands of tourists who have arrived on the last 93 cruise ships at the Amber Cove terminal in Maimon in the province of Puerto Plata, have generated income of around US$10 million that has injected great dynamism in the productive and economic sectors of the province. In pesos that equates to around RD$493,172,145.

Almonte Nina says that the 278,973 cruise ship passengers who arrived, rented 13,000 vehicles, of which 8,755 took taxis, 2,905 buses, 1,076 safari tours and 266 rented a car.

Source: DR1, Diariolibre

Aug 31, 2017

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Deputy Minister for Tourism for the North Coast and (Propaganda)

According to Julio Almonte Nina, Deputy Minister for Tourism for the North Coast, the thousands of tourists who have arrived on the last 93 cruise ships at the Amber Cove terminal in Maimon in the province of Puerto Plata, have generated income of around US$10 million that has injected great dynamism in the productive and economic sectors of the province. In pesos that equates to around RD$493,172,145.

Almonte Nina says that the 278,973 cruise ship passengers who arrived, rented 13,000 vehicles, of which 8,755 took taxis, 2,905 buses, 1,076 safari tours and 266 rented a car.

Aug 31, 2017

Outstanding,
The quality of life for citizens and business operators in Maimon and on the North Coast has been markedly improved.

May 5, 2007

Aug 31, 2017

Damm, a 3 year old thread and this is about only recent news produced

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I have to say I changed my mind about the cruise-ships.
I have a bar on the Malecon and thought that nothing would change because the taxi-mob would bring the clients to business that they want (and they do) and that I wouldn't have any benefit from them, but I was wrong.
If the tourists ask the cab drivers in amber cove to go to the beach of pop, they will bring them to Cosita Rica because they are the only people who pay a lot at the cab drivers, nobody else sees a tourist on the Malecon, BUT.... I have a couple of clients who live here and make money on the tourists from carnival (with excursions or in shops) and those people have a lot more money now to spend, so indeed: not everybody wins on the tourists, but others (like myself) are earning more because some people have more money to spend thanks to those tourists.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have to say I changed my mind about the cruise-ships.
I have a bar on the Malecon and thought that nothing would change because the taxi-mob would bring the clients to business that they want (and they do) and that I wouldn't have any benefit from them, but I was wrong.
If the tourists ask the cab drivers in amber cove to go to the beach of pop, they will bring them to Cosita Rica because they are the only people who pay a lot at the cab drivers, nobody else sees a tourist on the Malecon, BUT.... I have a couple of clients who live here and make money on the tourists from carnival (with excursions or in shops) and those people have a lot more money now to spend, so indeed: not everybody wins on the tourists, but others (like myself) are earning more because some people have more money to spend thanks to those tourists.

i find it really interesting, as you say, that all the taxi traffic ends up at one place...Cosita Rica. i wonder how they arranged that one..