Catholic priest in Santiago province accused of molesting children

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do believe you live for this stuff, makes you sport wood, all pumped and throbbed up for another God is Evil rant, blue veins shaftly engorged...

You assume this "god" is active, as if his passivity is evidence of non-existence.

What if "he's" completely passive? What if the "religious" concept of this "god" is wrong?

Of what good is a passive god? Of course that would mean the bible is complete nonsense.
(But I already knew that.)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Of what good is a passive god?
Far be it for me to speculate on something that is waaaaaaay above my ability to understand.

windeguy said:
Of course that would mean the bible is complete nonsense.
(But I already knew that.)
The Bible may very well be complete ninsense, just as much of what man creates is...

Zero argument there.

As a creation of man, regardless of it's inspiration, the Bible ranks right up there with the Koran, Dianetics and Heather Has Two Mommies in the "inspirational self help" library section...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think this would be good. For him to be turned over to the civil authorities. If he is convicted, he will be put in the model prison system and will be protected and isolated-- which is certainly better treatment than he would get in any US prison. But it would help the reputation of the Catholic Church and it would help the reputation that there is no rule of law here and that they are under the thumb of the Church..

of course, there IS no rule of law here and they ARE under the thumb of the Church

but at least a request for extradition would help.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I think this would be good. For him to be turned over to the civil authorities. If he is convicted, he will be put in the model prison system and will be protected and isolated-- which is certainly better treatment than he would get in any US prison. But it would help the reputation of the Catholic Church and it would help the reputation that there is no rule of law here and that they are under the thumb of the Church..

of course, there IS no rule of law here and they ARE under the thumb of the Church

but at least a request for extradition would help.

I thought he would be isolated in a US prison like he would be in a Canadian prison or else he would be hanged like an apple, by the colita.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is no extradition signed between poland and DR. which of course does not mean one cannot ask for extradition or obliged to it. i know poland has searched for their citizens who committed crimes in poland and run away abroad. and managed to bring some of them to justice.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
don't think that he would do very well in a US prison .. although it is BIG industry.. We have made it into a private for profit industry now so stocks are traded and now it is a profitable industry and hey! no scandal in that, right? But somehow, right, don't think that a pedophile priest would get much protection there.. but maybe special treatment, as you suggest. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/national/12priest.html?ref=johnjgeoghan

let's see how willing the Church is to release him.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
there is no extradition signed between poland and DR. which of course does not mean one cannot ask for extradition or obliged to it. i know poland has searched for their citizens who committed crimes in poland and run away abroad. and managed to bring some of them to justice.

Is Poland still very Roman Catholic?

He may not even be defrocked! I mean, all the evidence could have been planted right? The cops here are known to be corrupt. And even you could not believe it.

Is there a special Roman Catholic hearing court for the defrocking process?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why all this conjecture?????? There is a thing called "google translate", good grief.

The diocese of Santiago has suspended the priest and ordered him to turn himself into the authorities in accordance with the Vatican directives regarding these unfortunate matters so he can run and hide but not in the Catholic Church.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they can order him all they want, only a court can agree to extradition.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
interesting that they gave the email address and phone for the embassy in Germany.

So do I understand correctly that a Catholic priest has never been convicted here? That the other case was never prosecuted? That the two priests were not released from their duties.. as per the Concordat they have to be before prosecution?

If, as the article states, this is a lay state, why is the Concordat still in place? What, exactly does it do? Why is religion- Christianity- taught in the public schools? Are Catholics still in charge of the curriculum?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
MA: the embassy in berlin is responsible for a larger area, including poland. this is why the details are there.
catholics are in charge of curriculum in a sense that majority of dominicans are catholics...

this case... to me it looks like no one wanted the gut tried and convicted. no efforts have been made to capture him. the police could have waited until he arrived to the country and arrest him at the airport.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

More chisme than anything else and filled with errors.

First, I'd like to see the evidence that the Catholic Church sent the priest to Poland on vacation as the author claims.

Second, the author claims that the Santiago Diocese is protecting the priest by removing him from his duties, which is not the case. The is the standard procedure when a priest is accused now. Even though they have been removed from their administrative duties does not mean they have been ejected from the Church.

Here is the link from the Vatican for those interested:

Guide to Understanding Basic CDF Procedures concerning Sexual Abuse Allegations

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
priesting is not a job. you go on vacation when your supervisors tell you to. he was scheduled to go now.