CEPM & Solar Panels: Abuse?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi Windy,
I know you are invested in the DR and love it.
I don't think I ever said I loved the DR. Had things gone differently, I would still be in California despite the people. The weather is much better there. I am committed to living in the DR and deal with the issues the best I can.
Yet I have noticed frequent sarcasm in your posts, possibly indicating that you have given up hope seeing the realities.
We have more power and much less water now than when I moved to the DR. Seeing a company charge for just having Solar Panels installed like CEPM is doing, if true, is beyond ludicrous.
Yet your love may still be intact, good on you.
As I mentioned, I live here. It is what it is. I still don't have solar panels, If I lived where CEPM is, I doubt I would even think about getting them

Reactions: AlaPlaya and XQT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Charging customers for using their own solar panels is outrageous. What is the next coming from the electricity suppliers, charging customers for using their own plantas? Imagine an electric supplier charging a customer for having a hybrid car!

Regards,

PJT

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Mike,
Thank you for your informative and intelligent post #11-13-14

These posts illustrate the difficulty living in the DR.
A lot of money and innovation is needed to have a close to normal life here.

What makes life hard is the absence of most basic infrastructure, electricity and water.
Many of us have pumps to supply water, the pumps need electricity.
Mike had to dig a 400 ft well for water independency.

In advanced countries governments encourage carbon neutrality and renewable energy sources.
Rebates are given for installation of such systems including solar panels.
Solar panels are a good solution in the DR, and should be encouraged by government.
To allow CEPM to putatively charge solar panel use should be outlawed.

Government incompetence and the lack of basic infrastructure has tempered my love for the DR.
We have one life and I do not foresee meaningful change for my life in the DR.
The DR needs to move foreward in a meaningful way to make life livable for its citizens and to attract foreign investment.
Foreigners who moved to the DR to live and start businesses moved significant money into the DR tax revenues and economy.

I fear that the generation of foreign investors is aging and I do not see much new blood coming in.
With maybe the exception of foreign AI hotel development in PUJ.
Private investors and cooperations want to see hope for growth and improvement.
There is a lot of new blood coming, at least in some areas. There is little existing inventory in Las Terrenas. Properties sold quickly after Covid. They are building a lot now. Both condos and multi million dollar mansions. I am sure those high end homes looked around and saw the realities here of electric and water issues. Most likely, they have solar and cisterns. Looks like a lot of the inventory sold out in Punta Cana also because the real estate site seems to have more new construction than old on their websites. I may be wrong. I am far from a Punta Cana expert.
When I built in Samaná, I did not want to be at the mercy of the government. It is what it is. I have a 16000 gallon cistern that collects rain water from the roof. For electric I am totally off grid with 30 550 watt panels and battery back up. I also have wind turbines to top off the batteries at night and for cloudy days. Yes it does cost more money but it is better to budget 10-20 % more for your house and be self sufficient than wait for the world to change around you.. I also got Starlink and my speeds are super fast at a low price.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
There is a lot of new blood coming, at least in some areas. There is little existing inventory in Las Terrenas. Properties sold quickly after Covid. They are building a lot now. Both condos and multi million dollar mansions. I am sure those high end homes looked around and saw the realities here of electric and water issues. Most likely, they have solar and cisterns. Looks like a lot of the inventory sold out in Punta Cana also because the real estate site seems to have more new construction than old on their websites. I may be wrong. I am far from a Punta Cana expert.
When I built in Samaná, I did not want to be at the mercy of the government. It is what it is. I have a 16000 gallon cistern that collects rain water from the roof. For electric I am totally off grid with 30 550 watt panels and battery back up. I also have wind turbines to top off the batteries at night and for cloudy days. Yes it does cost more money but it is better to budget 10-20 % more for your house and be self sufficient than wait for the world to change around you.. I also got Starlink and my speeds are super fast at a low price.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
May I ask which starlink package you have, the residential or the business one?
What down/upload speeds do you usually get?
as i am myself looking on starlink for the finca.
Thanks

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I don't think I ever said I loved the DR. Had things gone differently, I would still be in California despite the people. The weather is much better there. I am committed to living in the DR and deal with the issues the best I can.

We have more power and much less water now than when I moved to the DR. Seeing a company charge for just having Solar Panels installed like CEPM is doing, if true, is beyond ludicrous.

As I mentioned, I live here. It is what it is. I still don't have solar panels, If I lived where CEPM is, I doubt I would even think about getting them

For me water is also the problem.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

I like your idea of collecting rain water for the cistern.

We all have different needs and expectations.
You are well set up, organized and willing to pay the price.
Of course there are those with play money, where expenditures do not matter.
Some expect more than sun and ocean for their money.

I'm keeping my house simple with Eden Norte electricity, inverter, cistern and water when the gods from CORAAPPLATA send it.
For my standards I get more value for my money in the US, EU, CAN.
I can only take the DR part time.
Different strokes.

At least gob.do should encourage private renewable energy generation, rather than ALLOW CEPM to charge extra.
May the wind blow into your direction and the sun shine.

There is hope,

Reactions: reilleyp

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
In advanced countries governments encourage carbon neutrality and renewable energy sources.
Advanced countries push nuclear power plants.

For the D.R. renting some of those new generation small and mobile NPP would be the best option to resolve the energy problems.
Of course all employees need to be provided by the manufacturer.

Alexander

Reactions: windeguy

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
May I ask which starlink package you have, the residential or the business one?
What down/upload speeds do you usually get?
as i am myself looking on starlink for the finca.
Thanks
I only have the residential. I get at least 80/10, many times it is 150 or 200 down and 20 up. If you just have a home, the residential should be sufficient. I heard the commercial package provides a huge amount of speed, probably faster than most websites can provide the data to you. In Samaná, the dish points low in the sky to the Northeast, so make sure you have a clear view of the sky with no buildings or trees blocking the view or it will reduce your speeds, but maybe in Punta Cana you will connect to a different satellite path.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I like your idea of collecting rain water for the cistern.

We all have different needs and expectations.
You are well set up, organized and willing to pay the price.
Of course there are those with play money, where expenditures do not matter.
Some expect more than sun and ocean for their money.

I'm keeping my house simple with Eden Norte electricity, inverter, cistern and water when the gods from CORAAPPLATA send it.
For my standards I get more value for my money in the US, EU, CAN.
I can only take the DR part time.
Different strokes.

At least gob.do should encourage private renewable energy generation, rather than ALLOW CEPM to charge extra.
May the wind blow into your direction and the sun shine.

There is hope,

I agree with what you said. The point of my post was to caution those who see the average income in the DR, and expect to have the same comforts of US, EU and Canada on a small amount of income. You will not. You need to allocate another 10-20% when building so you are not waiting for the DR government to provide those comforts.

Reactions: JD Jones

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I only have the residential. I get at least 80/10, many times it is 150 or 200 down and 20 up. If you just have a home, the residential should be sufficient. I heard the commercial package provides a huge amount of speed, probably faster than most websites can provide the data to you. In Samaná, the dish points low in the sky to the Northeast, so make sure you have a clear view of the sky with no buildings or trees blocking the view or it will reduce your speeds, but maybe in Punta Cana you will connect to a different satellite path.
Thanks, that's absolutely sufficient for my needs.
I live on my Finca, no view blocked by anything into any direction, I am surrounded by the flat green grass for my cows, lol.
Tomorrow i will look into that residential one and order.
Tired of Claro the same way as CEPM, an other thing to be independend from the local shit providers.
At our PC Condo I have he fiberoptic 200down/50up, but sadly too often claro delivers only a fraction of that as the real usable speed.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I agree with what you said. The point of my post was to caution those who see the average income in the DR, and expect to have the same comforts of US, EU and Canada on a small amount of income. You will not. You need to allocate another 10-20% when building so you are not waiting for the DR government to provide those comforts.
absolutely right, and it goes for everything in case of "standards".
When i want to eat meets etc etc of the standards/quality as i do in Europe, then the grocery bills are for me here in PC even a bit higher than my grocery bills for quality food in Germany.
Sure it is possible to live for way less on a way lower quality standard, but i guess that is not what most foreigners have in mind when moving to a foreign country, so it would be misleading to tell a new/future expat that it would be cheap to live in DR.
What is way cheaper here in DR than in Germany, is building housing, as you do not have to go by the countless european standards, no need to build for super cold winters etc.
Also mounting solar systems is in DR a good piece cheaper than in Germany, I always compare my spending on that here in DR to my sister's spending on their solar stuff there.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
absolutely right, and it goes for everything in case of "standards".
When i want to eat meets etc etc of the standards/quality as i do in Europe, then the grocery bills are for me here in PC even a bit higher than my grocery bills for quality food in Germany.
Sure it is possible to live for way less on a way lower quality standard, but i guess that is not what most foreigners have in mind when moving to a foreign country, so it would be misleading to tell a new/future expat that it would be cheap to live in DR.
What is way cheaper here in DR than in Germany, is building housing, as you do not have to go by the countless european standards, no need to build for super cold winters etc.
Also mounting solar systems is in DR a good piece cheaper than in Germany, I always compare my spending on that here in DR to my sister's spending on their solar stuff there.
Yes, no solar tariffs in the DR and no 18% tax on solar components and labor is less so I think solar is more affordable in the DR, plus lots of Sun.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Speaking of CEPM, I understood them to be a private business not a govt monopoly like the EDEs. Is that correct? Not sure it would make much difference on this topic though.
Yes, they are a private company monopoly servicing Punta Cana:

Reactions: NanSanPedro

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Unless you happen to be a CEPM customer, it would seem.
What I was referring to are tariffs that different countries impose on panels coming from China. Right now in the DR there is no 18% tax and as far as I know, there are no tarifs. If there is a tariff, it is much less than other countries that I’m not allowed to talk about here. The comment you made about CEPM, I have no way to research that fee, but I assume it is a fee. They charge you for back feeding into their grid. As I mentioned before, if anyone in any country wants to avoid that you need to cut the cord, buy some batteries, and go off grid. I don’t like fees, just like everyone else, but if everyone goes solar, where will the money come from to maintain the grid?

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How do determine what size cistern I have...or about to have real soon?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
How do determine what size cistern I have...or about to have real soon?
Don't know about that calculation for a house, as i do not use a cistern.
But, if you have the space, I personally prefer to use Tinacos over a cistern.
1) easier to maintain and with a flat cement roof zero construction neccessary.
2) if al power feeds fail or receive damage during a storm or such, then a Tinaco a few meters over your bathroom will still provide you with water for shower & toilet etc, but a cistern means no water when the pump or it's electricity feed fails.
3) you are completely flexible to adjust if you ever decide you need a bigger water storage, you can do so without any construction.
But of course such decision depends on the space you have available on your house/roof.