Charcoal -- Carbon

May 4, 2018
Charcoal can be sustainable if the branches are cut from fence posts, but on the border they are cutting down large trees for export to Haiti. The wood is converted to charcoal in the DR. Haiti also produces charcoal as a cash export, but in some regions the shortage is so bad they dig up tree roots and cut mangroves. The loss of cover and tree roots can allow severe mudslides to occur when hurricanes hit.

The whole charcoal I see at colmados is typically under 2" in diameter so prob made from branches. A common fence post tree is simarouba, which I believe is called olivio locally.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Korean recipes use honey.... sweet and sour.... I ������ love it

Plenty of honey on north coast 
N

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Why is food prepared on a BBQ here often burnt? I don't think an overdose of carbon is good for you - it certainly doesn't taste appealing.

Its because dominicans, and most latinos, prefer their meat cooked well done. I've tried to convince many that med-rare to med render the best flavor.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Ripping the meat off the grill creates 'texture' - he says

I fell for him after Ms Kaufman suggested his book... Serious Barebecue

The Scruffed & Charred is smaller and well worth it.

You may just read it once but you'll learn something

Good dry rub recipes, and more

I have done the 'drop it on the coals' trick..... it's good !!
Like cooking with no grill... well, it is cooking w/ no grill !!!

Why???

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
OK, getting back to el carbón. Where would one buy a bag or two in Santo Domingo centro?

Now, soaking beef in whiskey? Darn it I got to try that!

Anyone have a good marinade for chicken skewers, and to keep it DR related where all ingredients can be purchased locally? Soak in whiskey? I kind of like that idea...…….. LOL

The local supermarkets sell marinated chicken but it is with that sazon? mess. Way too much what your body don't need for me. I think 99% salt and a little something else. Tried it once, never again.

Tequila, lime, garlic, cilantro, and, maybe mojo

May 4, 2018
If we're going off topic, I recommended Goya's mojo criollo to marinate grilled meats. I got a small bottle at IBERIA for around 50 pesos. Next to the vinegar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ROLLOUT 
responding to your ‘Why’ about clinching or down & dirty...

It eliminates the flare up issues.... the meat is too close the coals to allow the necessary air for flare up.
Also, it gives a good crust to the meat.

It’s all written up in the book I cited ... Charred & Scruffed 
Only for charcoal...no briquettes 

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Charcoal can be sustainable if the branches are cut from fence posts, but on the border they are cutting down large trees for export to Haiti. The wood is converted to charcoal in the DR. Haiti also produces charcoal as a cash export, but in some regions the shortage is so bad they dig up tree roots and cut mangroves. The loss of cover and tree roots can allow severe mudslides to occur when hurricanes hit.

The whole charcoal I see at colmados is typically under 2" in diameter so prob made from branches. A common fence post tree is simarouba, which I believe is called olivio locally.

Look into charcoal from whole coconuts

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Bird is looking for real charcoal, I think - not briquettes.

Bird - ask any Haitian you see
City slickers like you will do better looking out of town a bit
hehehe

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
It may seem trivial but the stark contrast between the landscape on the Haitian vs Dominican sides of the border is mostly due to policy about making charcoal. Balaguer and later Dominican governments subsidized propane for cooking and restricted charcoal making. Haiti didn’t. The current business is about smuggling charcoal into Haiti to continue to service that unfortunate demand.

This single difference resulted in denuded hills, topsoil washed away, and vastly greater damage and casualties in storms.

This is one simple thing the Dominican government got right.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
add to that the effect on the rivers...

far reaching results in topography , etc

to say nothing of the starvation aspects.

There was comment earlier about coconut charcoal
My concern there would be the heat strength and duration - as I run it through my fat head

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
yes ww, I am looking for "real" charcoal.

It's easy to make your own from wood. Light up some wood in a stove pipe chimney and then cover it when the flames start to die down a little. 20 minutes later, you're cooking. Or, you can use the flames to cook rice or similar.

You don't see charcoal bags at the numerous places that make pollo asado. Just stacks of branches and such.

There are countless cases where charcoal production has decimated forests. Haiti is one example as the city folk use it for cooking.

It would be better not to start a nascent charcoal industry here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Eat Your Heart Out , Bird

I was walking through the 'gourmet' charcoal section recently....looking for the bargain - as usual.

Voila - a torn bag of Olive Pit Briquettes.... 50% OFF !!

I'll take it.

Yet to be lit - you know how it is with bargains... hate to use them when it was such a deal.
Sustainable, adds flavor (they say).... we'll see

I will mix it with my other specialty charcoal -
Mesquite, High heat, Competition (long burn)