Chartered jet retained at PUJ after suspected shipment found on board

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I haven't seen anything that says they're trying to put them back in prison. They're on bail for the year until the case comes to trial (or more probably, gets delayed).
According to the CBC, the justice department is appealing their release from prison to a guarded apartment facility. Pivot Airlines is paying for the apartment security because the crew has been threatened by people involved in the illegal transport of drugs. While in prison, a dead body was left in view outside their prison cell as a warning. They were also threatened by other prisoners In their cell who wanted them to send money to their accomplices outside the prison.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If this happened the same way in the US you can bet that these guys would not be waltzing home so fast.................
In the US they probably would have been detained while being investigated. These Muppets have a bad habbit of just grabbing whoever they can grab and throwing them in jail. Avoid any situation where the PN are likely to get involved. You can thank me later.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
According to the CBC, the justice department is appealing their release from prison to a guarded apartment facility. Pivot Airlines is paying for the apartment security because the crew has been threatened by people involved in the illegal transport of drugs. While in prison, a dead body was left in view outside their prison cell as a warning. They were also threatened by other prisoners In their cell who wanted them to send money to their accomplices outside the prison.
Forgive me for asking but what/ who is the CBC?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Forgive me for asking but what/ who is the CBC?
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Google CBC, Pivot airlines news. The flight crew speaks about the horrific treatment they received in the DR prison and their concerns for their safety if they are sent back there.

Reactions: CristoRey

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
In the US they probably would have been detained while being investigated. These Muppets have a bad habbit of just grabbing whoever they can grab and throwing them in jail. Avoid any situation where the PN are likely to get involved. You can thank me later.
At least, in the US, they could expect fair treatment from the DEA, competent legal representation, detention in a properly run prison, a bail hearing, and an eventual resolution to the problem. The DR justice system is a crapshoot and the PN don’t have a reputation for their forensic investigations skills.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I get the impression the PN rely more on the atrocious prison conditions to get a guilty confession than their investigation skills.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Can't they escape thru Haiti?
I doubt it. Probably not wise given current conditions in Haiti. I don’t know if they would have the support of a Canadian Consulate representative in Haiti. More to the point, that would insinuate they are guilty and it would be hard for them to enter Canada. They would be remanded into custody as soon as they set foot on Canadian soil. Probably better than staying indefinitely in a DR prison but it would complicate matters legally.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A Canadian airline hires a US security company to watch the plane? And the airport has none of its own security cameras there? Sounds really fishy to me.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
At least, in the US, they could expect fair treatment from the DEA, competent legal representation, detention in a properly run prison, a bail hearing, and an eventual resolution to the problem. The DR justice system is a crapshoot and the PN don’t have a reputation for their forensic investigations skills.
Pretty sure that in the US and Canada the pilot who reported the incident wouldn't be facing any legal problems. Otherwise, you might as well take your chances flying the airplane.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Why can't Prime Minister Trudeau pick up the telephone and call President Abinader and make a deal. The Dominican Republic guarantees all the Canadian hostages are to be couriered by private jet and placed on Canadian soil within 24 hours and in exchange Canada will guarantee no interruption of the 800,000 Canadians that travel to the Dominican Republic annually. Should be a 3 minute phone call. Collect. Prime Minister Trudeau could even drop by. Costa Rica is close!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why can't Prime Minister Trudeau pick up the telephone and call President Abinader and make a deal. The Dominican Republic guarantees all the Canadian hostages are to be couriered by private jet and placed on Canadian soil within 24 hours and in exchange Canada will guarantee no interruption of the 800,000 Canadians that travel to the Dominican Republic annually. Should be a 3 minute phone call. Collect.

Imagine Presidents having to get involved every time one of those 800,000 Canadians has a problem.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Thread is edging into politics, which would necessitate deleting posts and putting the offenders on vacation.

Can you (DR1) get the thread back on topic or must I go down the other route?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What a joke. After 4 months, the "Keystone Cops" here still can't figure out whether or not the pilots are involved. This tells me he security cameras were tampered with and it's and inside job going pretty high up. They haven't been able to figure out a way to save face and scapegoat somebody else yet, so they're going to hold on to the pilots until they do.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Anybody who has spent any time in the DR, has seen this same bizarre investigation scenario play out many times. Foreigners held for extended periods while the investigation plods on due to incompetence, corruption, and politics.

Under the previous and current administrations, corrupt high ranking politicians are set free after lengthy investigations, even though the evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of prosecution. Why would anyone expect the same system to favour foreigners placed into a legally compromising position by drug pushers working in collusion with airport staff, and probably police officials? How Abinader could say to Trudeau that the rule of law is followed in the DR with a straight face is beyond my comprehension.

It’s basically a waiting game at this point. As I previously posted the aircraft and crew will be released once enough money changes hands. As far as I know, they are still in an apartment complex protected by private security paid for by Pivot Airlines. Free of the horrendous conditions and threats they faced in prison.

if anything, this incident is indicative of the depth of the drug problem in DR everyday life. It permeates all levels of DR society, police, lawyers, government officials. The current government’s primary focus is on tourism while ignoring the drug problem. They feed the masses pictures of drug busts to create the impression they are serious about enforcement but we know they are only stopping a small percentage of the traffic.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is from the CBC article I posted earlier......seems they are unable to review the tapes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a telling statement =

He's also calling on international aviation authorities to help them obtain surveillance footage. The U.S. company hired to watch the plane for the five days is not co-operating with the airline's security investigation, said Edmondson.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
This is from the CBC article I posted earlier......seems they are unable to review the tapes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a telling statement =

He's also calling on international aviation authorities to help them obtain surveillance footage. The U.S. company hired to watch the plane for the five days is not co-operating with the airline's security investigation, said Edmondson.
If it's a US company, they should file a lawsuit in the US and obtain the tapes in discovery.

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
Is there any updates on these people being held still? It's so hard to get information on things to do with courts/legal there.