Cheap Santo Domingo?

Feb 7, 2007
I agree with CC. here at Almacenes Iberia I had to do it countless times, to go look for a sticker etc. I have a good memory and when the products are passed by the IR reader at the register, and the wrong price pops up, I make an issue out of that and demand the correct price be charged. Usually if I have time, I even haggle about couple of pesos, these people won't take me for stupid and charge wrong price when advertised differently. It is true most dominicans don't check receipts at cash register, nor pay attention of what is being charged. Also, same as CC I sometimes use cellphone calculator to compare price/volume ratios. It's incredible what results you can see sometimes.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ah, so Pola restocked the item, guess I got the last of the old cans.
I will try to get to Nacional and get a picture of the same product selling for $109 pesos.

Well, as promised, I went to Supermercado Nacional and got the pictures of the cans and prices.

4lr4qye.jpg

4uc9u6p.jpg

Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes - 14,5 oz - ........Cajun Style $54.95 pesos.
Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes - 14.5 oz - Original Recipe - $109.95 pesos.

There?s just NO WAY to understand the prices in this country!

TWICE as much to buy the "Original Recipe"!

Be CAREFUL Of "Two For The Price Of One" SPECIALS!!!!

Well CC,

In this case "Two For The Price of One" is really true, that is if you would be foolish enought to pay $109.95 pesos for one 14 1/2 oz can of Stewed Tomatoes.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
NotLurking

I just noticed, your picture shows the "Mexican Recipe" cans, but the price label saids "Original".

That makes the Pola price $55 pesos LESS than Nacional?s price for the Original Recipe as I stated in above post.

Hmmmm, could we buy them at Pola and return them to Nacional ????????

Now that would really be a 2 for 1 SPECIAL!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I never realized stewed tomatoes have a higher profit margin than cell phones off of eBay!
l
Perhaps I can charter one of these new Brasilian Super Tucano "fighter Jets" and fill it with stewed tomatoes?

tambo'

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I never realized stewed tomatoes have a higher profit margin than cell phones off of eBay!

Should I ship 'em in a blue barrel or use a suitcase next trip.

tambo'

It?s probably just us gringos that are buying them.

I only buy one once in a while as a special treat to myself.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Happen To Be In Boston Right Now,well LYNN to be exact!

The "10 for $10" specials at the supermarkets are, "To Die For"!!!!
All those DR1ers who want those "B&M Baked Beans??? How about 10 ,..28 oz. cans for $1.00 each????
Hot Dogs(you remember,the ones with "FLAVOR"!!) are 10 for $10.00! Thats $1.00 a pound! AND,you really don't have to buy "all ten" to get that price,just one or two is enough!!
"Orcar Mayer Bacon"ALL VARIETIES,"Buy one,get one free!
And ,unlike in the DR,they don't double the brice before the sale!!
Thase packages of "Chinese Noodles" that are 10 or 12 pesos in the DR,(Thats about 3 for a dollar) are 12 for a dollar right now at "Stop & Shop"!
I bought a large "Box Fan" to take to the DR for $15.00 !!!
Two of the Kodak disposable flash cameras,2 for $10.00 at CVS! About $12,00 each in the DR!
There are only "TWO" things that are cheaper in the DR than in the USA,and "ONE" of them is "Bananas"(And Not By MUCH!) and the "OTHER" is..................................:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Can't wait to get back for some "Bananas"?????????????????

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There are only "TWO" things that are cheaper in the DR than in the USA,and "ONE" of them is "Bananas"(And Not By MUCH!) and the "OTHER" is..................................:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Can't wait to get back for some "Bananas"?????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I hope you do not intend to combine those bananas with the "other" thing Criss!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"NO!",Of Course NOT!!

"Bananas" are messy! I prefer "CUKES"!!!
They are in season now you know!!!:cheeky:

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!",....."TASTY"!!!!!!!!;););););)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC