Cheez in the DR.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
first of all its gall :bunny:

Most of them in nacional but some of them you can find in the bigger local colmado's and sometimes if you are polite persistent enough in asking about a particular cheese, they take the effort to buy it in ;)

well thanks a bunch dudette!!! I guess i might not have to brimg my own cheez after all, this is good news, and i can finaly sleep tonight thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Well this has cleared it up when I’m in the DR its not like i go grocery shopping i usually eat out or eat at the hotel I say at but the cheese was always bad i mean for example stayed at a Hodelpa and they included breakfast, they had all sorts of foods to choose from but the cheese was horrible, and this happens every time, I go to a supposedly 5 star restaurant at plaza colon in the zonia colonial an Italian place, ordered steak a la Milanesa,ate a few friends houses same thing, it was a nightmare I never actually bought food at a super mercado other then booze and chips, I did also eat from some colamdos and again I need not say,therefore I assumed that there was no real cheese to be found, so now I know super mercados is where it’s at.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Dc

Dominican made cheese by far, as any I have tried and I have looked, Commercial Dominican made Cheese sucks..............commercial dominican made butters suck,,,,,,,commercial dominican made sour cream sucks....

I have found cream from a diary and made butter, in that case it was great.

Queso blanco is ok, but really not a cheese is it, it is like a pre-cheese, what the cultures are added to to make your different flavored and aged cheeses.

If anybody does find some good handcrafted cheese or diary products out there let us know, PLEASE.....

Maybe a off topic, but goes in hand with Dominican food, the Dominican Salami, we eat it in our house, the better quality ones are decent, but is there any expat out there who hangs thier salami in the sun like many of the criollos do?

Is that not spoiuled, I mean yes it is cooked in the factory but it does not have any miricle preservatives in it does it?

I noticed it more popular in Cibao, and now I see it being done alot around SD!!!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
DonLuis...do you really want to know the process of salami making?
No problem with hanging it in the sun :bunny:

And there are some good local brands of sour cream out there.

Last edited:

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Nothing like some good Italian Prosciutto crudo, Bresaola, culatello,pancetta,mortadella,zampone, im not even going to ask i i can get all that in the DR

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Well this has cleared it up when I?m in the DR its not like i go grocery shopping i usually eat out or eat at the hotel I say at but the cheese was always bad i mean for example stayed at a Hodelpa and they included breakfast, they had all sorts of foods to choose from but the cheese was horrible, and this happens every time, I go to a supposedly 5 star restaurant at plaza colon in the zonia colonial an Italian place, ordered steak a la Milanesa,ate a few friends houses same thing, it was a nightmare I never actually bought food at a super mercado other then booze and chips, I did also eat from some colamdos and again I need not say,therefore I assumed that there was no real cheese to be found, so now I know super mercados is where it?s at.

Are you expecting from a 2.5-3 stars hotel free breakfast to have a good cheese?
It?s like if a go to a Motel Six and expect to have a good cheese selection.
5 stars restaurants at plaza Colon? can you mention one?
real cheese in Colmadones? ha ha

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Are you expecting from a 2.5-3 stars hotel free breakfast to have a good cheese?
It?s like if a go to a Motel Six and expect to have a good cheese selection.
5 stars restaurants at plaza Colon? can you mention one?
real cheese in Colmadones? ha ha

No thats actually true, I meant the local super mercado's, the ones you find in every town or city (not Nacional, Jumbo, La Sirena).

Confusing sometimes these names...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well I dunno maybe Las Terrenas is in a different Rep. Dom. no problem here with cheese, almost whatever you want at either Lindo or Punto Italiano even the round white cheese from Samana , always bought at the roadside, is good although I don't like the salty one. Kraft cheddar isn't quite the real thing but its a good substitute, pretty good for toasted cheese on toast. (looks funny when I write it).

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i bought a pringles can once there and noticed there was a fishy taste to it
i'm assuming that the oils down in the dr are more of a fish oil base than anything else which would explain the odd taste to thier food that we gringos may not be used to in our country

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well I dunno maybe Las Terrenas is in a different Rep. Dom. no problem here with cheese, almost whatever you want at either Lindo or Punto Italiano even the round white cheese from Samana , always bought at the roadside, is good although I don't like the salty one. Kraft cheddar isn't quite the real thing but its a good substitute, pretty good for toasted cheese on toast. (looks funny when I write it).

Nono...non...Cracker Barrel is the good stuff.
Next visit to LT I will stop at Punto Italiano...directions please?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have very little to say regarding the availability of cheese, other than the fact that most major supermarkets carry large varieties of imported products, albeit some of it being really expensive. my peeve is with the butter, which has got to be the most abominable thing on earth. after eating something like anchor, or breakstones, i wonder what the heck is that stuff that vaguely resembles a dairy product.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
i don't kno where you are getting your cheez, but when i was there i had a delicious slice of cheese from some corner bodega..

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
my peeve is with the butter, which has got to be the most abominable thing on earth.

At La Sirena and National in Santiago I purchase Beurre President butter which is imported from France. It is available in salted and unsalted and come in 7 oz. sticks. The cost is RD109, a little pricey but it tastes soooooo good.............

B in Santiago

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
There are plenty of good criollo cheeses like mozarella, cheddar, etc.

Name one. I will buy and try

I have had padre de oro, induveca, sosua, san Juan, all the chedders are not cheddar. no taste. Hell might as well buy slices of american cheese and call it chedder. Same with the mozarella. further you get into the ball of hoja the worse it gets, outside leafs not to bad,.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
20t5dns.gif

As a side note:

Beware of buying a Dominoes Pizza at Pola in Santiago....

The cheese they use must not be one promoted by the chain, it is really, really bad!
And that is the opinion of me and my Dominican wife.
And we tried it two times before giving up on that store.

The other Dominoes in Santiago have good pizza......

D in Tampa/Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Name one. I will buy and try

I have had padre de oro, induveca, sosua, san Juan, all the chedders are not cheddar. no taste. Hell might as well buy slices of american cheese and call it chedder. Same with the mozarella. further you get into the ball of hoja the worse it gets, outside leafs not to bad,.
Michel is about as close to what I know as "cheddar" as I've found. But I still give it a C-.

I figure cheese here is bad because the quality of milk is very low fat and poor.

I can hardly detect any difference in Dominican cheeses beyond color. San Juan Gouda is OK but a bit overly harsh.

Reactions: Tamborista

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Acira, Punto Italiano is in the main street , unsurprisingly called Calle Duarte, just past a big motorcycle garage, next door to Bon Icecream.