Cheez in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I will admit I'm no expert on cheeses. In fact we were somewhat poor growing up so we almost exclusively ate American cheese. Even when I made decent money in the States I always bought the cheepest and had no complaints. Therefore, compared to the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses I ate in the States the local Rica and Michel cheeses are no different from the ones back home. These are the two best brands for the aforementioned cheeses because as far as I can tell they are whole milk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Chip, when i was growing up in the caribbean, we always got cheese which was donated to the country , courtesy of the American government. it was these huge bricks of surplus cheese from Wisconsin, if i remember correctly. it was, in my humble opinion, lovely stuff. nothing made locally can compare with the texture and flavor of those cheeses. i know that some Dominicans will be miffed when they read these comments, but the truth is what it is. the cheeses SUCK big time, and the butter is worse. maybe a call could be put out to some guys from Wisconsin to come here and teach people how to make cheese. i have bought local cheddar to make grilled cheese sandwiches, and the darn thing does not even melt. that is not cheese.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My good friend Chip is proudly Dominicanized.

When you eat enough platanos y arroz Dominican cheese tastes great!:cheeky:

I Love Turey......

As another cheese lover, I can sympathize with you BigBoy. The best dairy products I've ever had were from a place called Turey in Bonao. I swear it's worth the trip from anywhere, they even had ricotta. There was another dairy place next door. Both places were jammed with customers.

AE

It is a must stop for me when I travel in carretera Duarte, if someone from my family knows I'm passing by they want me to stop by and get them something, good products.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, when i was growing up in the caribbean, we always got cheese which was donated to the country , courtesy of the American government. it was these huge bricks of surplus cheese from Wisconsin, if i remember correctly. it was, in my humble opinion, lovely stuff. nothing made locally can compare with the texture and flavor of those cheeses. i know that some Dominicans will be miffed when they read these comments, but the truth is what it is. the cheeses SUCK big time, and the butter is worse. maybe a call could be put out to some guys from Wisconsin to come here and teach people how to make cheese. i have bought local cheddar to make grilled cheese sandwiches, and the darn thing does not even melt. that is not cheese.

I would recommend people try the Michel cheddar and Rica mozzarella before going on about how bad they are. The other brands aren't worth trying and don't hold a candle.

As far as the butter goes, we buy the real stuff called I believe "La Vaquita". It is a little harder than the stuff back home but I can't tell the difference.

BTW, for all of the Dominican cheese haters here, imported cheeses can be found at the finer supermarkets so no real need to keep bashing the locals.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Boy, the bittings we take in these forums. They, they the Dominicans, the Dominicans. . . All behaving just the same and in the same stupid way; all lacking knowledge in just about everything. But . . . it must be done, I supposed, in order for others to feel superior.
I guess we are the only nation whose inhabitants were probably cloned.

What can you expect? Most on this forum know very few Dominicans because they can't communicate with them and therefore will assume the worst about everything and rampantly generalize based on a few limited observations. This country and it's people have a lot to offer and I've said if it weren't for the damn politicians we would be so much better off here. For one thing people are still polite here and teenagers know how to behave.

Oh yeah, the cheddar cheese here make a mean grilled cheese sandwhich and the mozzarella cheese and good local Genoa salami make a great Italian sandwhich, cojelo ahi. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
chip, i guess it is a matter of personal tastes. as i said, having eaten breakstones, and anchor, and the french presidente, i find rica, and that la vaquita stuff to be one step above 90 weight axle grease.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Question to Brits: Is what the Americans label Cheddar anything like the real thing? So far I've resisted trying for fear of disappointment.

Dominican-made cheese is hit and miss - sometimes it's perfectly acceptable, especially St Michel that does a decent Brie or Zarina that does buffalo Mozzarella - but due to storage/refrigeration issues some batches of Danes/Holandes/Mozzarella etc. are a bitter disappointment.

Local cheeses like queso crema, queso de freir and queso de hoja are delicious IMO - but I'm a lover of mild, blandish cheeses - never gone for the stinkier stuff.

Having said that, a real nutty, strong Somerset cheddar would be bliss.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Actually I found the Gouda Cheese made in the DR better than the one I buy here imported. Maybe got used to it?

dr_dreamin

Jan 20, 2010
French guys in Rio San Juan

Where are you going to be in the D.R.? There are some French guys in Rio San Juan making goat's cheese and cow's cheese with herbs. (They also make delicious sausages and rillette.)

Quoting the email sent to me:

La Cabrita : artisanal cheeses, meats farmers and delicatessen
Our products are natural. The manufacturing and the ingredients are locally sourced.
They are prepared the day before the delivery to ensure the best freshness.
We try to satisfy you by the quality and the unique taste of our products.

Our products :

Goat cheese : 425 $RD by 5
Cow cheese : 300 $RD by 5
Sausage (pork) : 135 $RD / lb
Merguez sausage (lamb, beef, spices) : 160 $RD / lb
Pat? (pork): 280 $RD / lb
Rillette (pork): 90 $RD / unity

Meat of veal, lamb, pork depending on availability.

We deliver on Cabarete and Sosua usualy on thursdays.
Please ordering one or two days before.

La Cabrita :
Jean-Pierre : 809.989.29.48
Marius : 829.559.55.74
marius34@gmail.com

Reactions: AlterEgo

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Michel is about as close to what I know as "cheddar" as I've found. But I still give it a C-.

I figure cheese here is bad because the quality of milk is very low fat and poor.

I can hardly detect any difference in Dominican cheeses beyond color. San Juan Gouda is OK but a bit overly harsh.

Yea have tried Michel also, and your generous with your grading system.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I go to Rio San Juan almost every weekend. I'm going to try their cheese, because I too love cheese and report back. Look for info on Monday!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Question to Brits: Is what the Americans label Cheddar anything like the real thing? So far I've resisted trying for fear of disappointment.

Having said that, a real nutty, strong Somerset cheddar would be bliss.

Avoid the Kraft-- you will be disappointed... But if you find any by CABOTs of Vermont you may find that the EXTRA Sharp somewhat resembles an English Cheddar -- although creamier....

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
At La Sirena and National in Santiago I purchase Beurre President butter which is imported from France. It is available in salted and unsalted and come in 7 oz. sticks. The cost is RD109, a little pricey but it tastes soooooo good.............

B in Santiago

Imported , yes we know, Imported is GOOD

I just got from a trip from the states and bropught back 10 lbs of land o lakes butter, good toast for the next couple months.

Question is Dominican?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You CAN Find GREAT CHEESE In The DR!!!!

and,.............you CAN find an honest Dominican here too!
The First can be found at "Supermercado National".....imported!
The SECOND,
I'll keep looking!!! ;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: Tamborista

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Well...drove to Rio San Juan...to find the location...shut.

Phoned the guy who was sending his boss to show us all the goodies they make...not.

Waited for about half an hour and decided to turn back and do some shopping in Gaspar Hernandez then...for me anyway a pleasure :cheeky:

I think...DavidZ beat us to it...he got there earlier today and bought all the goodies in one go so the guy decided to close for the day :pirate::bunny:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well...drove to Rio San Juan...to find the location...shut.

Phoned the guy who was sending his boss to show us all the goodies they make...not.

Waited for about half an hour and decided to turn back and do some shopping in Gaspar Hernandez then...for me anyway a pleasure :cheeky:

I think...DavidZ beat us to it...he got there earlier today and bought all the goodies in one go so the guy decided to close for the day :pirate::bunny:

LOL!! Actually...no one posted the location and I forgot to take the number with me...but I did get a delicious queso en hoja from the queso en hoja shop just outside of GH...just had a few leaves with some spicy ungarish salami from the German butcher at Playero...mmm mmm good! ...especially after a pescado entero a la plancha at Playa Grande earlier...