Childrens Benefit Auction - Need some input!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
ChirimoyaChirimoya said:
If the decision is to channel the funds through an existing organisation - it could be with the request/condition that this goes to a new area of work, geographical or thematic so that the DR1 auction funds are supporting something new, as opposed to existing work.
When we donated the monies to the DREAM Project we did so with no strings attached. Shortly afterwards they approached us with a dedicated plan to allocate those funds to a specific new initiative which would be easy for us to track should we wish to. This was done without a request or suggestion on our part that they consider something unique and it has impressed me even more as time passes and I realize that they could have easily just absorbed the funds into a "General Operating" account but they saw the value to us of being able to see results. It definitely showed professionalism, IMHO.

Gregg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll add my vote to donating to an existing organization with the ability to channel the funds correctly. Depending on the amount, a request could go to such an organization for a new initiative.

Perhaps next year you can set up something more permanent, but at this stage it would be the best to donate to someone who already knows how to employ the funds to best effect. It would be a unfortunate thing if anyone that is giving to this initiative, feel that their donations were handled incorrectly, or used inappropriately. I'll play it by the book on this one Carina.. ;)

You can always request that they donate a portion of the funds, to give to say Sosua Kids or the Deaf school or something else equally worthy that the organizers feel they want to support.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Personally I love the scholarship idea.....

I also think it would be wisest to supply scholarship funds to skills or technical training. Something that wold prepare the recipient for a work placement.

The idea of using only half the funds each year and building a self perpetuating fund is ideal for on-going support!:classic:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Of course you make a point Gregg.
I am refering to when asking for donations, the ones who agree do so of course because this is something new and connected to DR1, and as Scott promised, No administration costs etc.

Even if it was me asking, people I know, and I was asking for items to donate on an auction as DR1 will give money to charity organizations, the respons would not be the same.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The thing is there is no such thing as 'no administration costs' when it comes to effective charity. Even if you go it alone, the time and work that you would put into identifying beneficiaries and ensuring the donation is used correctly counts as a cost. I would be very suspicious of a charity that claimed to have zero admin costs because I would wonder what sort of process was involved. Fact is, you need experienced, professional people to administer a charity, and experienced and professional people deserve to get paid.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Other suggestion - children's library/reading room?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It's an interesting discussion.
Would like to hear Scotts opinion as well here, as it is his idea from the start after all.. I'm just helping with donators, as I am lucky to know many people around here in little Puerto Plata.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
While I won't be attending I am all for supporing the DREAM project.
Transparency is key to me and they have it. Moreover, they just gain Leonel's endorsement, as well as the United Nation's AND the Jeffrey Sach's Earth Institute (which is no easy feat). They have also had a very long term relationship with Cornell since Trina is from Ithaca, NY.

I think a look at their board of directors can tell you why they are so tight on their backstroke. They have some really good people on board.

Best
D

FireGuy said:
When we donated the monies to the DREAM Project we did so with no strings attached. Shortly afterwards they approached us with a dedicated plan to allocate those funds to a specific new initiative which would be easy for us to track should we wish to. This was done without a request or suggestion on our part that they consider something unique and it has impressed me even more as time passes and I realize that they could have easily just absorbed the funds into a "General Operating" account but they saw the value to us of being able to see results. It definitely showed professionalism, IMHO.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
deelt said:
Transparency is key to me and they have it. Moreover, they just gain Leonel's endorsement, as well as the United Nation's AND the Jeffrey Sach's Earth Institute (which is no easy feat). D
At least the third endorser hasn't been implicated in any fraudulant scandals. Be careful who your friends are.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
In a developing country the types of projects we are talking about do not move with out the blessing of the president. Else, it will always be an up hill battle and a constant victim of extortion tactics by other elected or appointed people who could give a rat's arse. As for the UN, the oil-for-food programme is a completely different entity from the Millennium Development Challenge. The MDC manages a set of goals to meet the needs of the world's poorest. http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/. I can vouch for what they are trying to achieve and many of them are folks that basically mean well.

As for the oil-for-food programme, I agree those folks do make strange bed-fellows; but it is not surprising that the scandal occurred looking at the region and the level of conflict where EVERYTHING is collateral.

As for Jeffrey Sach's, he's the man. He's got some good people in his corner doing some good work. I wish I could go work for him, if only he weren't in NYC. :)

What's wrong with having folks actually trying to DO SOMETHING? These folks have created a proven and TRANSPARENT track record (with the exception of Participacion Ciudadana, few organizations can say the same). I would venture to say these people at DREAM have the courage to do what many Dominicans can't do/don't want to do for their own people.

HOWMAR said:
At least the third endorser hasn't been implicated in any fraudulant scandals. Be careful who your friends are.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chirimoya said:
The thing is there is no such thing as 'no administration costs' when it comes to effective charity. Even if you go it alone, the time and work that you would put into identifying beneficiaries and ensuring the donation is used correctly counts as a cost. I would be very suspicious of a charity that claimed to have zero admin costs because I would wonder what sort of process was involved.

I'm with Chiri on this one. She just said it shorter and better. I think you guys have a brilliant and a great idea. But, you need to take care of 'business', so to speak. Even now, I would suggest to appoint/cajole/"blackmail" an experienced person to lead you through the potholes... You could approach the Dream project for a temporary administrator... Otherwise, do the auction, and donate the funds to a good group that understands the business of doing good.

Earlier Gregg identified that you are getting donations just because you are Carina, Scott, Robert and the others involved. For myself, I donated willingly and gladly, because I know the people involved. It is however an idealistic and unrealistic statement to say 'no administrative costs'... For sure Carina is taking time away from her business, and others as well. So, there are your administrative costs. You are working on 'donated' time. The 'donated' time runs out when people have other priorities in their own lives.

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I believe both Robert and Scott are capable of handling this, and I think they have been involved in simular activities before.
I for sure have, among others HRH Crownprincess Victorias Foundation incl. fund raising, TV broadcasted concerts with world stars ( incl. getting them )
, sports events, organization and more.
Of course there are "administative costs", but those are not actually charged.
That would have been what Scott meant, by using the words "no adm. costs", as people instead dedicate their time. I.e Voluteering time.

As for donations of course it is not hard to ask for donations from people you know and people you work with one way or the other.
That is a phone call or an email, not many minutes of the day at all.
But to make a difference we also need to approach people and companies we do not know. And that do not know us.
IF they already support the various organizations around, it might be harder to get something out of them. They being mentioned on the messageboard on DR1 as Chiri mentioned, might not be enough for them to open their pockets twice for the same organization.
IF we, on the other hand, can be a complement to the organizations, look at other needs, maybe smaller or in other directions, my belief is that it will become a little easier to get more donators. Not easy, just easier.

It is never simple to do good, is it?
Anyway, it is good to discuss it, and exchange views, opinions and ideas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree, Carina, it is an interesting discussion and I'm pleased to see my comments are being taken in the spirit they are intended - they are not directed at this initiative and should be taken in a general sense.

On the question of 'no admin costs' - this is possible in the way you describe when at the fundraising stage. We've all done it at some stage in our lives, whether on a grand or a modest scale. The real costs and responsibilities start when it comes to spending the money. How do you determine where the money goes? How do you identify the neediest people? How do you ensure it is making a difference, that it is being used correctly and efficiently?

These are all questions that would have to be addressed if you were to go for the scholarship option, for example. It is a great idea but it will take a lot of commitment and consistent attention.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I can only agree with you Chiri!
I am convinced though, that Robert and the rest managing DR1, can manage that. With the assistance of input, ideas and information from fellow members of the messageboard.

It s good to be able to discuss this, because it is HARD to do good, and to do it RIGHT...so to speak..
There are many turns, many issues to consider, such as discussed here...scholarships, long term charity, or buying equipment for something needed NOW, donating supplies to schools or others etc etc...

Difficult, but again, a very interesting topic to learn about for all of us.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I like Howmar?s suggestion to set up a scholarship fund. I also like Chirimoya?s suggestion that the scholarship be for a vocational school (hopefully one that also teaches English) incorporating the ?teach to fish? analogy.

Since this is not a 501c3 charity, the problem of objectivity in the search of the recipient(s) should not be material. Since it is his fundraiser, I think Escott should choose the recipient(s).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We are not setting up another Oxfam here, let's keep this stupid simple.

It's very simple...

We plan to raise some money for the benefit of the kids on the North coast.
Please send me any ideas you have on possible worthy recipients of the money raised.

I'm sure amongst us we can handle any "paper work" and distribution of funds.

Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Precisely, and the best way of keeping it simple is to channel it through organisations that are doing effective work, not by reinventing the wheel.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
PLEASE!!! Enough, of the chatter. We are sound like charity.

Anymore posts that do not address the original specific question will be deleted.

In case any of you forgot.

We plan to raise some money for the benefit of the kids on the North coast.
Please send me any ideas you have on possible worthy recipients of the money raised.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Another very worthy North Coast recipient charity would be

Mustard Seed Community

This is a orphanage group home located in the campo between Montellano and the POP airport which houses handicapped Dominican children who have abandoned by their families and for whom there is no social net except the "kindness of strangers". These most downtrodden members of DR society would not survive but for the volunteers who run the home.

I have visited this home and can unequivocally state that there is no more deserving recipient on the North Coast, IMHO. I had initially thought that a more mainstream charity might be the way to go but on reflection I think that a major criteria should be to allocate resources where they have a chance to have a "real impact" and MSC certainly qualifies on that level.

Here is a link to the www.beyondthebeach.org section relating to MSC:

http://beyondthebeach.org/mustard_seed.htm

and here are some donor reports from the past year (just click on the pictures):

http://beyondthebeach.org/reports.htm

FYI DR1 member La Profe_1 acts as advisor or mentor or overall den mother to MSC and any of you who know her will know that this will ensure the appropriate and honest application of any possible donation. MSC is also a US 501(c)(3) corporation which allows them to issue US income tax receipts where appropriate.

Gregg