Cholera

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just a question on the "potable" water here in the DR. Now in the US, the phrase "potable" means that it is drinkable. While there are lots of stats here on the number of houses who have "potable" water, a lot of that is simply pumped from rivers and resevoirs, is it not? There is no chlorine added, is there?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Most DR aqueducts do have chlorine dossifiers...and some have florine also...

HB

Some places have excellent water. Mao used to, I do not know today. Santiago does for the most part. La Vega is famous for its water.

One issue is the piping: years ago they used asbestos-cement piping since the government owned the factory!! So most of the water systems have water pipes that might be cracked. Nearby, there might be sewer lines also cracked.
The water pumps get turned off due to lack of power, and a vacuum is created in the pipes, sucking in pollution from the sewers... THAT is how the systems get contaminated!!

Massive overhaul of water systems would absorb the budget of the Armed Forces or the Ministries of the Women, the Youth and Culture (and the Office of the First Lady) together!!! and we KNOW how important those ministries are!!

HB2

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Just a question on the "potable" water here in the DR. Now in the US, the phrase "potable" means that it is drinkable. While there are lots of stats here on the number of houses who have "potable" water, a lot of that is simply pumped from rivers and resevoirs, is it not? There is no chlorine added, is there?

The water is pumped out of the rivers - at least - here it is.
In Jarabacoa we got water from a natural spring and didn't have to add anything to it to make it potable as it was natural spring water directly delivered to the house.

Here chlorine is added in the reservoirs and monitored that its potable although we only use it for cooking, washing, showering but its safe to use to brush your teeth with f.e... Real drinking water comes from the blue bottles.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
This is the first Cholera in Haiti for a hundred years according to the BBC.

According to my health NGO buddy around 150 people die from regular intestinal infections, especially bacterial infections each week normally in Haiti.

The river in St Marc flooded mixing with sewage (turds) and this is the main source of water for cooking, washing and for some, drinking.

Again, according to the BBC, the situation although not a direct result of the earthquake is being exacerbated by lots of extra people living in the St Marc / Artibonite region having left Port au Prince because of the earth quake. So the earthquake could be seen as a proximate cause, if you like.

If you wash your hands and eat only canned food, well cooked food and boiled and disinfected water and remember not to eat any turds then you should be OK.

Nobody has to die of Cholera as it is easily treatable.
Allegedly there are 100,000 IV treatments available - not enough obviously.
And 30,000 vaccination doses available - I will give you three guesses who gets those

Most Haitian country folk see upset stomachs and mild diarrhea as a way of life - not a nice thing to say but it is true - so these people did not think anything out of the ordinary was happening until it was too late. That is what caused the initial spike in the death toll.

The cases in Port au Prince apparently were people who got infected further north and traveled to Port au Prince - thus Port au Prince is not a new infection center - according to the BBC.

As a precaution, I personally am restricting myself to certain distilled spirits, fine imported tonic water, ice that I make myself and lemon (yes the yellow ones) that I bought before the outbreak - oh, and cigarettes for my vitamins.

Thanks for the explanation and stay save.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Might be the right time to consider some "extra" filtration of water used for washing food, etc., just to be safe. Lots of options, but I might be tempted to look at something along these lines ...

The Lifesaver Bottle

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I wondered about 'potable' water too.

To be honest I would not drink the 'potable' water in Haiti that comes out of a water truck. I have quite a good set of immunity by now but still prefer to buy from a reputable water processor.

Mainly this 'potable' water has just been pumped out of the ground.

The problem for me is that the ground is so filthy.
If not then the truck is likely not clean.

I have done excavations for various projects and you can see decades of trash layered as in an archaeological dig.

I will only drink the reverse osmosis, UV treated and heavily filtered water.

I only got sick once in Haiti but that was spectacular!
I will not go into details but I would not wish that on anybody.

So potable water for the masses is different to potable water for us lilly livered expats.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the reports I read mentioned a pollutant from a hydroelectric plant being dumped into the river as the possible cause. Any more about that?

Several years ago I worked on a project that supplied potable water to slum residents in Cap-Haitien. The conditions in the slums and some of the water sources that people were using even shocked colleagues who had worked in urban slums in India and Africa.

Jul 4, 2010
One of the reports I read mentioned a pollutant from a hydroelectric plant being dumped into the river as the possible cause. Any more about that?

Several years ago I worked on a project that supplied potable water to slum residents in Cap-Haitien. The conditions in the slums and some of the water sources that people were using even shocked colleagues who had worked in urban slums in India and Africa.

Hydroelectric plant pollutants don't contain the vibrio cholerae bacteria. According to Haitian President Rene Preval, the vibrio cholerae bacteria was 'imported' into Haiti. I read into President Preval's statement, a suggestion of possible foul play.

Jul 4, 2010
"Haitian President Rene Preval said on Saturday that the cholera epidemic affecting the country since the beginning of the week was "imported". Preval, however, does not want to investigate the origin of the outbreak. "It would be irresponsible and dangerous" to identify a country as a source of the epidemic that has killed 210 people, said the Haitian leader to station Radio Kiskeya in Mirebalais, one of the areas affected by the disease.

Accompanied by Health Minister, Alex Larsen, head of the Interior, Paul Antoine Bien-Aime, and the police chief, Mario Andr?sol, Preval also visited Artibonite (north), another division greatly affected by the outbreak. "

Haiti president, Rene Preval, Suggests that Cholera Outbreak is a Biological Attack. - 12160

Jul 4, 2010
"El brote de c?lera declarado en Hait? podr?a estar relacionado con un r?o contaminado que pasa muy cerca de Artibonite, seg?n el Fondo de Naciones Unidas para la Infancia (Unicef). Sin embargo, el presidente de Hait?, Ren? Pr?val, asegur? ayer que la epidemia fue "importada", aunque se abstuvo de identificar su procedencia.

"Ser?a irresponsable y peligroso" identificar a un pa?s o nacionales de alg?n territorio como fuente de la epidemia que causa estragos en el norte y el este de Hait?, declar? Pr?val a la emisora privada Radio Kiskeya. "

Las v?ctimas mortales del c?lera en Hait? se elevan a 253

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
"El brote de c?lera declarado en Hait? podr?a estar relacionado con un r?o contaminado que pasa muy cerca de Artibonite, seg?n el Fondo de Naciones Unidas para la Infancia (Unicef). Sin embargo, el presidente de Hait?, Ren? Pr?val, asegur? ayer que la epidemia fue "importada", aunque se abstuvo de identificar su procedencia.

"Ser?a irresponsable y peligroso" identificar a un pa?s o nacionales de alg?n territorio como fuente de la epidemia que causa estragos en el norte y el este de Hait?, declar? Pr?val a la emisora privada Radio Kiskeya. "

Las v?ctimas mortales del c?lera en Hait? se elevan a 253

So in other words he suspects the DR because what other neighbor Haiti has?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh yes, it's the DR's fault and I guess the earthquake was caused by a new super secret bomb the US military was testing in the Port-au-Prince area too.

Anything else requires too much common sense to be even considered as a plausibility! :paranoid:

What a way of backstabbing at a time when everyone was beginning to believe that this habit was suppose to be a thing of the past.

On a more realistic note, food prepared in Haiti and fish is now prohibited from being sold in the border markets until this cholera thing is under control. Unlike the Haitian government and despite it's perceived levels of corruption, the Dominican government still makes efforts to protect its people from crap that should not even be occurring on the island in the 21st century.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
On a more realistic note, food prepared in Haiti and fish is now prohibited from being sold in the border markets until this cholera thing is under control. Unlike the Haitian government and despite it's perceived levels of corruption, the Dominican government still makes efforts to protect its people from crap that should not even be occurring on the island in the 21st century.

the only fish from Haiti that I have seen is sold in Pedernales.. and if the fish in Anse a Pitres are contaminated... then so are the ones in Pedernales.