Christmas traditions in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No stockings hung by the fire place at Residencia DV8?

no tree, no decoration, no gifts. i take it easy. no kids here to do the whole xmas circus. these days i just want a few drinks and a laptop with dr1 access.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The artificial tree thing seems to be something from the last decade. I clearly remember in 2000, my first Christmas in DR, picking up a real tree on the parking place of ferreteria Hache on JF Kennedy. It felt 'different' to get a Christmas tree in shorts and t-shirt.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We do los aguinaldos here, my wife and her brothers and sisters used to do it as kids, and deceided to round up the kids ( not ours cos we dont have any ) last weekend. But they waited to 6am

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
But not the same song but near enough. Si tu te levanta y me obra la puerta, yo estare cantando hasta que amaneca. A la sarandela, a la sarandela, a la sarandela de mi corazon. ( or something like that). Good fun and u get fed biscuts and heavy sugar herbal tea.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one thing i can say is that in poland those kolędnicy guys have decency to do it in the evenings. maybe because unlike in DR, most polaks are employed or at school during the day.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
In the poor barrios, Christmas is good with a colorful table cloth. Something beyond "The Bandara". A mini buffet. En la tarde, vente quarto. Pretty much another day.
People with children, nieces and nephews, worry about how they can provide just a little something on Three Kings Day.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Traditional Christmas Eve dinner is what we have at the in-laws. Christmas Day we drive back to the Capital and I make lasagna for dinner. This year though a lot of the family will be in the US, nieces and nephews, sister in-law, etc...so I will probably stay in the Capital and see what I can come up with.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
raw egg yolks?

include me out

My grandmother egg nog recipe:

6 eggs (beaten)
16 ounces of milk
16 ounces of 35% whipped cream . Now we use 15% cream
16 ounces of Rye Whisky
1 ounce of rhum
4 ounces of sugar

Mix well

Sprinkle some nutmeg (for those who love nutmeg)

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
christmas here is a bit nuts for me. I will not swap my customs for dominican ones (salad at christmas, un) and so it es very drawn out, but you know you've had a feast by early jan.
24th, dominican xmas dinner, we the men stand in the street, cupping our testicles, pulling our vests over our beer bloated stomachs in a ritual that i believe is there to boast who has been fed best throughout the year, the larger your stomach the wealthier we are. We talk nonesense while the women go for guiness records in how many people you can fit in in 8ft kitchen without scaldin babies and all 6 hobs a blazin.
Eventually the mamoth celebrtion and feast es unveiled en this especial ocasi?n, and surprise surprise es frinkin rice, veg and pork, exactly what de eat all year round.
We eat and then head back to the street to talk with our neighbours, again cupping testicles, but now burping and have moved ont? strong liquer. Buy the time night sets in all the kids in the family have hijacked the master bed and us adults are happy to drift off on sofa cussions or loungers.

25th, actual Xmas, britsh style. I get the turkey in the oven by 8am. Kids open pressies go a bit nuts. Family come to offer help when i send them away, anywhere and to come back forma 2pm. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, peas, sprouts, yourkshire pudding, green beans, mashed, roasted and boiled pots, the works. They come back, we sit down to eat, a little drunk by this time. Begin at 3pm and still at the table at 10 11 pm. Custard, trifle, coffee, a sing son and then bed or talking and drinking into the early hours.

26th, up early to prepare the visiting food, another british day. Sausage rolls, boiled eggs, mince pies, cakes. Drag the family into the dar and go and visita all the people de dont want to visit us. Dropping off the kids gifts and topping up on alcohol all the way. Home before midnight, bed, li? in next day.

Jan 6th, time fir the kids to get more gifts, friends and family stop by and give us stuff, and de do the same. Even Xmas costs es expats double.

This year will be different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Eventually the mamoth celebrtion and feast es unveiled en this especial ocasi?n, and surprise surprise es frinkin rice, veg and pork, exactly what de eat all year round.

yes, puzzling, isn't it? i've had exactly the same food for all birthdays, anniversaries, wakes, christenings and a variety of other occasions i cannot name. the only difference is the obscene amount of the food served.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Some kids believe in Santa and baby Jesus, others in the three wise men. Some only get presents on either Dec 25th or January 6th. But some kids get presents on both dates. It all depends on where you were raised and your family's financial situation.

I have some Dominican friends who've told their children that Santa doesn't exist. They just take the kid to the store to pick something they really like.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
DR is a bit torn by different traditions so xmas customs differ from family to family. for instance gifts can be given on the 24th, 25th or even 6th of january.

the main meal is usually on the 24th, in the evening. the fare depends on the financial situation and can be either chicken, turkey, pierna or a roasted pig. other dishes served include empanadas, pasteles en hoja, ensalada rusa. christmas fruits are grapes and apples. nuts are also eaten. sweets will include traditional dominican bizcocho as well as spanish turron.

the only trees i have ever seen were artificial.

there is lots of drinking over christmas, mainly rum and whiskey but also this nasty vomit inducing ponche. i think it's made using eggs, i never touch that s**t.

the government does give away food and organizes dinners. it was in the news just few days ago.

pche de oro , I think we go through about ten bottles at our school Christmas party. I don't drink it either.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I would give anything for a Yorkshire....oh where are you.. I ll be over at Xmas... please save me a Yorkshire pud...... great story... love it..
christmas here is a bit nuts for me. I will not swap my customs for dominican ones (salad at christmas, un) and so it es very drawn out, but you know you've had a feast by early jan.
24th, dominican xmas dinner, we the men stand in the street, cupping our testicles, pulling our vests over our beer bloated stomachs in a ritual that i believe is there to boast who has been fed best throughout the year, the larger your stomach the wealthier we are. We talk nonesense while the women go for guiness records in how many people you can fit in in 8ft kitchen without scaldin babies and all 6 hobs a blazin.
We eat and then head back to the street to talk with our neighbours, again cupping testicles, but now burping and have moved ont? strong liquer. Buy the time night sets in all the kids in the family have hijacked the master bed and us adults are happy to drift off on sofa cussions or loungers.

25th, actual Xmas, britsh style. I get the turkey in the oven by 8am. Kids open pressies go a bit nuts. Family come to offer help when i send them away, anywhere and to come back forma 2pm. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, peas, sprouts, yourkshire pudding, green beans, mashed, roasted and boiled pots, the works. They come back, we sit down to eat, a little drunk by this time. Begin at 3pm and still at the table at 10 11 pm. Custard, trifle, coffee, a sing son and then bed or talking and drinking into the early hours.

26th, up early to prepare the visiting food, another british day. Sausage rolls, boiled eggs, mince pies, cakes. Drag the family into the dar and go and visita all the people de dont want to visit us. Dropping off the kids gifts and topping up on alcohol all the way. Home before midnight, bed, li? in next day.

Jan 6th, time fir the kids to get more gifts, friends and family stop by and give us stuff, and de do the same. Even Xmas costs es expats double.

This year will be different.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm definitely going to try this but instead will use canned pumpkin puree and see how it tastes.

It does look good.
It is amazing, and nowhere near as empalagoso as ponche.

BTW I finally hope to make those mince pies this weekend! I've been mustering up the courage as I have zero pastry-making skills. I've been dropping hints to all my friends in the hope that they will take over the task. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
empalagoso? wow. such a useful word and i did not know it! thank you, chiri!

in general i am a fan of british food, but british xmas sweets border on abomination. christmas pudding? god save me. i only bought it once and it went right into the bin. i still remember that best before date on that criminal item was 2016. and i bought it it in 2004 or so. minced pies are also gross. the pastry is nice but why fill it with... with... bueh.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
DV*, the catholic Parish I attended as a child was heavily Polish. We had a tradition on Christmas eve the priest would come to the house with a candle and holy water and bless the house from basement to attic. We children always enjoyed it. In fact, it was always a BIG deal when the priest came to dinner. loved the video.

Thanks

we have a similar tradition in poland:

[video=youtube;QT-8Quq6deY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-8Quq6deY[/video]

there walk around houses and ask for money. under the pretense of signing carols. i guess it must be the same in DR. navidad is used as an excuse to pry into people's houses and maybe eat and drink free.