Christmas traditions in DR

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
DV8, you may know this, but when polka originated in the mid 19th century it spread around the world. It landed in Mexico and stayed there. The popular music style Banda is based on Polka. Just don't try to tell that to a Mexican.

I was once riding the train in Boston and chatted up a kid carrying a big tuba. He was classical musician. I asked him if he knew of Mexican music and its use of the tube. Young people partying down and drinking beer. A Master of Fine Art student at Berklle College of Music, and he had no clue.

BTW, Juan Luis Guerra attended Berklee.

it's polka. yes, the same as a dance.

in poland we eat two fishes: carp and herring. occasionally you may see pike or zander. traditionally you have to try every dish on the table. when we went home for xmas miesposo was very skeptical about it but he obediently tried a tiny piece of everything and then focused all his attention on pierogi :)

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It's almost untranslatable, at least in English. It can also be applied to people.

And I'm not a fan of British food generally but I do love mince pies, Christmas pud etc.

Chiri, speaking of mince pies, how did it turn out? I'm curious.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8, what is the name of that famous very Polish song they sing at Christmas? I assume you will know the one I am talking about. It does not seem to have been translated. What a beautiful melody!

fast or slow?

you may be talking about this:

[video=youtube;inoWL5fhZWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoWL5fhZWA[/video]

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
See my earlier post - I haven't worked up the courage to try yet, but hopefully this weekend

For a flaky pie crust make sure to add ice water to the flour and butter. The purpose of adding ice water
is not to allow the butter to melt prior to rolling and baking.

Good Luck, but I know it will turn out all right.:)

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Oh Matilda I have been having a tough day, thank you sooooo much for making me laugh. Throw out and burn my old clothes - 'not on your nelly' as we say in the UK! As for old mops, well I have one but my communal neighbours would certainly NOT appreciate me leaving it out but I have bought a new one (only yesterday) ... as for pigs in a bag - that is me in my sarong first thing in the morning (and a large t-shirt over it, of course!)

And something I have only just discovered about Dominican Christmas traditions - hot off the press

What about your saucepans?: Dominican Christmas Traditions

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
I think that is the song, thanks. I recall a Christmas with my friend Paul Wesolowski at the Polish American Club in Miami when they sang that song.

In most Hispanic countries, eating pork (lech?n being the favorite) is a sign that one is a good Catholic, because Muslims and Jews will not eat pork. If you want to have some fun, go into any bar in Spain and ask ask anyone who has the best jam?n (ham). This will get more response than asking about football in Green Bay.

The polka came to Mexico when the elite and most religious Mexicans invited Napoleon III to send them an Emperor, and Maximilian von Hapsburg arrived with a bunch of French and Zouave troops. The music was really popular with Alsatian musicians that came along, who were fond of oom-pa music, with tubas and accordions. Benito Juarez had Maxi shot, but the polka stayed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My best friend growing up was a Jew.
In his family, "Ham", and "Bacon" were not considered to be "PORK"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a vegetarian friend who's favourite dish is bacon ;)
she says it's a separate food group.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Chef on TV once said,..."There is no vegetarian dish on Earth, that a pound of BACON can't make just a Little Bit Better!!!"
Agreed!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans start frenzy in supermarkets

Santo Domingo.– Dominicans of all social classes started converging on the supermarkets since Saturday, to buy the groceries to celebrate the traditional Christmas Eve dinner today Tuesday.

The so-called economic crises was forgotten momentarily, and all that counted was to stock up on pork, chicken, turkey, fruits, vegetables, nuts, wine, liqueurs and sweets, which are served as part of the traditional Christmas Eve meal.

Let the celebration begin!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2013/12/24/50051/Dominicans-start-frenzy-in-supermarkets

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For a flaky pie crust make sure to add ice water to the flour and butter. The purpose of adding ice water
is not to allow the butter to melt prior to rolling and baking.

Good Luck, but I know it will turn out all right.:)

and do not get your fingers into the dough. use a cutter. right, bronzie?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just waited two hours for lechon, but there was good coffee there and the owners are clients. Their pork is the best I've had here on the island. Place was crowded and the two places a couple hundred yards away were almost empty. They had about 15 pigs on at the same time. At 200 pesos per lb they were bring in the dough.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe she was just, how should I say this???????????
FRUGAL!!!!!
I would die for some great "Matzoh Ball Soup"!!!!!!
And that's sure cheaper than Lobster!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Chopped Liver"????????????????????
"To DIE FOR"!
Next to Bacon, I LOVE, "Chicken Fat"!

huron007

Dec 16, 2013
DR is a bit torn by different traditions so xmas customs differ from family to family. for instance gifts can be given on the 24th, 25th or even 6th of january.

the main meal is usually on the 24th, in the evening. the fare depends on the financial situation and can be either chicken, turkey, pierna or a roasted pig. other dishes served include empanadas, pasteles en hoja, ensalada rusa. christmas fruits are grapes and apples. nuts are also eaten. sweets will include traditional dominican bizcocho as well as spanish turron.

the only trees i have ever seen were artificial.

there is lots of drinking over christmas, mainly rum and whiskey but also this nasty vomit inducing ponche. i think it's made using eggs, i never touch that s**t.

the government does give away food and organizes dinners. it was in the news just few days ago.

Presents are open on January 6th (Dia de Reyes).

Other than expats only gringo butt loving Dominicans would open their presents on 25th of December.

There's another day to open presents called "La vieja Belen'. Can't remember what day is only know is after Dia de Reyes, which was a convenient fix for any parent struggling to come up with presents on January 6th.

Any toy less kid asked "where was his presents" would say; "mom told me I have to wait for la vieja Belen".