Cibao “i”

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Hey, estimado bachata, have you noticed any discrepancies with the records you've located?

Considering that our folks never had the urgency in declaring birth and death dates in a timely fashion, I'd tend to think there are many mistakes in the records.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hey, estimado bachata, have you noticed any discrepancies with the records you've located?

Considering that our folks never had the urgency in declaring birth and death dates in a timely fashion, I'd tend to think there are many mistakes in the records.
Yes I have a hard time trying to find my own birth certificate, the handwriting in the original book was correct but in the system was totally incorrect 😕 I was able to find it by looking at the father's name which are on the right column of the document. The personal who type the information in the computer system makes a lot of mistakes. I believe the reason is because the microfilms are almost unreadable specially when the documents are from the 1800 and early 1900.

JJ

Reactions: Lucifer

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You’re probably right, but I’ve seen a lot of late births registered. A father showing up weeks or months after child’s birth to declare them. Birth records are usually pretty accurate, it’s the death records that are loaded with errors because sometimes the person reporting the death is guessing at ages and parents’ names, especially with older people’s deaths. Not to mention all the nicknames, so many do not use their legal names. Mr AE is known by a nickname to everyone. Years ago I remember one of his younger brothers seeing a return address label on an envelope we’d mailed his mother (yes, they used to deliver mail in SD), and they asked “Pero quien es Leonardo?”

Reactions: bachata and Lucifer

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Death registration of my Tia Abuela Ana antonia Rojas Arnaud, daughter of my great grand parents Rafael de Jesus Rojas Guzman and Madam Romelina Arnaud.
Document dated =01-06-1926 Moca Dominican Republic recorded in La Iglesia Nuestra Senora del Rosario.

JJ

Attachments

• Ana Antonia Rojas Arnaud, Acta def..jpg
    Ana Antonia Rojas Arnaud, Acta def..jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: NALs and Lucifer

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My great Grand father Death certificate.
Rafael De jesus Rojas Guzman, born in 1875 Moca dominican Republic. death registration date 10-16-1945 profession = Acendado.

death place = Ciudad Trujillo.

JJ
Rafael Eduardo Rojas Guzman, Acta def..jpg

Reactions: CristoRey

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I have downloaded and saved in my computer most birth and death certificates of my ancestors, I am making a family tree. This is going to be my legacy for all the family and future generations.

Some of cousin are amazed about all the information I have found.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Print them and put them in a plastic see through sleeves and then in a fireproof briefcase. You can get both online. In case something happens with the computer, the site that has the microfilma, etc; there are physical back ups that could be scanned again into a computer.

Reactions: bachata

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bachata said:
Some of cousin are amazed about all the information I have found.

JJ
I believe it. In addition, many people think the only place you can have access to old documents and records is in the DR, while in reality you can be anywhere in the rest of the world. You just need to know where to look. The funny part is that you end up with access to old documents that many of the people you know are in the DR 24/7 have never had access to. lol

It's basically the same concept with many other things. If the analysis of sonething is based on say the information published by the Central Bank, all you need is access to that information to do your analysis. The information is the same whether you are in the DR or elsewhere, since the source will always be the same one. The only difference is that in the DR you can go the library in the physical office of the Central Bank to get access to the very same info that is available online, particularly spreadsheets of various topics. Some people seem they aren't aware of that. lol

The funny part again is that many of the people that criticize you for that are in the DR 24/7 and they have never been to the library in the office of the Central Bank. If they use the info published by the Central Bank, they get it from the same source you do. lol

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Print them and put them in a plastic see through sleeves and then in a fireproof briefcase. You can get both online. In case something happens with the computer, the site that has the microfilma, etc; there are physical back ups that could be scanned again into a computer.
Better yet. Save them as .pdf files and put them in your Google drive.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
You’re probably right, but I’ve seen a lot of late births registered. A father showing up weeks or months after child’s birth to declare them. Birth records are usually pretty accurate, it’s the death records that are loaded with errors because sometimes the person reporting the death is guessing at ages and parents’ names, especially with older people’s deaths. Not to mention all the nicknames, so many do not use their legal names. Mr AE is known by a nickname to everyone. Years ago I remember one of his younger brothers seeing a return address label on an envelope we’d mailed his mother (yes, they used to deliver mail in SD), and they asked “Pero quien es Leonardo?”
Hah! Leonardo who?

Yes, death records are a mess in the D.R. My maternal grandfather is listed as having passed away two years after the fact.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You're a business continuity wizard NALS!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Cibao “i”
"i" as in interesting read.
"Algunas vez te has preguntado porqué los cibaeños y cibaeñas hablan con la i?"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hah! Leonardo who?

Yes, death records are a mess in the D.R. My maternal grandfather is listed as having passed away two years after the fact.

Mr AE’s paternal grandparents were born in el Cibao, died in Santo Domingo. Their ages were 100 and 105 supposedly, but I don’t believe that. Unfortunately, I can’t find either of their birth certificates.

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Found something interesting tonight, in this document the same person El Senor Luis Felipe Rojas profession comerciante hace declaracion de nacimiento of two children born a year prior the event date 02-14-1912 = Declaracion tardia.
A girl who is the daughter of a lady who lives in his parents' house (my tatara- abuelo Carlos Maria Rojas ) and a son of him self.

Luis Felipe Rojas RIP is the founder of DR Fabrica de Refrescos Imperio located on Av. 2 De mayo entrada de moca from Santiago, same location where my Abuelo Ramon Antonio Rojas "El Chori" RIP used to have his Panificadora, dulceria y reposteria.

JJ

Attachments

• Luis Felipe Rojas, dos declaraciones de nacimiento.jpg
    Luis Felipe Rojas, dos declaraciones de nacimiento.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: NanSanPedro

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Mr AE’s paternal grandparents were born in el Cibao, died in Santo Domingo. Their ages were 100 and 105 supposedly, but I don’t believe that. Unfortunately, I can’t find either of their birth certificates.
You might be able to find it, I recommend you to use a PC with a 19'' monitor at least and type the names in different ways, also birth and death locations sometimes will limit you to find it, type Dominican Republic instead of Santo Domingo. check parents and children names beside the names of the principal in your search.
Sometimes I spend hours trying to find a person, some times is not even typed in the system, if you know the event date search in the microfilms.

JJ

Reactions: AlterEgo

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, you're right in doubting the age. On my maternal side of the family, no one has reached 100 years of age. Sad but true.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, you're right in doubting the age. On my maternal side of the family, no one has reached 100 years of age. Sad but true.

It’s been a real challenge. His grandmother was born in navarrette (we think). Surname was originally Vesco, then Besco, then Beco (I’m sure that makes total sense to you as a Dominican) and old 1800s records have mostly Beco but some Besco too.
His grandfather could have been born anywhere in Cibao. We’re not even sure of his mother’s name. I was told it was Anastasia Gonzalez, but found marriage record in Santiago cathedral with Bernalba Hernandez. I’m a pretty experienced researcher, and I can’t find his birth. He lived all over the place, maybe because he built bridges. Mao, Esperanza, mostly Los Armacigos, before moving to Santo Domingo. Even Puerto Rico. Everyone agreed he was very old. But 105?

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Supposedly my spouse's great grandmother lived to be 110 yrs. based on the documents we found on our online search. But that is impossible because it would have meant she was still alive when my son was born. However, she was deceased before he was born. I think AE your comment about "late birth registrations" may have a lot to do with incorrect ages.

Reactions: JD Jones

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Supposedly my spouse's great grandmother lived to be 110 yrs. based on the documents we found on our online search. But that is impossible because it would have meant she was still alive when my son was born. However, she was deceased before he was born. I think AE your comment about "late birth registrations" may have a lot to do with incorrect ages.
Did you check the handwriting in the microfilms? I found discrepancy in more than one of the documents of family members and in my own birth certificate.
Example my cousin Sarah Cesarina...
She was born 1969 the computer file say 1939 but the microfilms which is correct say the true date.

JJ

Attachments

• IMG-20230907-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0004.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20230907-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230907-WA0003.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: keepcoming