Citizenship update

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
At times I feel like making a cold call to that office and having a face to face with the folks there, tell them what I've got, and ask what I need to make it happen.

I bet I would be given a very short list.
I visited that office in person today with my husband, for the first time. My file has been in process for one year because every time it was submitted, they came back with new requisitos. (Very bad timing for us, just when the Min. I&P is busy changing things on a daily basis). The object today was exactly as JDJones mentioned - to have a face-to-face with them, have them review my file, and confirm what remains to be done (insisting that I wanted this to be the last time, since only a few things were remaining). We also wanted to clarify one item - why do they want the Certificacion de movimientos migratorios emitida by DGM ? when they already have all my info of my in/out of the country in my passport and the details on my application form. We were told "that's the law". So yes, we got a status report but the list was not shorten in any way. They confirmed what we already knew was remaining. I did not find them to be flexible - they have their list of requisitos, and that's what they expect to be provided. I think Lindsay received special consideration because she had already been given the verbal ok and because she was in this for 3 years. The ones who have recent files in process will be asked to provide all on the list of requisitos. We will be going back in 10 days with a complete file. Will report back in this forum.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Have pmed you with name of head honcho but make sure you have police report from home country. That is the difficult one as well as the notary report that you live here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JDFriend

that Migratory report was what snafooed me....

Over my residency tenure I have used 3 passports ....
they couldn't pull up ONE of them... zero, zilch , nada

I copied my most recent and gave it to them...
doing their job.
The new system may not be totally integrated yet........

There is one person who is responsible for ALL applications...one migratory analyst...for the country.

Not perfect, but it is what it is....

Why the migratory analysis?.... Beats me

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A notarized document that you live here and a migratory analysis. Seems like the migratory analysis would be enough to confirm where you lived.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Latest and last update from me.

Yesterday I was sworn in as a citizen. The MIP called me at 5 pm the day before to confirm I was coming. We were told to be there at 9 am with one guest allowed and formal clothes. Everyone (there were 40 of us) was shown into the auditorium, given a leaflet on the proceedings,a copy of the Constitution, had a Dominican lapel flag pin pinned on us and sat and waited. Only 15 of the 40 were naturalization by marriage, the rest were ordinary citizenship and the vast majority were from South America with Columbia, Venezuela and Cuba in the lead. I was the only Brit, and there was one person from Belgium, two from Haiti and two from the US. All of the people I spoke to had only taken 6 to 9 months to be approved - it appears they are told to get a police report from their home country at the outset now, to save waiting (as I did) for Interpol.
The ceremony was quick and organized and over in 45 minutes. We were each given a large envelope with perfect instructions on how to get your birth certificate and passport.
Husband and I charged over to the main JCE office which was a shambles, and on handing in my paperwork at reception, my first conversation with a Dominican following being sworn in was her saying "Bloody hell it's the last Thursday of the month so we are going to get all these bloody foreigners in. "
You go from one queue to another, from one window to another, and if you decide on the VIP service it takes you a lot longer as you pay your RD$1500 once, then have to go round again - window one, pay at cashier (another RD$3500) and then back to the queue to go back to window one. It normally takes 3 weeks for birth cert to be ready, VIP is 24 hours but you can only collect them from that main JCE. Three options, stay in SD and go back and collect it next day, don't pay for VIP and go back in 3 weeks, get someone else to pick it up for you. I chose option 3.
So all in all successful, two hours in the JCE and then back home.
Naturalization was very well organized, and it is the first time I have known one government agency provide all the paperwork needed for another (the envelope had copies of everything needed for the birth cert and passport).

Matilda

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Hurray, the official day you have been waiting for has finally arrived! Good to know I have a new Dominican amiga!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Matilda, now that you are a Dominican citizen does it mean you have to be late for everything???

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, now that you are a Dominican citizen does it mean you have to be late for everything???

Of course. I will also spend hours in the salon and watching novellas. I will call husband constantly to ask where he is and will take at least 10 selfies a day. However I will remain British when it comes to mopping and other cleaning duties. I also doubt I will be going to the shops with a head full of rollers.

Matilda

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Congratulations you're a Dominicana. Wish me good luck, it will be my turn soon (to finally submit my file). Celyne

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
¡Felicidades Matilda!

You should get one of these to wear on special occasions.

Flag-Pins-Great-Britain-Dominican-Republic.jpg

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Love the flags NALS. They pinned a Dominican one on each of us at the ceremony.

Matilda

Moro

Jul 28, 2017
I don't think it was back door, and I was prepared to fight against the expiration of documents as that is contrary to the ruling of the JCE who determined that they don't expire, so what was on the list was illegal - ie that they have to be less than 6 months old. I just think that the person I saw was sensible and knew that the requirements were absurd. As I said I think it is about having a relationship with the office that makes the difference.
Plus I gave the name of the person I had the meeting with to someone at the same stage as me, she has called, and she also has been given the same degree of flexibility and given she applied before residency was needed she does not have to renew that either.
So it's not just me.

Matilda

Hey Matilda congratulations! that was well deserved!!

I need some help please....you mentioned you was prepared to fight against the expiration of documents,
My birth certificate has expired, could you equip me for the battle please jijiji.

regards

el moro

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hey Matilda congratulations! that was well deserved!!

I need some help please....you mentioned you was prepared to fight against the expiration of documents,
My birth certificate has expired, could you equip me for the battle please jijiji.

regards

el moro

Is it a Dominican one or foreign? Dominican ones no longer expire according to the JCE, so that should not be an issue and when I was granted citizenship my birth cert was 3 years old as that was how long they had it, so should also not be an issue.

Matilda

Moro

Jul 28, 2017
My birth certificate is a foreign one.

I pray they don't give me a headache. 

my birth certificate is 7 months old.