Citizenship update

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I am putting my update here rather than starting a new thread so that if someone is looking for info on citizenship it is all in one place.

I moved to the DR in 2014 and got married with my Dominican. I started the process for citizenship through matrimony at that time but they changed the rules and I had to get the temporary residency first. 6 months into my temp residency I was able to apply for citizenship. Waited, waited and waited then was told they approved my application. Got a school kid from the family to help me study the famous 50 questions and passed with flying colours. Was told to wait for Interpol like every one else. Meanwhile my residency has expired. Oh well. I went back to Canada last summer and got the RCMP certificate in lieu of Interpol report and learned about the new set of requirements at that time. I called and emailed MIP several times and was finally given officially a generic list of requirements. I got most of them done except for the Movemientos Migratorios. I did a spread sheet instead showing exactly entry - exit - dates etc. I submitted all in November 2017 and they did not accept my spreadsheet. Went to get the "proper" report at the other place for Migration on the Malecon (Plaza de Los Heroes) and then returned to MIP in December and submitted that. Of course the official report is not as accurate as my spreadsheet as it depends on what was entered in the system at the airports. The clerk did not seem worried but did indeed keep both reports. I got to meet the Head Honcho with my husband and she did not seem as helpful as she was with Matilda. It seems to me she wanted to ensure that this was not a marriage only to get citizenship! and she wanted to know why, with so many Dominicans wanting to go to Canada - why did I want to come to the DR.  I had added my pension statement to the package although it was not requested. She was pleased to see this as she seemed to want to know my source of income.  She asked for a photo of the marriage - that was not in the additional requirements!  She said that they would review my files and they would look for the file from the previous interview (answers to the 50 questions) and if they did not find it I would have to redo the questions/answers. At that point my husband had to restrain me as I was about to jump over the desk.  They did find the file. I was given a date of 25 January and told to be dressed decently. Sleeves and closed shoes. I was thinking of Michelle Obama with sleeveless dresses. But no, i need to be decent and wear sleeves. Oh boy.

So Thursday 2 days ago we trotted down to MIP for the swearing in and looked for the room on the main floor beside the bank as we were told. There was nobody there. Ran up 1 floor to the main office and they said the ceremony was moved to 14th floor. Ran up there and waited. and waited. Finally got done. Followed Matilda's instructions which were quite clear. The Main Junta is at the Plaza de Las Banderas, about 20-30 mins away. Got there at around 11:00 and got out around 12:30, paying for VIP. Small discrepancy here... the first payment at the junta is 1,500 pesos then the VIP is 2,000 pesos. The instructions form that comes from the swearing ceremony says the VIP is 3,500 pesos and so does Matilda. Well, I guess the total I paid is 3,500. Either way although I was guaranteed my papers would be ready in 24 hours - guess what. I stayed an extra day in SD and trotted down exactly 24 hrs after I had paid the VIP and it was not ready. I finally got out of that office around 4pm. Now lets see how I do next week in Puerto Plata with getting the birth certificate and the new cedula.

In terms of keeping semi sane: I had help with the temporary residency as it was my first one. I did the citizenship myself with the help of dr1 and Lindsay. It pays to follow exactly the rules and even give them a bit more than they ask. Keep calm (right), smile and bring something to read! Everything takes at least twice the time you think it will take. I took advantage of the trips to SD to meet people and to visit the sites. Fabulous art galleries by the way. Confortable surroundings help a lot for relaxing and keeping sane. Good time to treat yourself. I stayed at Casa Sanchez 2 nights last week, and it made a big difference. The people there are helpful and it has a good family feel. A good night sleep is necessary for putting up with all the frustrations.  

So I am now Dominican and it feels anti-climactic! Maybe will feel better next week when I get reborn and get my new birth certificate. I think I will celebrate on the anniversary because I dont have to renew residency!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Congratulations.

With the moving set of requirements, the need for police reports that never come and apostatized birth certificates, because I am originally from NY State and lived in two more states before moving to the DR makes the job far more difficult.

I was all set to do it until I found out what it would really take to get just a few simple documents. I would have to spend the better part of a week in New York just getting the birth certificate. Then the police report is a who knows. Would I need to go to California where I lived just before here? Or all three states that I lived in?

All this means I will probably just renew my residency.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Congratulations.

With the moving set of requirements, the need for police reports that never come and apostatized birth certificates, because I am originally from NY State and lived in two more states before moving to the DR makes the job far more difficult.

I was all set to do it until I found out what it would really take to get just a few simple documents. I would have to spend the better part of a week in New York just getting the birth certificate. Then the police report is a who knows. Would I need to go to California where I lived just before here? Or all three states that I lived in?

All this means I will probably just renew my residency.
Wouldn't an FBI report cover all the states?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A report from "the national police force" is what is needed. So for Americans, it's the FBI the DR wishes to see on the letterhead.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Félicitations. MIP is the worst. They enjoy making our life difficult.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
MIP is the worst. They enjoy making our life difficult.

It's as if they have a daily quota of how many foreigners they need to stymie. Lots of people get caught up in the "waiting to hear back from Interpol" scam that spans every process offered by that Ministry, not just citizenship.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wouldn't an FBI report cover all the states?

I suspect that is the case that an FBI report is needed. That requires someone "certified" in the US to take an imprint of your fingerprints. The US Embassy here does not do this. Which technically means a trip to the US to get that done on the proper finger print card. I know people say they have done it themselves and gotten away with it. I am guessing that FBI needs to be apostatized and translated as well. I did not get that far when I found out how ridiculous even getting my birth certificate was going to be.

And maybe that could even be done when I go from office to office in NY state getting an apostatized birth certificate, which I have to do in person, myself....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I heard last week that there has been a new change - yet again !!

In the citizenship application your residency must now be current - up to date.
Used to be it needed to be on application - now needs to be current all thru the process, it seems.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FBI "Identity History Summary" aka Rap Sheet /Criminal History

According to this for an FBI report, you don't need a certified finger print technician, you could take the prints yourself if you know how to do it properly.

Current processing time is 14-16 weeks. Allow additional time for mail delivery.
For a fee, the FBI can provide individuals with an Identity History Summary—often referred to as a criminal history record or a “rap sheet”—listing certain information taken from fingerprint submissions kept by the FBI and related to arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service.

If the fingerprint submissions are related to an arrest, the Identity History Summary includes the name of the agency that submitted the fingerprints to the FBI, the date of the arrest, the arrest charge, and the disposition of the arrest, if known. All arrest information included in an Identity History Summary is obtained from fingerprint submissions, disposition reports, and other information submitted by authorized criminal justice agencies.

The U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73, also known as Departmental Order, establishes rules and regulations for you to obtain a copy of your Identity History Summary for review or proof that one does not exist.

Only you may request a copy of your own Identity History Summary (or proof that one does not exist). You would typically make this request for personal review, to challenge information on record, to meet a requirement for adopting a child, or to meet a requirement to live, work, or travel in a foreign country.

Coming Soon:
Electronic Departmental Order (eDO)

The FBI will be implementing a new option to electronically submit requests and receive responses for Identity History Summary Checks and Identity History Summary Challenges on Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. The new eDO option will allow for faster processing of requests.

How to Submit a Request
The FBI offers two methods for requesting your Identity History Summary or proof that one does not exist.

Option 1: Submit Your Request Directly to the FBI

Step 1: Complete the Applicant Information Form.

If the request is for a couple, family, etc., each person must complete and sign a form.
Include a complete mailing address. Please provide your telephone number and e-mail address, if available.
Your results will be provided on standard white paper and returned to you by First-Class Mail via the U.S. Postal Service.
Self-addressed envelopes will not be accepted. This includes pre-paid Priority Mail, FedEx account numbers, United Parcel Service, etc., foreign postage coupons, and requests to forward correspondence to the Department of State for the apostille process.
Step 2: Obtain a Set of Your Fingerprints

Your fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes. The FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.
You must provide a current fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card.
You must include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken at the same time (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable.
To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the Recording Legible Fingerprints page. If fingerprints are not legible, the fingerprint card will be rejected. This could cause delays in processing and could also result in additional fees.
The name on your response letter will match the name indicated on the fingerprint card.
If the last four digits of your social security number are needed on your response letter, then please ensure your full nine-digit Social Security number is on the fingerprint card when submitting your request.
Step 3: Submit Payment

Option 1: Pay by credit card using the Credit Card Payment Form. Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
Option 2: Obtain a money order or certified check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Please be sure you sign where required.
Important note: Cash, personal checks, or business checks WILL NOT be accepted and sending any of these will delay processing of your request.
Payment must be for the exact amount.
If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
The FBI will provide one sealed response for each request received. You may make as many copies as needed upon receipt of your response. Note: If you need additional sealed responses mailed to the same address or separate address, you must submit an additional request with another payment of $18 for each sealed response requested. Also, if you need additional copies of your response that do not need to be in a sealed envelope, you may make as many copies as needed upon receipt of your response.
The FBI will not accept additional payment to expedite your request.
Step 4: Review

Review the Identity History Summary Request Checklist to ensure that you have included everything needed to process your request.
Step 5: Mail the Required Items Listed Above

Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars per person—to the following address:

FBI CJIS Division – Summary Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

What Happens Next

If we find no Identity History Summary on file, you will receive a response indicating that you have no prior arrest data on file at the FBI. If you do have an Identity History Summary on file, you will receive your Identity History Summary or “rap sheet.”

Option 2: Submit Your Request to an FBI-Approved Channeler

An FBI-approved Channeler is a private business that has contracted with the FBI to submit your request on your behalf. FBI-approved Channelers receive the fingerprint submission and relevant data, collect the associated fee(s), electronically forward the fingerprint submission with the necessary information to the FBI for a national Identity History Summary check, and receive the electronic summary check result for dissemination to the individual. An FBI-approved Channeler simply helps expedite the delivery of Identity History Summary information on behalf of the FBI.

The process for making a request through an FBI-approved Channeler is consistent with FBI submission procedures. Please note that an FBI-approved Channeler may have different methods or processes for submissions. Also, additional fees may apply above the FBI fee for requests submitted through an FBI-approved Channeler. Contact each Channeler for costs, processing times, and availability in your area.

An individual requesting an Identity History Summary or proof that a summary does not exist through FBI-approved Channelers should contact the Channeler directly for complete information and instructions.

List of FBI-Approved Channelers for Departmental Order Submissions
Note: Please review the information below regarding the use of FBI-approved Channelers:

An FBI-approved Channeler may only process requests for a U.S. person (an individual who is a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.). A lawful permanent resident is any person not a citizen of the U.S. who is residing in the U.S. under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence as an immigrant (also known “Permanent Resident Alien,” “Resident Alien Permit Holder,” and “Green Card Holder”).
An FBI-approved Channeler cannot process a request for employment and/or licensing purposes within the United States. This type of request should be coordinated with the appropriate State Identification Bureau (or state police) for the correct procedures.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I heard last week that there has been a new change - yet again !!

In the citizenship application your residency must now be current - up to date.
Used to be it needed to be on application - now needs to be current all thru the process, it seems.

Wonderful. Since I have to renew residency again this year, that sounds like all I will be doing.

Note that for the FBI background history report, a certified check or money order is required for payment. How archaic just that is. Where do I get a US check certified or a money order in the DR? Later on in their responses, it seems that a credit card can work for payment.

But then there is this additional complication for the apostille. Also note that that FBI report is sent only via standard US mail, so you have to have a way go guarantee you can receive that mail. Then for the apostille:

Note: The FBI seal is no longer a raised seal. Documents authenticated by the FBI may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wonderful. Since I have to renew residency again this year, that sounds like all I will be doing.

Note that for the FBI background history report, a certified check or money order is required for payment. How archaic just that is. Where do I get a US check certified or a money order in the DR?

Western Union used to sell money orders, I wonder if they do it there?

I’d get a certified bank check for you if you want me to.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy -
I'm looking at the 10 yr option vs citizenship....

might be the better choice

I can easily see a document I need getting lost and others "expiring" because of the way the DR deals with such paperwork and having to restart the process for citizenship. It takes 14 to 16 weeks just to get the FBI report and then it needs to be sent to the Department of State to be apostatized with no idea how long that takes.

I have been a resident since 2003, so I will definitely get "permanent" residency renewal for as long as is possible.