Clintons, Kissinger and Michael Douglas in DR for New Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I thought Micheal Douglas was a celebrity not a politician....I'm not familiar with the other two ( names ? ) .....:cool:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry Tambo. This is a Dark farce.

Force not farce!

giphy.gif

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
DR Solar their visit does affect the Dominican Republic. It brings a certain "celebrity type" attention to the country. Whether you like them or not it brings attention to the country. Believe it or not there are those out there that will give thought to visiting the DR because well the Clintons, etc...like it so maybe we should try it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DR Solar their visit does affect the Dominican Republic. It brings a certain "celebrity type" attention to the country. Whether you like them or not it brings attention to the country. Believe it or not there are those out there that will give thought to visiting the DR because well the Clintons, etc...like it so maybe we should try it.

exactly. when you are dealing with people like the rank and file American, celebrity status is everything. so, if people hear that someone like Beyonce went to St Maarten for New Year?s Eve, you can rest assured that next year a large percentage of the contingent that is undecided as to what to do on New Year?s Eve will be headed there, too. it is the same for the Clintons and Kissinger, who are quintessential celebrities.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
The point was NOT to make this about American politics and within a few posts it has become just that. Individual political views about America.

This is the Dominican Republic. Perhaps the conversation should shift to those that visit the D.R. effect the D.R.

Seriously.. I do not see any individual political views about America being brought up in this thread. Focus on your new year celebration instead. Happy new year!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
exactly. when you are dealing with people like the rank and file American, celebrity status is everything. so, if people hear that someone like Beyonce went to St Maarten for New Year?s Eve, you can rest assured that next year a large percentage of the contingent that is undecided as to what to do on New Year?s Eve will be headed there, too. it is the same for the Clintons and Kissinger, who are quintessential celebrities.

Your comment is complete BS. Americans go where it is cheap. Don't EVEN start.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Even with this "Warning in advance not to comment about US politics in this thread". Some have in full force ignored and posted political comments with their very personal political views.

I request that those be deleted. Thank you.

Detesting Hillary Clinton (or Bill Clinton or Henry Kissinger) is personal. They are all just a "persons" at this time. Hillary might actually be a witch, but that could be fake news. Michael Douglas is the grandson of a "rag man" from my home town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Clintons have been regular DR visitors for years..... many years.

Michael Douglas has his mother's hotel in Bermuda.....Ariel Sands

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Your comment is complete BS. Americans go where it is cheap. Don't EVEN start.

So that's why St.Barts is full of Americans during new years with their fancy villas and huge yachts.. Oh wait a minute.. I forgot why I bypass St. Bart's. it's way too expensive for us to sail into. Come on Mems. The statement that Americans only go where it's cheap is silly. BTW, Happy New Year to you "Mi Lady"! Look forward to reading more of your "words thread" in 2017.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The Clintons have been regular DR visitors for years..... many years.

Michael Douglas has his mother's hotel in Bermuda.....Ariel Sands
WW ... very true, common knowledge in the US the Clintons have been guests for years..........they can partake in the local activities, without the USA press spoiling their fun...........Doc.............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So that's why St.Barts is full of Americans during new years with their fancy villas and huge yachts.. Oh wait a minute.. I forgot why I bypass St. Bart's. it's way too expensive for us to sail into. Come on Mems. The statement that Americans only go where it's cheap is silly. BTW, Happy New Year to you "Mi Lady"! Look forward to reading more of your "words thread" in 2017.
Of course

there will always be locations where the 1%'ers go. St. Barts sounds like one of those places. Case in point is also the destination in the original post. The vast majority of Americans cannot afford to go where the 1 or 2 percent-ers go, regardless of the country in which those fabulous resorts exist. Former servants of the public somehow find the ways and means to hit these places with frequency.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Michael Douglas is the grandson of a "rag man" from my home town.

That's exactly who I thought it was. You had mentioned a father/son celebs previously.

Oh yeah, on topic...I hope the clintons have a wonderful time.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Of course

there will always be locations where the 1%'ers go. St. Barts sounds like one of those places. Case in point is also the destination in the original post. The vast majority of Americans cannot afford to go where the 1 or 2 percent-ers go, regardless of the country in which those fabulous resorts exist. Former servants of the public somehow find the ways and means to hit these places with frequency.

the vast preponderance of Americans cannot afford to go anywhere on New Years. that is why the dropping ball in Times Square is such a big draw, because it is free. however, while those people are enjoying some freebie entertainment, guys are sliding into Monte Carlo in 300 foot yachts.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
People come and go. Some rich and some moderately well to do. Millions of people travel here. Have a good time everyone.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Clintons are regular guests of the Rainieris in Punta Cana. We can usually tell when they or other high-profile visitors are here because security gets noticeably tighter.
Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones were spotted by several people having lunch and on the beach in Playa Blanca last weekend. It was not their first visit, my sister and family saw them at the old Punta Cana Hotel when they were here several years ago.
I hadn't hear about Kissinger, but if we're talking celebrity spotting I did see his wife poolside at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem in the mid-seventies :) Liz Taylor and Richard Burton too.

Jan 7, 2016
Henry Kissinger is probably too feeble to get down to the pool these days...the man was an old guy during the Regan Administration. Most resorts don't allow Hover Rounds at the pool these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.