CNN Airs About Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"whataboutery" LMAO, that is a description I haven't heard before but it is spot on.

A common deflection technique most commonly used by progressives as well. I know few people that will accept criticism of their country or nationality without resorting " whataboutery" It's a natural defensive mechanism heighted by Dominican culture norms but certainly not a Dominican phenomenon.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
How, for example, does whateaboutery apply to how Americans respond to criticism about the exceptionally high incidence of obesity? To follow your reasoning, some other country's waistline would be referenced as an excuse or explanation. A short visit to a theme park or Las Vegas would, in my opinion, make it difficult to deny certain facts. I'm not sure what the reference to "progressives" was about. Are you about to deny global warming?

A common deflection technique most commonly used by progressives as well. I know few people that will accept criticism of their country or nationality without resorting " whataboutery" It's a natural defensive mechanism heighted by Dominican culture norms but certainly not a Dominican phenomenon.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How, for example, does whateaboutery apply to how Americans respond to criticism about the exceptionally high incidence of obesity? To follow your reasoning, some other country's waistline would be referenced as an excuse or explanation. A short visit to a theme park or Las Vegas would, in my opinion, make it difficult to deny certain facts. I'm not sure what the reference to "progressives" was about. Are you about to deny global warming?

I 'm not American and haven't asked them how their super-sized meals and pops has helped to cause an obesity problem. I'm aware that there are fat people everywhere. Like any theory like what I've said about whateaboutry has exception but I noticed you implied I was talking about Americans, a false assumptions. Must be a defensive mechanism from you, assuming that you are American.
Progressives like to refer to " whatabout Bush...etc. It's a favorite of the GD's of he world.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I 'm not American and haven't asked them how their super-sized meals and pops has helped to cause an obesity problem. I'm aware that there are fat people everywhere. Like any theory like what I've said about whateaboutry has exception but I noticed you implied I was talking about Americans, a false assumptions. Must be a defensive mechanism from you, assuming that you are American.
Progressives like to refer to " whatabout Bush...etc. It's a favorite of the GD's of he world.

Not a single word about either the Dominican Republic or CNN, let alone a CNN piece on the Dominican Republic.

Nice work, Bob.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You've said it exactly, it's about nationalism.

I have other experience with Dominicans that I know very well. Yes nationalism is a part of it, but color is also.

Take a look at any "high society" magazine published in the DR and you can count the number of darker skinned people on zero or one finger..

Mar 1, 2009
I have other experience with Dominicans that I know very well. Yes nationalism is a part of it, but color is also.

Take a look at any "high society" magazine published in the DR and you can count the number of darker skinned people on zero or one finger..

What do you mean?
What are you trying to say?

LC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i have posted the same thing many times before. for those who missed it, go buy the Sunday Listin Diario, and check out the magazine. i think it is called Sociales. come back and tell us what you see.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Or check out the political poster thingys.
Then check out the candidate in real life.
The poster is always a shade or 2 or 3, lighter than real life.
Must be nationalism at work ;)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I never suggested you were talking about Americans or what your nationality might be. It was a random example I chose to use because it's generally familiar (as compared to Tibetans for example).

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

A number of years back I was having constant problems with my Claro internet and found myself in their main office in Mega Centro and later the one on Kennedy. I got to know the whole staff and pointed out that you couldn't find a dark skinned person in any (maybe one hot chick) of their colateral materials. Then I told them to look around at both their employees and clients waiting in line. It was very eye opening for them. I also notice that when Miguel Vargas was running for president his billboard pictures were about 4 shades lighter than when I saw him on T.V

Just one of those things that makes you go Hmmmmmmmm. (flash back to Arsenio Hall)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well folks, we've managed to sidetrack another thread by going off topic and bringing race into it. Those who did so surely know better.

This thread is now closed, and offenders will find an infraction in their mailbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.