Coffee lovers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sadly, you are taking the flavor out of the coffee.
"Olivo" is not vacuum packed as far as I know.
The freezer is like a desert inside, so it dries out anything stored there.
"Freezer Burn" is the outcome.
DRINK IT NOW!
Get some more just before you leave.
At Super Mercado National in Arroyo Hondo, they have a "TON", of "Monte Real", "Monte Alto", and many other "High End" brands.
Until proven otherwise, I'm an "Olivo Man"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Coffee in a sealed bag doesn't hardly degrade, even if frozen (freezer burn not withstanding; it won't "burn" if there is no moisture to freeze.)

So the shelf life of coffee in a sealed bag is very long.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Love "HOOTERS"!
My "SEALED" do you mean "Vacuum Sealed", or just "Stuck Closed"???
It's a "Mute Point" with me.
I drink 10 lbs. of "OLIVO" in less that two months anyway.
Sometimes I just "Sniff The Bag"!
I'm down to my last "POUND"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Taino Coffee

May 29, 2013
[Sorry, you need to take out an ad if you want to promote your coffee and website on DR1. Contact either Robert or Dolores for more info]

Last edited by a moderator:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So Monte Alto available in Santiago? My wife desperately need better coffee and Santo Domingo brand isn't cutting it for us right now.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you are in Santiago why dont you drive to Jarabacoa and buy it at Ramirez?
Great Idea!
I was thinking about going to SD this long weekend we are about to have. We are working today so we can have long weekend :). I wonder if my driver can find the place....

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Great Idea!
I was thinking about going to SD this long weekend we are about to have. We are working today so we can have long weekend :). I wonder if my driver can find the place....

Its hard too miss it.. Just drive into town (pass Caribe bus station) go straight into mainstreet.. in the end you will go down the hill and you can go either left or right. Go right, across the river and its like 200 meters on your left side.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier !

Sorry to say it but you all are missing out on the best coffee in the country...Cafe Melo, it is organic and grown in the SW. I understand it is available at some select sites in SD. If you need another opinion ask Hillbilly...he is smuggling in his personal stash from Barahona via Caribe Tours.

kfrancisco de Cabral

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I went to Jarabaco and visited a coffee company there where they were sorting the beans-- was that Monte Alta? Do not remember...

There is one of those two- either Real or Alta that seems to have a hint of cocoa in it.

We also have deli nearby - Villar Hermanos which packs its own coffee which I sometimes buy but while I adore it when they make it in their Italian cappucino machine, it seems too strong for my French press.

There is a very famous old Cafeteria on El Conde here in SD where they sell their own blend of coffee in a brown paper bag. A house guest brought some home for me. I swear I drank the whole pound in a weekend. It was like no other coffee ever. I could not stop drinking it!

May 29, 2006
Here in Miami, 2 10 oz. vacuum bricks of Cafe Llave, Bustelo or Pilon, are often on sale for $5.00. All are good espresso in my opinion. I use a French press.

Ecuador has great coffee, but the local restaurants serve only hot water (not all that hot at 12,000 ft. altitude) and as bottle of Nescaf? Instantaneo (Noescaf?).

Ugh.

In the States, I get both Bustelo and PILON. For the price, they are both very good coffees. I use a Moka pot. When I try a $2 cup of coffee on the go, it's astonishing how bad it is, even when it's suppose to be made from *gourmet* beans. I think a big part of it is they use city tap water, which is heavily chlorinated.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I happen to like several of the "Starbuck's" blends.
And ALL of their "Frapuchino" style frozen coffees.
I know it's "PC" to bad mouth all "Fast Food" franchises,"Big Box" stores,and any "Chain" establishments,but they do provide many consistently good products, at low prices.
"Mom & Pop" have "Left The Building"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
I wish I did like Starbucks. I like the venue- the comfy chairs and the free Wifi. But the straight up coffee is too acidic and too weak. There is a coffee place a block away from one of the Starbucks here that does close to ten times their business because they have better coffee and locally made baked goods.. I see up to 400 people in there at any time during the school year.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"400 People", It must be Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge"!!!!!!
That's why I said "Some Blends"!
It is way too expensive, but when I am on "Mem Drive" in Cambridge Massachusetts it's about the only choice, and a great place to wait for my "The Ride" service to pick me up.
It's also between Harvard & MIT, so there is a very small chance I can pick up a "JAP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I happen to like several of the "Starbuck's" blends.
And ALL of their "Frapuchino" style frozen coffees.
I know it's "PC" to bad mouth all "Fast Food" franchises,"Big Box" stores,and any "Chain" establishments,but they do provide many consistently good products, at low prices.
"Mom & Pop" have "Left The Building"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Starbuck is anything but low price. I always feel stupid walking out of with a $5 mediocre grande skim latte (much better than the pee they call cafe in deli though, but nothing to write home about). I like their pastries so it s one more reason to stay away :nervous:

I bought their cafe molido not too long ago for my italian coffee maker. I wrote a letter of apologies to the Italian people afterwards :)

May 29, 2006
"400 People", It must be Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge"!!!!!!

It's big but not huge. Maybe 800 sq ft on the inside public area and outdoor seating for about 100. The service line has more than 15 people working it during peak hours. It's next to a bridge to Cornell so about 2000-3000 students walk by on their way to classes every morning and many get their lunch to go there. Their main product is bagels, but they also have four display cases of pastries, ice cream, beer, a deli, soups and pre-made meals. About 60 tables altogether and a counter for people eating on stools. This is the outside on St Patty's Day.

CTB%20dining%20unedited%20by%20Lauren%20Bigelow%20File.preview.jpg