Cofresi attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
1) Learn the language
In process. Harder at my age than as a yout'. But it'll get done MOL.

Rocky said:
2) Learn to understand the Dominican culture, and be patient.
In process; fiance is a big help there, as are experienced DR1ers

Rocky said:
3) Avoid altercations as much as possible..
No prob, short of being seen as an easy sucker. "Altercations" with a smile:)

Rocky said:
4) Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking..
Hard to disguise if you live in a nice place, but I understand. No need for fancy electronics, jewelery, etc..

Rocky said:
5) Secure your home premises.
Beyond bars and good locks, what do you suggest? Alarm system? Security service? "Gu?rdese de Gato del Ataque del Asesino" signs?

Rocky said:
6) Have tools with which to defend yourself.
Such as...?

Rocky said:
7) Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time..
Check.

Rocky said:
8) Live in an area that is more secure than less..
Gated enclave? Or are you simply suggesting not in a lower class barrio?

Rocky said:
9) Make friends with your neighbours, and look out for each other.
No prob. And don't trust anyone fully, right?

Rocky said:
10) Excercise common sense.
jajajajaja. That could be tough...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
1) Learn the language
3) Avoid altercations as much as possible.
4) Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking.
6) Have tools with which to defend yourself
7) Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time.
8) Live in an area that is more secure than less.

Rocky,
That's probably as clear,concise, and complete a list of home/personal safety tips as possible. Should be printed and taped to everyone's bathroom mirror so they remember the rules before heading out every day.

Excellent.

Anyone that doesn't inately understand the concept behind each item on your list isn't ready to move to DR, or any other foreign country. They're just looking for trouble, even if they're too naive to know it.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thieves do not like noise which allerts people in the vicinity and could cause them problems. Screaming is good, but most people just "freeze." My wife & I each always carry a "personal alarm" which gives off a 130 decibel scream (extremely loud!) when the cord is pulled. This scream persists until the 9v battery runs down (+-1/2hr) or until the shutoff probe is reinserted. These things are very small and easy to pocket. Physical confrontation of an attacker should be an absolutely last resort. Far better to scare him off....
I still have a number of these alarms and gift them to my friends.
If you are interested, PM me please. I am also prepared to visit houses on the north coast and suggest simple ways to upgrade security, based on my personal experience. If I can prevent only one robbery/attack, I'll be happy.
Canadian Bob.
From Canadian Bob.
Great idea. Something I do here in the states is always keep my car keys within reach. A quick push of the "panic button" on the door lock transmitter makes the car alarm go off. The more noise, the better...bad guys throughout the world fear two things: noise and light.

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
Hello again,

I will try to answer all of the questions.

This happened three nights ago today.
Last night, I arrived back in the States as I was too afraid to remain. The days after the attack I was with family in the Dominican Republic and making arrangements to leave.

I am half Dominican and half American. I have dark skin but not as dark as most Dominicans but still don't stick out.

A police report was filed. They were able to track the blood to a bus stop where he waited until seven in the morning. There was a large pool of blood where he waited. The police have spoken to the bus driver who gave him a ride. He explained to the driver that he had no money and that he was a moto concho and somebody had attacked him and robbed him. He was then let off in Maimon. The driver was able to identify him as he looked very curious being so hurt.

The police say that there are two clinics in that direct area that do not have police prescence. They put an alert to the clinics to call immediately if a man with the wounds I described showed up.

The way he entered the home: There is a hill behind me. He jumped down on top of the little structure that holds our generator and down into the back yard. He had two screwdrivers with him which were found not far away. He then pried the slats to the kitchen/dining room window slowly and quietly from the window. He placed them neatly in a pile outside next to him. He then slit the screen and snuck in. The knife he used was a chef's knife from my kitchen.

He escaped through the back kitchen door. I assume my guard was downstairs trying to get in when the man ran out. I do not blame my guard for being unable to do anything. I have known him for five years now and know him to be trustworthy.

There is a little light that enters the room that I was in because there is a streetlight maybe fifteen yards from the home. His arm was stretched outwards and I was able to quite clearly see the knife even though I was half asleep.

I am in contact with other home owners in the area who are helping with the case. We a part of a Junta and are in the process of trying to make the area more secure.

I think that is it.

C

Chip00

Kirkland

Glad to hear you're alright. I would highly recommend putting in bars on all of your windows and doors. The good herreros put a key lock in the doors as opposed to padlock so it's really not a pain at all to get in or out. I would also recommend using 5/8" steel. This should prevent all but the most hardened criminals from entering and if they still try the noise or your guard should alert you in time. If you want more info/prices for what I did to my home, pm me.

Chip

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Golden Rules

Learn the language
That's good.
So one could chat with one's attacker....

That's good.
Simply wait and take your turn to be a victim.

Avoid altercations as much as possible.
Correct, always turn the other cheek.

Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking.
That's sly.
Camouflage your apartment or house with 'pencas' making it look like a 'rancho', dress shabbily in rags.

Secure your home premises.
That's good.
Better not leave it then.

Have tools with which to defend yourself
That's good.
Mind the quality, should be superior to the attackers'.

Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time.
That's good.
Don't forget to add advice after each new incident.

Live in an area that is more secure than less.
That's good.
If your neighbourhood becomes infested with drug lords sell and move.

Make friends with your neighbours, and look out for each other.
That's good.
They might be members of the gang, but if you can't beat them, join them...

Excercise common sense.
That's good.
Just like your attackers....

m'frog

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Anyone that doesn't inately understand the concept behind each item on your list isn't ready to move to DR, or any other foreign country. They're just looking for trouble, even if they're too naive to know it.

Agreed. Just to elaborate on Rocky's 3) and 4). If you do have an altercation (words, not the gun pulling Snuffy described) try to end the conversation on a handshake. Apologise for misunderstandings and don't go all out to make the Dominican lose face. Better that you loose a few points in the argument than your life later. Sometimes people who have taken offence and have then witnessed your ability to apologise or be humble become your staunchest protectors.

4) Keeping up the illusion that you are struggling financially isn't just about not wearing flash jewellery etc and other ostentatious displays of wealth. People do understand if you tell them that you sank your last cent in your nice house and now have difficulty managing day to day. You reinforce this when you go shopping by checking the price of everything, refusing the expensive imported cheese in favour of the cheaper local cheese etc etc. It's a mindset and there are hundreds of different ways of displaying it. Don't be seen in the same expensive restaurant every night, for two reasons - your movements may be being clocked and you don't want to appear predictable and secondly it will look like you are spending money without a care in the world. Check the bill when it comes, don't just pay it. Drive a functional but non-flashy vehicle.

And thanks, kirkland, for answering all the questions.

Mountainfrog, I think you're hilarious but you might be putting the wind up newbies..........lol

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Africa = Caribbean

...your movements may be being clocked...
That's certain.
Live like a poor soul and then ask the attacker 'Why me?'

Just like the crocodile ferrying the scorpion to the other side of the river.
When stung in the middle of the river the croc asked the same question, just to be told: 'Don't know, but this is Africa...'

m'frog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Rocky
1) Learn the language
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
In process. Harder at my age than as a yout'. But it'll get done MOL.
It's important.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Rocky
In process; fiance is a big help there, as are experienced DR1ers

Quote:
3) Avoid altercations as much as possible..
No prob, short of being seen as an easy sucker. "Altercations" with a smile:)

Quote:
4) Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking..
Hard to disguise if you live in a nice place, but I understand. No need for fancy electronics, jewelery, etc..

Quote:
Beyond bars and good locks, what do you suggest? Alarm system? Security service? "Gu?rdese de Gato del Ataque del Asesino" signs?
It's all relevant to where you live, etc. Look at all the options and decide which ones you need.

Quote:
6) Have tools with which to defend yourself.
Such as...?
Whatever you see fit. Baseball bad, knives, tire irons, guns, etc.

Quote:
7) Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time..
Check.

Quote:
8) Live in an area that is more secure than less..
Gated enclave? Or are you simply suggesting not in a lower class barrio?
Nothing like that. If you know an area is very prone, avoid it.

Quote:
No prob. And don't trust anyone fully, right?
I think it is essential to establish who you can trust fully. There may not be many, but one or two is all you need.

Quote:
jajajajaja. That could be tough...
You're telling me.....

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
kirkland1222, Thanks for the explanation of how the attacker got in by removing the jalousies, then slitting the flyscreen. I have posted this trick before, but here it is again... Use epoxy glue to glue the jalousie glass slats into each metal slot that holds the glass. It does not take much glue. This makes it impossible to remove them without breaking them, which makes enough noise that should wake the watchman. Put a set of iron bars INSIDE each window. They won't rust & can't be jacked out. Even very small windows should be protected as ladrones sometimes use small children to gain access. Canadian Bob.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
kirkland1222, Thanks for the explanation of how the attacker got in by removing the jalousies, then slitting the flyscreen. I have posted this trick before, but here it is again... Use epoxy glue to glue the jalousie glass slats into each metal slot that holds the glass. It does not take much glue. This makes it impossible to remove them without breaking them, which makes enough noise that should wake the watchman. Put a set of iron bars INSIDE each window. They won't rust & can't be jacked out. Even very small windows should be protected as ladrones sometimes use small children to gain access. Canadian Bob.
Excelent suggestion.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
1) Learn the language
3) Avoid altercations as much as possible.
4) Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking.
6) Have tools with which to defend yourself
7) Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time.
8) Live in an area that is more secure than less.

To all those newbie's out there: Listen to Rocky and take heart. I have taken every one of his posts and built them in to my existence here. And I really believe that because of his suggestions I'm much more prepared than the average Gringo.

Sorry to kiss ass Rocky but thanks for all of your excellent advise and I look forward to learning much more as time goes on.

Jack

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not being a mind reader, I thought it was a good idea for Rocky to go into more detail.

Not sure it has anything to do with naivety. Just trying to draw more info out of experienced folk.

You make the DR sound like Zaire or something. I doubt the entire DR is like a bad SDQ barrio, just like the entire US is not like inner city Detroit. You gotta be careful everywhere you go.

I pay attention to the voice of experience. :ninja:

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
My home town

I moved here 4 months ago from Phoenix Arizona and I thought it would be interesting to look ONLY at violent crimes that occurred with in the past 3 months in Phoenix. This list doesn't include petty theft or other crimes against the population. Also, this is ONLY Phoenix proper with around 2 million people.

I think I'll stay here in the DR. Yes, I know that most crimes are not reported here, but my money's on Phoenix being scarier than the DR and day.

I tried to publish the entire list however I got this message from DR1

'The text that you have entered is too long (139965 characters). Please shorten it to 15000 characters long' so only a fraction of the crimes are listed.

Oh, and this doesn't include the 2 guys that went around this year shooting randomly at people killing 7 and wounding 17.....

==========================================================

aggravated assault 10/21/06
simple assault 10/21/06

Moderator's comment .... And then he goes on to list about 120 more. I stopped counting when I got to 50 and estimated the rest .... just imagine you're seeing 120 more crimes like the 4 examples above, listed here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You make the DR sound like Zaire or something. I doubt the entire DR is like a bad SDQ barrio, just like the entire US is not like inner city Detroit. You gotta be careful everywhere you go.
:ninja:
Your words illustrate one of my biggest inner conflicts.
I love the DR with a passion.
It's custom made for me.
I feel as safe here as anywhere I have lived, yet, how could I live with myself, if I did not warn tourists or newbies of potential dangers.
The DR is so easy going, that it is easy to be lulled into a false sense of security, as I found out for myself.
So I log on to DR1, day after day, wanting to scream at people who claim the DR is like a warzone, yet, I'm obligated to tone it down, so as to not induce anyone into becoming a crime victim.
How can anyone tell another about all the dangers, and then tell them it's relatively safe?
We come here with greater education, see how friendly folks are, and just go into some type of brain meltdown.

B

batich

Does my advice still look like a humorous joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batich
To a fresh ex-pat who came to DR just a month ago I gave the following advice:

1. Live in gated ex-pat community only. You`ll see the same faces that you were trying to get rid of when you left for DR, but at least anyone who walks around and who looks differently will be very visiable.

2. Keep VERY low profile so that local people do not know about your existence. If doing any business - only with US or Europe via Internet, not with local community.

3.Do not open a local bank account as your personal financial info will leack right away to wrong people.
Same applies to local lawyers (on exception of Mr.Guzman of course!!)

4. If possible, live without a car as being a gringo and driving a car in DR - means looking for trouble. Sooner or later. With your fault or without. Or at most - a very cheap one, to look very poor.

5. Keep close relations with two-three persons only, whom and whose background you know well. Especially be extra carefull about people who speak English. Most of them have lots of brilliant business ideas but no money in the wallet.

6. No matter what people offer you to buy and at what price - say " It is great, but I have no money".

7. Ideally, rent for two-three years. Think of buying ANYTHING only after that.

Better to be extra careful than dead.

Batich you probably are a nice person who wants to help others, but you sure have a sense of humor.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
...is good.

It shows that...
- there is a police you can turn to
- that they can write reports
- they may even come to the scene of the crime
- they simply do their job

m'frog
What are you saying, Froggy?
Do you honestly feel that the DR is a lot more dangerous than where you come from?
This is not a redundant question, nor sarcasm.
Simply would like to know your opinion.
Marco.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Yes m'frog you are correct, however let me add a couple of things to your list. I'm just showing the amount of crime. I doubt even if every crime was reported in the DR it would amount to the number there.

...is good.

It shows that...
- there is a police you can turn to
If you are rich and live in a nice area and speak English.

- that they can write reports
Which are good for?

- they may even come to the scene of the crime
Eventually, or they may just call and take a statement

- they simply do their job
Yes, but barely as they are paid a fraction of what the median white collar worker makes. The police are good when the crime is in progress, after that, forget it.

m'frog

Status
Not open for further replies.