Cofresi attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll be happy to moderate a "How to be Safe in the DR" sticky. Perhaps the powers that be can glean enough from that to write a new article about it.

Snuffy, you're just full of positive suggestions these days. Nice to see! This is why I love this board. One good one makes up for a thousand bad ones :cheeky:

Let's play it out here first, and then I'll construct a sticky from that (and fix my English!) and all can give their input on the sticky.

Here are some categories to start with --- feel free to contribute ...

Two main Categories that I can think of ...

1. Visiting the DR as a non-AI Tourist
and
2. How to be security conscious when you're buying a home in the DR - what to look for in your new environment and what to avoid

OK, the first one, some suggested topics.

Visiting the DR as a non-AI Tourist

1. Walking Around in Town - What to do, and not to Do!
2. Selection Criteria for establishments to visit where you will be safe
3. Basic Self-Defense when you're walking around and out playing tourist
4. What to do when you're confronted by local police of traffic police and you're not sure how to behave
5. What to do when you're in an unexpected altercation (sp?)

2nd Category
How to be security conscious when you're buying a home in the DR - what to look for in your new environment and what to avoid (disclaimer, this does not deal with financial or real-estate issues, but with safety in your physical area and safe layout of property)
1. Neighborhood
2. Gated community or not? Pros and Cons
3. Security suggested for your outside environment
4. Security suggested inside your home
5. What to do when you are the victim of a home invasion
6. Basic self-defense in your home

OK, that is my brain dump on this topic. Go for it, add, change and suggest ... Just don't fight about it OK :laugh: I'll delete the fight and with it, perhaps your brilliant suggestion.

A last comment, If the DR1 finds the content good enough to write an article about it for their database, I'll stress that all the contributors have to get a mention.
What a good use to put our time to! Snuffy for President!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
batich says....
Main advantages of DR over so called developed superpowers (all IMHO only!!!!) are:

1. PERSONAL FREEDOM

2. Eternal summer

3. Real passionate and loving women ( unlike cynic spoiled money-calculators/gold diggers without nothing feminine and no family values - a bit North from DR)

4. Absense of stress and rat race

5.For men - a chance to be men

These simple happies for me by far overweigh those negative characteristics like lack of decent health care, unchecked crime, lack of infrastructure and legal protection, overinflated RE and retail prices, crookish business owners/enterpreneurs,wide spread corruption among lawyers and public officials.

There is no ideal place on Earth, I personally can live with these flaws, I follow rules of the game, I make my life as simple as possible and stress-free and for me DR is the best place in the World.
Custom made for me, as one respected member of the Forum said earlier.

(And I love Spanish alot!)
"""

I have to agree with much of what you say here. But just know that much of what you see in the relationship between man and woman...it has a lot to do with the money you have. Trust me, the New World Order is here already and you can't stop it. These places on the fringe are like the last bastion of the Old World Order. Even large parts of Paraquay and the Patagonia are being bought up by the ultra rich. It is happening everywhere. Batich, glad you have found your paradise. Enjoy it while it last.

B

batich

batich says....
Main advantages of DR over so called developed superpowers (all IMHO only!!!!) are:

1. PERSONAL FREEDOM

2. Eternal summer

3. Real passionate and loving women ( unlike cynic spoiled money-calculators/gold diggers without nothing feminine and no family values - a bit North from DR)

4. Absense of stress and rat race

5.For men - a chance to be men

These simple happies for me by far overweigh those negative characteristics like lack of decent health care, unchecked crime, lack of infrastructure and legal protection, overinflated RE and retail prices, crookish business owners/enterpreneurs,wide spread corruption among lawyers and public officials.

There is no ideal place on Earth, I personally can live with these flaws, I follow rules of the game, I make my life as simple as possible and stress-free and for me DR is the best place in the World.
Custom made for me, as one respected member of the Forum said earlier.

(And I love Spanish alot!)
"""

I have to agree with much of what you say here. But just know that much of what you see in the relationship between man and woman...it has a lot to do with the money you have. Trust me, the New World Order is here already and you can't stop it. These places on the fringe are like the last bastion of the Old World Order. Even large parts of Paraquay and the Patagonia are being bought up by the ultra rich. It is happening everywhere. Batich, glad you have found your paradise. Enjoy it while it last.

It won`t last long. I know.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
Hello,

I have posted maybe once or twice on this board but read it often. I have a home in Cofresi and was going down to install a phone line and internet. On the third night of my trip at three thiry in the morning I heard shuffling on the stairs. I looked up to see a man with a large knife in the doorway. I screamed as loud as I could and he attacked.

The knife struck right above my eye on my eyebrow. He and I then fell to the ground. I was on my back and he was behind me, with the knife in his left hand. As we stuggled, I continued to scream and he shoved his hand down my mouth and throat. I bit down and he retracted his hand then put it back down my throat I assume to choke me or to pull my head back and slit my throat. I realized only then that if I didn't fight as hard as possible that I would be dead. I bit down once more and with my other hands I managed to pry the knife from his hand. I then swung it wildly behind me and slashed his forehead.

After this, he retracted his hand and I slashed his hand and down his wrist slitting his main artery. I then pushed my leg against our sliding glass door, twisted and plunged the knife into his thigh. He then managed to get up and flee. I was partly tangled in the drapes I had torn down but after he left the room, I ran, closed the door and locked it because I had fear that there was a second man in the house.

I then went outside and yelled to my guard from the balcony that there was a robber in the house that had tried to kill me. He could not, however, get into the house because a door to the garage that leads up the stairs which is never closed but was locked tonight blocked his entry. I had made duplicates of all my keys the day of the attack and was testing all of the keys and probably locked the door not thinking that anything like this would happen.

I then went to the hospital and was lucky to have only ten stitches put in on my eyebrow. I was also lucky to have woken up to see him before his attack. Finally I was lucky to be a twenty five year old man and able to overpower him after the initial attack. If it was my mother, father, or sister, they would have been dead.

I read a lot of people saying that the vicitims had it coming to them but I had never gone out any of the nights I had been in Cofresi. I went to the beach alone during the day to swim but only for a few hours. I was there only to install the lines for the home and relax. I had no arguments with locals nor long conversations with anybody. Somebody must have just seen that I was alone and therefore a target. I read about these incidents ocurring in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete but thought that Cofresi was relatively safe.

I don't have much faith in the police doing anything about this incident. The attacker, however, is extremely injured. He lost a lot of blood as indicated by the trail of blood he left behind. If he doesn't get to a clinic I believe he will die.

Please for anyone travelling to the country be very careful. This can happen anywhere in the country and to anybody.

firstly im a little saddened by these events that have affected you personally, and saddened at how these events have indirectly affected others.
i just want to publicly run through my chain of thoughts

i wonder why he was there at your home?
1/ My thoughts are these;if he came to steal property, that would be impossible as he didnt have a get away car, so that wasnt his motive!

secondly he may have come to murder you???

2/He probably came for cash. Im not sure how far maimon is away from your place, but why would someone travel FROM the maimon area to confresi area at 330am to pull a job and then NOT be able to get home. That is to suggest that if he got a motoconch there to confresi...obviously spending his last 50-100pesos on this ride. He must have known that he would be placing himself significantly at risk for capture after leaving your home (as he has NO getaway plan). Perhaps he was an arrogant f@#kaaa and believed he would be / MUST be successful so as to get money to get home to maimon. Or he was drug-f@#ked at the time!

3/To reiterate the last point ; why would this theif apparently spend the last peso he had to get to confresi knowing that he had no way of getting home (no cash/no awaiting getaway concho or friend)? Answer; he was either sure he'd find cash or he was in the area ALREADY for another reason. Further no self respecting thief would pull a job and then have now way to get home deep into the night

3/ By him needing to get a bus home it would indicate the following ? answer ; he had no money!and there was no 2nd individual waiting to help him getaway

5/Perhaps a friend dropped him into the area to rob a house...the friend obviously ****ed off ,if he even existed at all! As he was no where to be seen, and the robber was allegedly seen waiting at a bus stop alone some 4 hours later. (4hours with a bloody wound would place him at serious risk to go into shock)

6/So WHY was he in your area...im somewhat familiar with the general layout of confresi and it is an area you go into for a reason ie you live there etc. So he must have been in confresi for a reason, is there any construction going on locally (i know there was recently)...he could possible be a worker or guard for one of those projects. Deciding to pull a job whilst he was supposed to be guarding a construction site hmmmmm! Or he was in the area visiting friends etc and randomly chose your house to rob.
To find this guy i believe you should look locally!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
firstly im a little saddened by these events that have affected you personally, and saddened at how these events have indirectly affected others.
i just want to publicly run through my chain of thoughts

i wonder why he was there at your home?
1/ My thoughts are these;if he came to steal property, that would be impossible as he didnt have a get away car, so that wasnt his motive!

secondly he may have come to murder you???

2/He probably came for cash. Im not sure how far maimon is away from your place, but why would someone travel FROM the maimon area to confresi area at 330am to pull a job and then NOT be able to get home. That is to suggest that if he got a motoconch there to confresi...obviously spending his last 50-100pesos on this ride. He must have known that he would be placing himself significantly at risk for capture after leaving your home (as he has NO getaway plan). Perhaps he was an arrogant f@#kaaa and believed he would be / MUST be successful so as to get money to get home to maimon. Or he was drug-f@#ked at the time!

3/To reiterate the last point ; why would this theif apparently spend the last peso he had to get to confresi knowing that he had no way of getting home (no cash/no awaiting getaway concho or friend)? Answer; he was either sure he'd find cash or he was in the area ALREADY for another reason. Further no self respecting thief would pull a job and then have now way to get home deep into the night

3/ By him needing to get a bus home it would indicate the following ? answer ; he had no money!and there was no 2nd individual waiting to help him getaway

5/Perhaps a friend dropped him into the area to rob a house...the friend obviously ****ed off ,if he even existed at all! As he was no where to be seen, and the robber was allegedly seen waiting at a bus stop alone some 4 hours later. (4hours with a bloody wound would place him at serious risk to go into shock)

6/So WHY was he in your area...im somewhat familiar with the general layout of confresi and it is an area you go into for a reason ie you live there etc. So he must have been in confresi for a reason, is there any construction going on locally (i know there was recently)...he could possible be a worker or guard for one of those projects. Deciding to pull a job whilst he was supposed to be guarding a construction site hmmmmm! Or he was in the area visiting friends etc and randomly chose your house to rob.
To find this guy i believe you should look locally!
Don't quit your day job to become a detective.
Your logic is so flawed that you astound me.
Your lack of understanding of Dominican burglars is insurmountable, unless you don't live here and have very little travel experience here.
To think the perp was there to murder him, through your illogical deductions, is the icing on the cake.
This is nothing personal, you understand, but I'm hoping you respond tomorrow, with a heavy hangover, telling us how you lost your mind after guzzling down a couple of bottles of Southern Comfort.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think I caught MrMagic's speculation bug (without the using of mushrooms)

Typical thieves stealing for survival aren't likely too sophisticated. But, had the guy broke in for the specific purpose of a physical attack, one would think there would be at least some limited degree of planning and he'd have taken his own weapon with him... not take a chance on finding something in the kitchen after entering the house?

(Rocky... maybe I need to go back to reading Hercule Poirot & leave the detecting to the 'professionals' as well?)

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And on this magical, even theatrical note, we'll close this one down. I'll open a new thread for your input on a How to be safe in the DR sticky. Kirkland, if you have more comments to make, pm me and I'll open the thread for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.