Computer repair shop Recommendations Puerto Plata

sunup

Sep 1, 2013
Greetings folks, looking for recommendations for computer repair shop (Acer laptop) in Puerto Plata. Thank you 🙂

sunup

Sep 1, 2013
The issue is it will not boot - no beeps, no whirring, nada, just a black screen. It's plugged in and blue LED light indicates full battery. Reset the battery with the pin thing ( isn't removable) and tried variations of holding the power button (10 secs - 1 min), plugged in, not plugged in etc. All advice appreciated...

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I don't know if would go to Sosúa, because they have a great technician at Compucentro, in the Plaza behind Captain Baileys (spelling). He's name is Ramon, speaks German, Spanish, English.
In Puerto Plata I don't know anyone.

sunup

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know if would go to Sosúa, because they have a great technician at Compucentro, in the Plaza behind Captain Baileys (spelling). He's name is Ramon, speaks German, Spanish, English.
In Puerto Plata I don't know anyone.
Thanks, I will keep him in mind

clff4u

Sep 6, 2006
I have a guy that does all of our IT work where I work in Puerto Plata, send me a message and I will give you his name and # if you are interested. Speaks some English and very trustworthy.

Reactions: sunup

sunup

Sep 1, 2013
I have a guy that does all of our IT work where I work in Puerto Plata, send me a message and I will give you his name and # if you are interested. Speaks some English and very trustworthy
I sent you a message via 'Start Conversation' - is that how it's done?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would not try to fix an Acer if it is more than 1 years old. They are very poorly made. I had one that I barely used and it lasted only 6 months then dead.
You can buy a decent laptop (Lenovo) off eBay for $150, like the one I am typing on now.
And they are fixable.
If motherboards or screens die then it is too expensive to fix a used one.

Anything else from hard drives to ram memory, keyboards or WiFi cards are cheap to fix.
SSD hard drives now seldom fail, nor does modern memory
But in order to reduce weight and cost many newer laptops are all soldered components so in that case you might be out of luck

sunup

Sep 1, 2013
I would not try to fix an Acer if it is more than 1 years old. They are very poorly made. I had one that I barely used and it lasted only 6 months then dead.
You can buy a decent laptop (Lenovo) off eBay for $150, like the one I am typing on now.
And they are fixable.
If motherboards or screens die then it is too expensive to fix a used one.

Anything else from hard drives to ram memory, keyboards or WiFi cards are cheap to fix.
SSD hard drives now seldom fail, nor does modern memory
But in order to reduce weight and cost many newer laptops are all soldered components so in that case you might be out of luck
Thanks for your reply. This one is about 4 years old. It was sluggish from about a year so it will be my last Acer purchase. I had both a Lenovo laptop and smart phone which I bought in the middle east and they were excellent for many years but were too pricey in Canada at the time I needed a new one.

A recommended tech in POP is going to have a look for 300 pesos on Monday. I'll post the outcome of that but yeah, I won't be spending a lot.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Thanks for your reply. This one is about 4 years old. It was sluggish from about a year so it will be my last Acer purchase. I had both a Lenovo laptop and smart phone which I bought in the middle east and they were excellent for many years but were too pricey in Canada at the time I needed a new one.

A recommended tech in POP is going to have a look for 300 pesos on Monday. I'll post the outcome of that but yeah, I won't be spending a lot.
Here is sample of a decent laptop. If you are not a gamer or doing intense AutoCad then this will give you great service. It's a 4 year old model but I got 9 years out of my last used Lenovo, using it every day. You would need to buy an SSD which are cheap now, heck I have several then load Windows 10 but you can get a digital license for peanuts off eBay. If you aren't a techie then there are others for maybe $50 more fully ready to go

Reactions: sunup and bachata

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Reactions: sunup

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Here is sample of a decent laptop. If you are not a gamer or doing intense AutoCad then this will give you great service. It's a 4 year old model but I got 9 years out of my last used Lenovo, using it every day. You would need to buy an SSD which are cheap now, heck I have several then load Windows 10 but you can get a digital license for peanuts off eBay. If you aren't a techie then there are others for maybe $50 more fully ready to go

I bought one of those black Friday last year $115. Best buy.

JJ

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I mentioned once before I am using one of these I have mounted on my monitor. Lightning fast, SSD, two USB outlets:
612uRJ0hKCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dirt cheap and works like a champ. Boots in about 15 seconds. Only about 3" square.

I store most of my stuff on the cloud now but this has more than enough disk space.

Last edited:

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Spend the extra $$$ and buy Apple products,bulletproof.I'm on a computer 10 hours a day and I have 20 year old Apple laptops that still boot up no problem. I own practically everything that they've ever made and have never had one fail. Phones,desktops,laptops,tablets,ZERO failures.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Spend the extra $$$ and buy Apple products,bulletproof.I'm on a computer 10 hours a day and I have 20 year old Apple laptops that still boot up no problem. I own practically everything that they've ever made and have never had one fail. Phones,desktops,laptops,tablets,ZERO failures.
I've know plenty to fail. In fact their phones fail way more often than Samsung. I had two friends and Apple fanatics that had their MacBook Air laptops fail.

Reactions: JD Jones