Conjunctivitis a.k.a. Pink Eye

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I also use the chamomile: in a small vase I put water and a chamomile tea bag that I leave in for a while, I ad a few drops of fresh cut aloe. I dip in cotton pads and put it over the eyes for a few minutes....Et voila! Never had to use drops!

J

joerusso

I thought I was getting it 2 weeks ago. Used Oftalbiotic eye drops evening & again overnight - next morning it was virtually gone but I continued with drops for the rest of the day (3 or 4 times). Following day totally gone. Drops cost RD$230 & made by a Santo Domingo company, Ethical Pharmaceutical which has a good reputation according to a doctor friend.

I always keep 2 lots in the medicine cabinet all year round. Outbreaks are common here in DR. 2 lots because I will use one in the infected eye and the other in the non-infected eye. If using just one lot of drops sterilise top of drop bottle where it has touched infected eye, before putting in other eye.

ditto that! My son had it just a tad--we used the drops and it cleared up, than behold!! I felt something funny in one of my eyes, something like a fly going into it. Just didn't feel right and started to bother me. I used the drops just as a precaution, and I was fine. My wife tells me that it feels like an insect in your eye, with very little sensation of a insect bite. This is how it starts, so get them drops in asap! even if you think you may have it.

katty

Mar 14, 2003
several years ago while visiting I and my sister got pink eye upon going to physician and rec. anitbiotics this is a so called tropical ailment from too much sun to the eyes and i contagious. Wearing proper eyewear will help block suns harmful rays

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
several years ago while visiting I and my sister got pink eye upon going to physician and rec. anitbiotics this is a so called tropical ailment from too much sun to the eyes and i contagious. Wearing proper eyewear will help block suns harmful rays

You might have been told by the doctor that it was 'too much sun' but actually that is urban legend (read utter balderdash :cheeky:). It can be bacterial or viral or maybe even caused by irritants or allergy based.

Conjunctivitis: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments

Once you have it exposure to sun may well increase the discomfort but it doesn't cause the problem in the first place.

Just run it by the common sense test & ask yourself, if it was too much sun, why would antibiotic drops be prescribed?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
You are right Lambada, The conjunctivitis doing the rounds currently is bacterial and will usually start with a rather unpleasant yellow discharge in one eye. I would advise anyone with small children, in fact i would advise everyone to get a bottle or two, per lambadas advice as Mr LJ has terrible trouble finding it in Higuey today, It took him two hours going from one chemist to another and finally found one and was told it was their last bottle.

I would tell you the name but i have put them down somewhere and cant see where they are for the life of me. I feel actually very bad, but i believe the name of the drops has already been mentioned a few times. Thank fully my little girl seems to have improved but has worsened since yesterday, but i am walking round the house like Jackie Onassis with huge dark sunglasses, well if your going to be ill, may as well do it style ;)

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Ha Ha, just spent best part of five minutes searching for my sunglasses, picking up the wrong things and touching everything for some kind of idea what it might be and yes the sunglasses were on top of my head the whole time! :eek:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I had a really bad case of conjunctivitis a couple of years ago, that I caught here. I went to the farmacia and was given some drops that didnt do anything. I went back to the US and tried some homeopathic drops which eased the discomfort but didn't get rid of the infection. I then went to an eye doctor who prescribed TobraDex, made by Alcon. I paid about $70 (!!) for a tiny bottle, but followed the directions and it went away after a couple of days.

About a year later I got it again and went to the Farmacia and bought the Tobradex here...I believe it was about 500 pesos for the same bottle.

Several of my friends here in Cabarete had it a few weeks ago (not me this time, luckily!)...I recommended the Tobradex and it worked for everyone...

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I always keep 2 lots in the medicine cabinet all year round. Outbreaks are common here in DR.

Hmmm interesting....
Just a thought but could these common outbreaks have any connection to bacteria in the water supply that is transferred to the eyes from showering/washing the face?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
After reading that it was getting hard to find the medicine I bought some Ciproquinol drops this morning, RD$350. None of us has got conjunctivitis, but at least we won't have to drive around the eastern region to find it if/when it strikes.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Apparently outcreaks are common here after lots of rain fall like we have just seen recently. Maybe stagnant water or dirty water leaking into cisternas , not sure.

Water table here is pretty near the surface & people bury dead pets, livestock, narcotraffickers :cheeky: etc & as these decompose the bacteria released will enter water supply. On which happy note I shall go prepare supper :) .

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is my supper. Cover in salt and oregano, hang on line in sun all day, hope flies land on them because if the flies don't like them they must be bad, then fry!!! Delicious.

2cfrslx.jpg

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This is my supper. Cover in salt and oregano, hang on line in sun all day, hope flies land on them because if the flies don't like them they must be bad, then fry!!! Delicious.

2cfrslx.jpg

You serious?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
After reading that it was getting hard to find the medicine I bought some Ciproquinol drops this morning, RD$350. None of us has got conjunctivitis, but at least we won't have to drive around the eastern region to find it if/when it strikes.

For anyone not able to find Oftalbiotic or the drops Chiri recommends, there are imported drops but of course these are more expensive. Local brands are 200-350 pesos, imported start at 500. Maxitrol from Costa Rica is ok (RD$550) - it contains dexametasona & sulfato de neomicina.

Cures fish-eye too ;).

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
For anyone not able to find Oftalbiotic or the drops Chiri recommends, there are imported drops but of course these are more expensive. Local brands are 200-350 pesos, imported start at 500. Maxitrol from Costa Rica is ok (RD$550) - it contains dexametasona & sulfato de neomicina.

Cures fish-eye too ;).

My tame physic recommends Tobradex drops or ointment.
Brazilian made and available at better farmacias here.
Not cheap but extreeeeemely effective - contains
tobramicine, dextamatason and cloruro de benzalconio.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My tame physic recommends Tobradex drops or ointment.
Brazilian made and available at better farmacias here.
Not cheap but extreeeeemely effective - contains
tobramicine, dextamatason and cloruro de benzalconio.

So the good news is no-one need panic if one type of effective eye drops isn't available because there are clearly many effective alternatives. :)