Conjunctivitis a.k.a. Pink Eye

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It is now very rampant in Santiago, I caught it and the symptoms started while I was on the plane to NYC to work. By the time I got off the plane at JFK it was horrible...
Needless to say, I was sent home (I work in a Hospital). So I wasted a plane ticket and 6 days of work....what fun.
Mine did not go away so quickly, it was about a week but I think that I had something else with it because I had fever and chills, headahe, and earache also with mine.
Sorry I cannot remember the name of the drops that they gave me because I could barely see anyway and I only put them in ONE time because it burned like 3 hells...
Nurses make the worst patients.
2 friends of mine have it and when I went to the farmacia, they told me that they had sold at least 100 bottles of those drops in the 3 days before I was there. Thank God, my kids didn't catch it.
SHALENA

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Tita in philadelphia, pa, usa

I had pink eye and it was the worst ...my eye iched and it looked harrible......so what I did was that I cut a lemon in half and I squeezed 1 drop into my eye.....I know it burns but believe it or not it clears it up in about an hour.....it works every time....it burns of course but it really helps.....I had to go to a sweet 16 that day and I didn't know what to do...until I called my grandma and I asked her what can I do, she told me to put a drop of lemon in my eye....I was like lemon, but that hurts she told me, do you want it to clear up and I said yes.....so that what I did...and it really worked....it would only hurt for a few seconds.....I had it in both eyes so I had it really bad.....just make sure you have some tissue paper next to you, because trust and believe its gonna make u cry...you can always try this if tea doesn't work...

Remedies for Pink Eye

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well I got alist of remedies today in my colmado. Strangely enough antibiotic drops seem to work v fast but the dominicans and the haitians swear by one of the following:

lime juice
cherries
sea water
sugar water
sugar itself
some sort of leaf

Can't remember the rest but all equally appalling

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
No, Pedro it's not just Haitians that think that. Someone that I work with told me yesterday that his daughters had it and he didn't look at them for 3 days and he told me that he is proof that it works because he didn't get it, however, he was not in work today! LOL

People please, do not put lemon juice in your eyes. I thought that it was ridiculous that in the article that was on here they actually have to tell people NOT TO PUT LEMON JUICE IN THEIR EYES!! And sure enough, there are people on here recommending it. Lemon juice contains acid which can burn your corneas especially if you use too much.

Get the drops or the ointment and stick to safer alternative methods like tea as Chiri mentioned.

Reactions: Bronxboy

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Well just as i am over the worst of it and luckily my daughter too, Mr LJ called me this evening and told me he now has it. Now this was after...

a) Laughing at me looking like Quasimodo!

B) Boasting to everyone he was so strong and macho he was not going to get it!

c) Not buying me ice cream when i was sick! :disappoin

I am 100% sure he will be lying in bed tomorrow demanding all sorts of special treatment and feeling generally quite sorry for himself. Now bearing in mind the aforementioned behavior i should let him suffer, but that's not being a very good wife is it? And it means i can use it to make him feel bad later ;)

Laura

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
me too

i just wanted to complain - i got conjutivitis too!
bad thing i wear contact lenses, on thursday one of my eyes was little itchy so i thought i might have something stuck to my lens and it will clear my the morning. at 4am i woke up with one eye completely closed shut with puss, gross!
i went to the doctor first thing in the morning and got a sick note for a week - i cannot use my for a whole week so i cannot see much with my very old glasses.
miesposo branded my "chinese girl" but he took good care of poor dorotka.
drops made me feel a lot better thou. no lemon juice, sugar and any other weird stuff thou. i use natural medicine of maximum sleep ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Just when you thought it was safe to go out - she has a drivers license and pink eye...........

Get better honey, we miss you in the outside world..... ;)

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
I am surprised no one mentioned the most common Dominican cure for this. It is known by all older ladies. The only problem is that you might perhaps want to first send the originator of the cure for a battery of medical tests. Several applications of breast milk will cure pink eye within 24 hours.