Cooking Ribs in the DR

centurion

May 23, 2010
NO NO NO NO Dont parboil meat the only thing you boil is a egg or hot dog and keep the oven off good barbeque is done the good old fashion way with charcoal and time ,cold beer or scotch.Trim excess fat from rib's,peel membrane from back of rib's ,season good and let marinate in fridge ,don't use beer as a marinade it's a waste of good beer!!!. Cook using indirect method n cover, turn every half hour about three hour's later sauce em up place over coals get a little char on them move to side apply sauce again close lid let it bake on for about five minutes add third coat let bake for another five minutes remove and enjoy some good sticky ribs with cold beer.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Ted Reader also has excellent recipes for bbq'ing. He calls himself 'king of the q'. I would have to agree that boiling the ribs takes away the flavor. I braise mine....season with Ted Readers 'bone dust' then put in roaster with 2 cups apple juice...cover with sliced lemons and bake on 300 for 2 hours. The bbq for a few minutes with your favorite sauce (Ted also has great recipes for homemade bbq sauce). Excellent!

What happened to the king of Q?

I remember about 4 years ago he opened a restaurant in POP or Confressi or whatever and he advertised night and day, so my question is where do we buy Teddies To Expose The Succulent Ribs?

Last edited:

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
I didn't know he had a restaurant....I've got his cookbook "Sticky Fingers and Tenderloins. Every recipe is awesome. He even has a rootbeer bbq sauce.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tip:

Always remove the underside protective skin that protects the ribs from all of the inards.

Use a small sharp knife and run it along the bone to get a starting point to remove this. I always use napkins to get a grasp of this and if you do it right you can pull this off in one piece in less than 60 seconds.....

Just as fast as stealing something in the Dominican!
I use a small pair pf pliers for yhis task.

I have another friend whouses pretty much the same technique I started the thread with, but he tightly wraps the ribe is Saran Wrao before the foil. Says it's the best way to retain the juices and it does make sense.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
ribs

try marinating your ribs in a presidente. cook them in the beer for 2 hrs low heat then take them out and put on the grill they come out nice

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just bought 2 Six packs of A & W Root Beer in Jumbo yesterday!!

After I read this I went to Jumbo as fast as my private taxi driver could take me. Only three six-packs left at 180 each. Soda and taxi roundtrip, 840 DP.
A bit pricey for 3 six-packs but when I make that first chocolate root beer float, (a black cow), worth every peso.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Ted Reader

The self proclaimed King of the BBQ had a small restaurant a short 3 minute stroll up the beach from Sun Village in Cofressi.
The portions were ample, as was Ted's physique :cheeky:
I enjoyed his establishment though.
If memory serves me correct the restaurant was under new management the last time I was there. That was a few years back.
I recall Ted doing BBQ seminars and sampling sessions at Sun Village. I am not sure if he was affiliated with Sun Village or just drumming up business for his establishment just down the beach from the AI.
In any event, his rib samples drew me off of the AI :glasses:

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
recipes

ok....for those of you with the enquiring minds....here are 2 good recipes from Ted Reader.

Bone Dust Seasoning:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

mix all together and store in airtight container. Sounds like alot of ingrediants but makes alot and keeps a long time. I use it on all meat before cooking. Awesome on the beer butt chicken too. Just rub it in and let sit for a bit.

Root Beer Ribs:

Season ribs with bone dust. In a roasting pan spread sliced onions and smashed garlic cloves. Lay ribs, meat side down on top. Stir together root beer (1 can for every rack of ribs) and root beer essence (if you can get it...I've never been able to find it) or vanilla. Braise for 2 hrs at 325 degrees.

Root Beer Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup root beer
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Mix ingrediants together. Bbq ribs and baste frequently with sauce.

enjoy!!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
My rib marinade

Don't know if you'll find this easy, but it's my favorite marinade for pork ribs. All of these ingredients are available in DR because I found them while I was down there last time. Use a mortar and pestle (which you'll find plenty of in DR) and crush fresh garlic with the roots from the cylantro. Rub this over the ribs and add garlic powder, black pepper, sugar, either magi seasoning, teriaki or light soy sauce (preferably not the black variety), fish sauce and oyster sauce. If you don't like fish sauce u can substitute salt but not too much cuz the magi or soy sauce is already salty... Marinade it for at least an hour or even better overnight. The flavors really sink into the meat that way. I just pop them directly on the grill no need to cover them or boil them first etc because the recipe tenderizes the meat.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Old thread but some good ideas for ribs and the photos made me hungry. Looks good cobraboy.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
CB. . .next time you are heading to la capital buzz me and I will smoke ya some ribs. I have a bradley smoker, bring in rub from san antonio texas and get good BBQ sauce at omaha courmet. Used Tubbs last time. A bit of a hot kick to it. I dug it.
I buy ribs from nacional. Coat heavily with rub from Rudys BBQ in texas. Fire up Bradley to 220-250 and get the smoke going with apple, cherry or borubon wood pucks. Mix them sometimes.

3 hours in the smoke. Rotating the trays sometimes to cook a bit more evenly. Then take them out and put in foil with a bit of apple juice underneath the ribs. Supposed to put back in for 2 hours no smoke but I do 1:45 so they still have some pull and don't totally fall of the bone. 2 hours and you get them falling off.
After 1:45 I take out of foil and raise temp to 250-270. . .once the dry a bit from the "steaming" in the foil, I brush on some sauce. Last time tubbs but have had luck with generic kraft BBQ sauce with some rub from Blacks BBQ in Lockhart texas mixed in to give it a bit of a kick.

You get a real smoked flavor, the flavor of the dry rub, and then the sauce. They are tender as all hell. It does take 6 hours but most of which are unattended hours so I can drink beer, play guitar, watch TV etc.
My 4 rack Bradley does 4 racks one rack cut in half on each rack.

Yesterday I made a 4 pound ribeye. Rudys rub on top, montreal grill seasoning on bottom, 2.5 hours at 220-250 in mesquite smoke. Damn. . . .yummy. Sometimes I then slice and blacken them. Yesterday they looked so good, I didn't bother with blackening.
For xmas I cooked a 10 lb ribeye. Bought 17 lbs but only smoked 10 for navida and froze 7. It was like 10,000 pesos for 17 lb rib eye. Yesterday was 2600 pesos for over 4 lbs.

I wish the sold prime rib down here but angus ribe eye works. Actually chef pepper does prime rib eyes but already sliced, maybe I can cut a deal and get a bug hunk before they do the slicing.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I am by no means the chef of the family but I will attempt to describe how my wife prepares her delicious ribs.
Step One - Pour 1.5 liters of Coca Cola or Pepsi into a deep dish pan.
Step Two - Insert ribs into the deep dish
Step Three - Slow cook for 2-3 hours
Step Four - Baste with your favorite sauce
Step Five - Broil
Step Six - Pour a glass of your favorite red and enjoy :)

glad you get into the sauce when she is having her way with the "sauce"