Cooking Ribs in the DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Next Saturday is Mr. AE's birthday, and we're having a bunch of family and friends over. The oven will be busy with roast pork legs that day, and the rest of the meat will be done on the gas grill & its rotisserie [probably 4 chickens on there]. The kitchen will be run by two Dominican women that day, and I don't want to get in their way.

So my question is.... would it be possible to do the precooking on a gorgeous rack of ribs the day before, refrigerate overnight, and then finish them up on the grill on Saturday???? Any other suggestions ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i felt inspired today and bought baby back ribs in la sirena. this is some imported, ready to eat frozen kinda thingy. all you need to do is thaw and heat. easy meal. 439 pesos for a rack of 12 ribs. it was good.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Next Saturday is Mr. AE's birthday, and we're having a bunch of family and friends over. The oven will be busy with roast pork legs that day, and the rest of the meat will be done on the gas grill & its rotisserie [probably 4 chickens on there]. The kitchen will be run by two Dominican women that day, and I don't want to get in their way.

So my question is.... would it be possible to do the precooking on a gorgeous rack of ribs the day before, refrigerate overnight, and then finish them up on the grill on Saturday???? Any other suggestions ?

Yes; this will allow the flavors to come together overnight. Just be sure to leave any sauce off until you finish them off. And allow them to come to room temp before putting them on the grill.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE,
some people prefer the 'prepare ahead' method you suggest and do it all the time....

it adds flavor and lessens the last minute scramble
Happy Birthday to him !!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
nor do I and I don't like to see them boiled .... takes flavor away , IMO

slow cook covered in foil with beer -whatever- added for moisture & flavoring

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I forgot to post a follow up on this. I had bought a big rack of baby back ribs at La Sirena, about 7-800 pesos; it was a week ago [and about 100 degrees] so I didn't want to light the oven. I put the ribs meat side down in a large metal pan, after rubbing it down with a chicken & rib rub [I think it was Durkee], then added water to the pan, and some more of the rub in the water, then put the whole pan on the gas grill on lowest setting. Closed it and let it simmer a couple of hours.

Removed the pan, raised the flame to high, basted the ribs with BBQ sauce and put them back on the grill. OMG, it was melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. Might have been the best we've had. Yum.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Using the BBQ as an oven works well.

CB did these at my house one night.... but we used the oven for the first cook....then hit the grill.
BBQ all the ways works too

an excellent , easy way to go

He brought almost a whole side of ribs from Jarabacoa..... we were 5 that night.

Glad you enjoyed it AE.......... he will be too

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let's not forget about beef ribs and chicken.............

I had used a gas grill for many years but over five years ago I switched back to charcoal briquettes and will probably never own another gas grill. Something about that charcoal smoked taste can NOT be duplicated on a gas grill. I now use a chimney fire starter and in 15 minutes the coals are ready.

I no longer use sauce as they taste so good without it.

8whax1.jpg

1607gom.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I and all my friends are back to charcoal...........

gas for a 'quick fix' but charcoal for almost all

mix the briquettes and charcoal for more even burning fire....

charcoal for the flavor
briquettes for the even burn/heat

it's a bit of a juggle

also , research 'down & dirty'

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
You can't do "real" BBQ with charcoal. Wood only. The taste is entirely different. And most bbq pitmasters, have a preferred wood, or mixture of woods that they use. When growing up in Texas, I remember going with my Pop to the wood dealer to pick up cords of wood (can't tell you the mix) for my mother to use. I will tell you that we had two huge pecan trees in our backyard. And most of the fallen branches were set aside in a pile for use in the pit.

Like most Texans, we subscribe to the notion that BBQ sauce is utilized like a condiment. Definitely not used in the cooking/bbq process. With good quality meat, a good rub, and correct preparation, sauce is totally unnecessary.

My mom (BBQ Sensei) uses a huge bbq pit that my grandfather built from a big propane tank. He built a fire-box on the side so that the meat is cooked with indirect heat and smoke ( the main diff between bbq and grilling). And then he welded it to a trailer so that he could pull it behind his pick-up. My grandfather has since passed on. And the bbq pit that he built many years ago is now a family heirloom. One that is still used by my family every summer to make some of the best bbq in NE Texas.

BBQ in an oven? Sacrilege where I grew up. You couldn't give it away.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ william Webster and corsair74 time for me to keep my mouth shut cause the experts are stepping up to the plate!

I use the old reliable Kingsford charcoal, mixed with some off brand natural wood chunks, and some hickory or maple wood chips soaked in water and wrapped in aluminum foil with punched holes. Sad part is here in SD first it was hard to find charcoal or whatever and when I did the price was absolutely crazy. So as weird as it may sound I make it a habit to bring down my "charcoal" on every flight.

Now back to "chopping down" on some good BBQ. Any tips on beef brisket, especially on what piece of beef to buy. I know a spot in NYC that sells beef brisket with globs of fat that seems to tenderize the meat where you can eat it with a plastic fork.

Yes, good BBQ does not need any of that fancy bottled BBQ sauce..................

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
@ william Webster and corsair74 time for me to keep my mouth shut cause the experts are stepping up to the plate!

I use the old reliable Kingsford charcoal, mixed with some off brand natural wood chunks, and some hickory or maple wood chips soaked in water and wrapped in aluminum foil with punched holes. Sad part is here in SD first it was hard to find charcoal or whatever and when I did the price was absolutely crazy. So as weird as it may sound I make it a habit to bring down my "charcoal" on every flight.

Now back to "chopping down" on some good BBQ. Any tips on beef brisket, especially on what piece of beef to buy. I know a spot in NYC that sells beef brisket with globs of fat that seems to tenderize the meat where you can eat it with a plastic fork.

Yes, good BBQ does not need any of that fancy bottled BBQ sauce..................

Remind me next time I'm in DR, "carbon" is readily available around our house, I'll bring you a bag in SD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my Haitian worker makes it whenever short of cash - always

300 pesos for a rice saco full.... huge !!!

SD might be harder to find..........

I shipped my BBQ from NYC.... do that for a smoker which are popular these days.

Wood is what the good smokers use..... I'm an amateur....

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I forgot to post a follow up on this. I had bought a big rack of baby back ribs at La Sirena, about 7-800 pesos; it was a week ago [and about 100 degrees] so I didn't want to light the oven. I put the ribs meat side down in a large metal pan, after rubbing it down with a chicken & rib rub [I think it was Durkee], then added water to the pan, and some more of the rub in the water, then put the whole pan on the gas grill on lowest setting. Closed it and let it simmer a couple of hours.

Removed the pan, raised the flame to high, basted the ribs with BBQ sauce and put them back on the grill. OMG, it was melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. Might have been the best we've had. Yum.

Keep in mind that fatty meats make their own juices as they cook. You don't need to add water prior to cooking, and the water will leech some of the flavor away.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THAT'S why Haiti has no trees, and now they are using DR forests!!
Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
and ME TOO!

he trims the local pinions(sp?) for his fuel.......

the trees are still intact........

you're a tree hugger, huh???wow!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
my Haitian worker makes it whenever short of cash - always

300 pesos for a rice saco full.... huge !!!....

Remind me next time I'm in DR, "carbon" is readily available around our house, I'll bring you a bag in SD.

Will both of you stop! Where were you when I posted a thread of where to buy carbon in SD. LOL

I will take both of you up on the offer, and thanks. I can never have too much carbon, shucks might even start cooking scrambled eggs carbon style for breakfast.

@Insanleyone, never tried stovetop mac' n cheese. Next thing someone will mention where you can buy collard greens in this country to top the plate off. (a little hot sauce on the greens and I am set to go)