Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
What could corona virus, actually any virus, have something to do with public toilets? Yes, it may be there, no more and no less then on your kitchen table.
A dirty bathroom may be a nurturing spot for bacterial infections, but we have all learned the difference between bacteria and a virus, haven't we?
covid is in shit

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
What could corona virus, actually any virus, have something to do with public toilets? Yes, it may be there, no more and no less then on your kitchen table.
A dirty bathroom may be a nurturing spot for bacterial infections, but we have all learned the difference between bacteria and a virus, haven't we?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad analogy. Flu is a different animal because of the wide range of strains and they create of cocktail of multiple vaccines hoping to hit the expected strains 10 months in the future. Better than nothing, but as you point out, it's hit and miss depending on the year.

Covid-19 has strains as well, but they haven't diverged very far at this point (but they may in the future). However, effectiveness is something still to be established.

Blondie
I saw this today in the London Telegraph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six distinct types of coronavirus have been identified by scientists in a breakthrough that promises to save lives by flagging the highest-risk patients.
Analysis of thousands of cases by artificial intelligence software has revealed different "clusters" of symptoms and ranked them in order of severity.
Headache and loss of smell are common to all six groupings, but the range of symptoms varies widely after that.
Scientists at King's College London (KCL) found that patients with the sixth type of Covid-19 are nearly 10 times more likely to end up needing breathing support than patients in the first group.
This is significant because often patients only deteriorate to a critical stage several days after after showing symptoms. The new ranking system should flag up the highest-risk cases and give doctors the opportunity to intervene earlier.

The findings, derived from KCL's symptom tracker app, used data from 1,600 users in the UK and US who have had confirmed Covid-19. The resulting algorithm was then tested on an independent cohort of 1,000 users in the UK, the US and Sweden.
"These findings have important implications for care and monitoring of people who are most vulnerable to severe Covid-19," said Dr Claire Steves from KCL.
"If you can predict who these people are at day five, you have time to give them support and early interventions such as monitoring blood oxygen and sugar levels, and ensuring they are properly hydrated – simple care that could be given at home, preventing hospitalisations and saving lives."
The least severe categories of the virus were characterised by flu-like symptoms, either with or without fever.
Gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhoea, dominate the third category, whereas fatigue, confusion and ultimately respiratory problems are associated with the increasingly severe fourth, fifth and sixth categories.

The team discovered that only 1.5 per cent of people with cluster one, 4.4 per cent of people with cluster two and 3.3 per cent of people with cluster three Covid-19 required breathing support.
These figures were 8.6 per cent, 9.9 per cent and 19.8 per cent for clusters four, five and six respectively. Nearly half the patients in cluster six ended up in hospital, compared with just 16 per cent of those in cluster one.

"Being able to gather big datasets through the app and apply machine learning to them is having a profound impact on our understanding of the extent and impact of Covid-19, and human health more widely," said Sebastien Ourselin, professor of healthcare engineering at KCL and the senior author of the study.
The study, published in a pre-print server called medRxiv, is yet to be peer-reviewed.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Blondie
I saw this today in the London Telegraph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Six distinct types of coronavirus have been identified by scientists in a breakthrough that promises to save lives by flagging the highest-risk patients.

Yes, it's an RNA virus so replication mistakes are extremely common. These are just the 6 most distinct strains, but there are 100's, 1000's, and Millions of others. Even in the same human host, there are multiple variations.

My point is that they still haven't drifted very far apart so a single vaccine will be effective. From what is publicly available, most or all vaccines are targeting the protein spike which is very well conserved. I'm only aware of a single variation which is buried deep in the protein structure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, you're waaay ahead of me in the library of studying !!!

I'm still trying to avoid it - whatever strain !!!

But I took comfort in the varying degrees of intensity..... gives some hope that we won't be struck dead
like a lightening strike !

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
But I took comfort in the varying degrees of intensity..... gives some hope that we won't be struck dead
like a lightening strike !

It's definitely a kick in the head as I've had a mild case of it and I'm still recovering several months later. I'm still fatigued and sometimes short of breath, but I'm improving. I bought a oxygen concentrator which I use at night which has been immensely helpful, and I definitely felt it when the power was out. I'm 56 and otherwise in good health.

My housemate in Florida had it too and his uncle was in his 40's, healthy, and he died.

One athletic college daughter had it too. She could barely get out of bed for 10 days, but bounced back in a few weeks.

I mostly likely caught it traveling as I went through Newark right before travel from Europe was limited, but how knows. My daughter caught it from her pilot boyfriend who works for commercial airline before being furloughed.

PS- I found genetics so fascinating that at 35, I started taking college courses and looking for a new career in it. Then I. realized that it would cut my income in half, but I still keep up reading journals, etc. My oldest daughter is a PhD/MD student in genetics. Even at 5 years old, she showed a strong interest in it. maybe genetic?

Reactions: GusFring

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with this. It may sound odd but the DR on the one hand sounds way behind other countries but maybe on the other hand we are ahead. Those places that have “eliminated” the virus or have it under control. How long will that last and how long can they stay closed and will it really work isolating tourists.
1) The pandemic started with 1 case.
2) That one case quickly spread into what we have today with at least 2 versions of CV19.
3) Social distancing, masks, curfews, regulations up the Yin Yang are to keep hospitals from being overloaded with the side effect that many of those regulations destroy the economy
4) Keeping the pandemic under control by social distancing only extends the length of most pandemics. This one does not seem to have an immunity potential. Despite what vaccine manufacturers are saying about successful efforts thus far at generating vaccines, there is no way to know if that vaccine is really effective and how long it will last. It takes more than 6 months to find out of a vaccine works for 6 months. Next year we can have an idea if an effective vaccine exists.
5) Only one case needs to be left in the world for this to start back up again.
6) How long will people shut down the economy, social distance, etc while we wait until at least next year to see what happens with vaccines?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is nothing to love about a guy doing absolutely the right thing (unless he knows he is contaminated).

N95 are for contaminated or suspected environments. They protect the bearer.
Surgical and some other types of masks exist for sterile environments. They protect the environment.
Everyone who is not sick should wear N95. The sick persons should isolate themselves.

There is also a gray area: persons who may carry the virus without knowing it. This is where social distancing and isolation come ito play.

I learned all this watching CGTN videos.
The guy wearing the N95 mask with a valve, who is the incoming DR President, has had CV19. So he may or may not be "clear".

Unless you are tested almost every day, how do you know? Remember how most people have little to no symptoms
but can still spread the disease, even ones who get sick can spread the disease before they feel sick. That is how we
got to this point in the world today.

The reason governments wants people to wear masks is to prevent spreading their CV19 to others.
It is NOT about protecting only yourself with an N95 mask with a valve.
Remember, most of the masks are simple cloth masks.

Wearing a mask with a valve is ridiculous, since as you pointed out, he is only protecting himself.

I stand by my statement that it is stupid for people to wear N95 style masks with valves the expel their breath directly into the environment
if they think that will do anything significant to reduce the spread of CV19. The vast majority of people won't be tested and won't know that they are contagious.

All that said, all the mask wearing in the world is not going to stop CV19.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
45 days of State of Emergency just passed in the DR Senate. Now we see what Danilo does with it.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Yes, it's an RNA virus so replication mistakes are extremely common. These are just the 6 most distinct strains, but there are 100's, 1000's, and Millions of others. Even in the same human host, there are multiple variations.

My point is that they still haven't drifted very far apart so a single vaccine will be effective. From what is publicly available, most or all vaccines are targeting the protein spike which is very well conserved. I'm only aware of a single variation which is buried deep in the protein structure.
Do you have anti-body studies? From what I have read, antibody may only last 2 or 3 months or not at all in some cases which would render any vaccine useless.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
1) The pandemic started with 1 case.
2) That one case quickly spread into what we have today with at least 2 versions of CV19.
3) Social distancing, masks, curfews, regulations up the Yin Yang are to keep hospitals from being overloaded with the side effect that many of those regulations destroy the economy
4) Keeping the pandemic under control by social distancing only extends the length of most pandemics. This one does not seem to have an immunity potential. Despite what vaccine manufacturers are saying about successful efforts thus far at generating vaccines, there is no way to know if that vaccine is really effective and how long it will last. It takes more than 6 months to find out of a vaccine works for 6 months. Next year we can have an idea if an effective vaccine exists.
5) Only one case needs to be left in the world for this to start back up again.
6) How long will people shut down the economy, social distance, etc while we wait until at least next year to see what happens with vaccines?
Yes, we must play Russian Roulette with the world's population and keep everything open and Damn The Torpedos!

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
45 days of State of Emergency just passed in the DR Senate. Now we see what Danilo does with it.
More token BS:
1. 8pm to 6am curfew, meaningless.
2. Close beaches except in PC lol.
3. Stop non-essential travel from province to province out of SDQ and STI.
4. Mandatory mask wearing.
5. Hang on for dear life.
6. Oh yea, announce that the new restriction announcement is coming then postpone said announcement accordingly.
7. Rinse and repeat

Do you see harsher restrictions for maybe the first 15 days?

Reactions: Andre14615

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Do you have anti-body studies? From what I have read, antibody may only last 2 or 3 months or not at all in some cases which would render any vaccine useless.

You're right. So far, no vaccine has proven itself for efficacy and durability. However, even a 90 day vaccine would be useful for front-line people.

Also, historically, all vaccines required 7+ years to develop although technology has advanced considerably.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
The guy wearing the N95 mask with a valve, who is the incoming DR President, has had CV19. So he may or may not be "clear".

Unless you are tested almost every day, how do you know? Remember how most people have little to no symptoms
but can still spread the disease, even ones who get sick can spread the disease before they feel sick. That is how we
got to this point in the world today.

The reason governments wants people to wear masks is to prevent spreading their CV19 to others.
It is NOT about protecting only yourself with an N95 mask with a valve.
Remember, most of the masks are simple cloth masks.

Wearing a mask with a valve is ridiculous, since as you pointed out, he is only protecting himself.

I stand by my statement that it is stupid for people to wear N95 style masks with valves the expel their breath directly into the environment
if they think that will do anything significant to reduce the spread of CV19. The vast majority of people won't be tested and won't know that they are contagious.

All that said, all the mask wearing in the world is not going to stop CV19.

Status
Not open for further replies.