Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019

that's a big difference between the Dominican & Sweden, they have close to the same amount of infected, but the D.R. has 1,371 deceased compared to Sweden's 5,774.

I have to admit that is a bit of a surprise.

Reactions: GringoRubio

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

that's a big difference between the Dominican & Sweden, they have close to the same amount of infected, but the D.R. has 1,371 deceased compared to Sweden's 5,774.

I have to admit that is a bit of a surprise.
Give us a chance to catch up.
CV is reported to have struck Sweden
in Jan. 2019.
Got to the DR later so the numbers are to be expected.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Zoom is defending mostly the official position and you a conspiracy theory or at least its not whats officially being said. So you could be right but the mods are now supposed to ban a member of the forum who defends the official explanation. Or what did you mean ?

Huh?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Listindiario reports this morning that PCR CV19 tests have been suspended at several hospitals in Santo Domingo. The reasons for the cancellation of testing were not made public but we can probably surmise:

1) The DR has run out of test kits and/or supplies needed to analyze the results of the tests.
2) The testing labs cannot keep up with the number of tests being submitted for processing

The new govt clearly needs to make Covid and public health it's #1 priority. More testing, more hospital beds & equipment, more measures to isolate infectious people from the population as a whole. The economy isn't going to roar to life if the worker bees are dropping like they do in colony collapse disorder hives. Same news source reports many of the newly infected are middle aged almost equally split between males an females. This country does not have any sort of handle on this disease nor do they seem to have a realistic plan to mitigate the disruption the disease and the non compliant population pose to us all and the economy as a whole.

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's something from a friend of ours.... he found it
that speaks to a vaccine and the 'new normal'....

There is mention of cultures like RD....
===============================================

Coronavirus: Is the world winning the pandemic fight?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53694982

...........But one fact unites everyone, whether they make their home in the Amazon rainforest, the skyscrapers of Singapore or the late-summer streets of the UK: this is a virus that thrives on close human contact. The more we come together, the easier it will spread........

This central tenet explains the situation wherever you are in the world and dictates what the future will look like.

It is driving the high volume of cases in Latin America - the current epicentre of the pandemic - and the surge in India. It explains why Hong Kong is keeping people in quarantine facilities or the South Korean authorities are monitoring people's bank accounts and phones. It illustrates why Europe and Australia are struggling to balance lifting lockdowns and containing the disease. And why we are trying to find a "new normal" rather than the old one.

"This is a virus circulating all over the planet. It affects every single one of us. It goes from human to human, and highlights that we are all connected," said Dr Elisabetta Groppelli, from St George's, University of London. "It's not just about travel, it's speaking and spending time together - that's what humans do."

nd - in a warning to us all - past success is no guarantee for the future. Hong Kong was widely praised for resisting the first wave of coronavirus - now bars and gyms have been closed again, while its Disneyland resort managed to keep the gates open for less than a month.

"Leaving lockdown does not mean back to the old ways. It's a new normal. People have not got that message at all," Dr Harris said.........

Generally, the world's hopes of getting life back to normal are pinned on a vaccine. Immunising people breaks the virus's ability to spread...........

Dr Margaret Harris, of WHO, said: "People have this Hollywood-esque belief in a vaccine; that scientists are just going to fix it. In a two-hour film the end comes pretty quickly, but scientists aren't Brad Pitt, injecting themselves and saying 'we're all going to be saved'."

Sep 22, 2009
ListinDiario
this morning reports on a study done by U of Fla virus molecules can be up to 5 meters from an infected patient.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
ListinDiario
this morning reports on a study done by U of Fla virus molecules can be up to 5 meters from an infected patient.
Probably more than that. Covid is much worse in areas with particulate pollution, and it's been shown to be airborne on such particulates. I easy to speculate this is the reason for increased cases, but it could also be the lung damage from living in the same.

Of course, as I type this, a moto races by outside, and I need to dust my desk again after just a week.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Listindiario reports this morning that PCR CV19 tests have been suspended at several hospitals in Santo Domingo. The reasons for the cancellation of testing were not made public but we can probably surmise:

1) The DR has run out of test kits and/or supplies needed to analyze the results of the tests.
2) The testing labs cannot keep up with the number of tests being submitted for processing

The new govt clearly needs to make Covid and public health it's #1 priority. More testing, more hospital beds & equipment, more measures to isolate infectious people from the population as a whole. The economy isn't going to roar to life if the worker bees are dropping like they do in colony collapse disorder hives. Same news source reports many of the newly infected are middle aged almost equally split between males an females. This country does not have any sort of handle on this disease nor do they seem to have a realistic plan to mitigate the disruption the disease and the non compliant population pose to us all and the economy as a whole.

This morning while visiting a laboratory for a routine blood exam (DVT), I observed the establishment was noticeably void of patients. When I inquired as to why, I was informed that that the laboratory and it's affiliates now conduct home testing of patients for PCR CV19, thus eliminating the need for those who have been visiting the labs solely for this particular testing.
This policy has been enacted to reduce crowding in the laboratories, and provide a bit of privacy to the testing process. It was further stated that hospitals have/are/and will be enacting similar methods to reduce overcrowding.
The above statements of:

2) The testing labs cannot keep up with the number of tests being submitted for processing.
are complete and utter rubbish, based on uninformed speculation stemming from borderline hysteria.

For those wishing for a test, you should have a note/prescription from your personal doctor requesting such exam, and your insurance card information. Contact one of the Referencia Laboratorio Clinico's, and request a home appointment. A tester will visit your residence, administer the exam, and issue a receipt containing a personal username/password issued to you, which can then be followed up online for your results.
NO REASON TO LEAVE YOUR RESIDENCE TO BE TESTED, NOR RECEIVE YOUR RESULTS!

Some members would actually do a beneficial service for themselves if they peeled back the duct tape, ventured out, and explored the nation/community they have chosen to relocate and reside in. There is ZERO reason/excuse to be a foreigner residing in another nation, and not have a clue as to what exists beyond your four proper walls. Not to mention offering up false information to others, based merely on uninformed speculation.
100% totally irresponsible behaviour, but each person is fit to live their lives as they so see fit.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Read the numbers for Bulletin #148, as of 13 August 2020

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This morning while visiting a laboratory for a routine blood exam (DVT), I observed the establishment was noticeably void of patients. When I inquired as to why, I was informed that that the laboratory and it's affiliates now conduct home testing of patients for PCR CV19, thus eliminating the need for those who have been visiting the labs solely for this particular testing.
This policy has been enacted to reduce crowding in the laboratories, and provide a bit of privacy to the testing process. It was further stated that hospitals have/are/and will be enacting similar methods to reduce overcrowding.
The above statements of:

2) The testing labs cannot keep up with the number of tests being submitted for processing.
are complete and utter rubbish, based on uninformed speculation stemming from borderline hysteria.

For those wishing for a test, you should have a note/prescription from your personal doctor requesting such exam, and your insurance card information. Contact one of the Referencia Laboratorio Clinico's, and request a home appointment. A tester will visit your residence, administer the exam, and issue a receipt containing a personal username/password issued to you, which can then be followed up online for your results.
NO REASON TO LEAVE YOUR RESIDENCE TO BE TESTED, NOR RECEIVE YOUR RESULTS!

Some members would actually do a beneficial service for themselves if they peeled back the duct tape, ventured out, and explored the nation/community they have chosen to relocate and reside in. There is ZERO reason/excuse to be a foreigner residing in another nation, and not have a clue as to what exists beyond your four proper walls. Not to mention offering up false information to others, based merely on uninformed speculation.
100% totally irresponsible behaviour, but each person is fit to live their lives as they so see fit.
Thats good advice under normal circumstances but we are being told there is a pandemic and we have to limit going out and social distance and wear mask. There is even a curfew at night forbidding us to go out. But thanks for the valuable information. All good to know.

• Haha
Reactions: GusFring

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thats good advice under normal circumstances but we are being told there is a pandemic and we have to limit going out and social distance and wear mask. There is even a curfew at night forbidding us to go out. But thanks for the valuable information. All good to know.

Mr. Boyter,

Please explain how your response to my posting relates to it?

1. Yes, it WAS good advice provided. Persons now know how to get themselves, family members, or significant other ones tested in their residence, and receive results via the internet.

2. No, we are not under normal circumstances, nor have we been for quite a while. The world as we know it has been held hostage for a bit. Does this mean that individual responsibility has taken a back seat to political correctness? Perhaps for those that need their hand held, and are not true survivors, or those with an alternative agenda.

3. Yes, correct, we are being TOLD there is a pandemic.

4. Limiting the exits/salidas from your proper domain are of your choosing, yes, within the limits of the curfew passed by the government. There are still many hours available for you to seek information, in how to properly aid your respective life.

5. Social distancing, and wearing masks has been the substance of all conversations for the past several months now. What is new?

In conclusion, Mr. Boyter.......

1. Do you have anything of substance to offer to the DR1 community?

2. When is your flight home to Denmark scheduled for?

Have a great day. Enjoy it as you so see fit.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Read the numbers for Bulletin #148, as of 13 August 2020

Are the reported delays in test results, as reported above, regional specific? I, as well as employees, and associates of mine, have had several testings over the last 5 months......and, have not had to wait as long as 10 days for results.
It would be appreciated if the NAME AND LOCATION of the testing sites which take 10 days or longer, for results could be provided to the community.
I again forward this address as a service to the DR1 community......

I have 0 affiliation with this laboratory, other than being a patient myself.
I provide their e-address and information, as a service to this community.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
wait a second - wasn't it posted that they do home visits now... no more 'in lab' testing

it reads it above --- n o need to leave house if you don't want to

Reactions: Caonabo

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I dug up an article. Actually, there are quite of few.

Air Pollution and COVID-19: The Role of Particulate Matter in the Spread and Increase of COVID-19’s Morbidity and Mortality

Also, here's an article about one of my hang outs when I lived in that area. It usually has a loud, hazy, smoky atmosphere despite the air exchangers running. It proves nothing, but...

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Many here along the south eastern region, are currently speculating whether the curfew beginning at 2pm in some locations, will be extended nationwide beginning Tuesday.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

NEWS REGIONAL August 10, 2020Tourist relaunch of Sosúa is in danger due to weak authorities and disrespect of citizens to preventive measures of COVID-19
10-10-17-48-05-6224400.jpg

By: ANTONIO HEREDIA
PUERTO PLATA.- The lack of controls by the authorities is a breeding ground for the cases of the COVID-19 virus to continue to increase, which puts the relaunch of tourism and the residents of the municipality of Sosúa at risk.
According to the communicator and lawyer Fabio García, it is completely reckless that in the midst of the most serious attack of the Coronavirus, the authorities allow night business operations in various points of that town.
"Such is the lack of control that within the curfew in front of a fun business you can see great activity every night, even a pregnant woman at 9:11 PM selling sweets, but also most people walk without a mask", Garcia pointed out.
The arrival of dozens of young sex workers from different parts of the country is also denounced, who without any control and risking their own health act day and night, both inside and outside of entertainment businesses and lupanares.
It is warned that due to the softness of the competent authorities in Sosúa, a high number of citizens infected by the COVID-19 virus could arise, since there at all the sanitary restrictions contemplated in the state of emergency are not met and the curfew

By: ANTONIO HEREDIA PUERTO PLATA.- The lack of controls by the authorities is a breeding ground for the cases of the COVID-19 virus to continue increasing, which puts the relaunch of tourism and the residents of the municipality of Sosúa at risk. According to the communicator and lawyer Fabio García, it is completely reckless that in the midst of the most serious attack of the Coronavirus, the authorities allow night business operations in various points of that town. "Such is the lack of control that within the curfew in front of a fun business you can see great activity every night, even a pregnant woman at 9:11 PM selling sweets, but also most people walk without a mask", Garcia pointed out. The arrival of dozens of young sex workers from different parts of the country is also denounced, who without any control and risking their own health act day and night, both inside and outside of entertainment businesses and lupanares. It is warned that due to the softness of the competent authorities in Sosúa, a high number of citizens infected by the COVID-19 virus could emerge, since the sanitary restrictions contemplated in the state of emergency are not respected there at all and the curfew

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

NEWS REGIONAL August 10, 2020Tourist relaunch of Sosúa is in danger due to weak authorities and disrespect of citizens to preventive measures of COVID-19

No need to worry,
There are no tourists lining up to come to Sosua.
There never has been a relaunch,
because the volume of international tourists interested in Sosua as well as the international volume of flights,
Is negligible.

What indeed is reckless, is to bring in tourist from highly infected areas during CV19 by plane
And to endanger the lives of Dominican citizens.
The reasons why women prostitute themselves, is a lack of education and income producing jobs in the DR, to sustain their families.
Stop the pretend outrage and work on the real issues, which exist for decades in the DR and which are exacerbated by CV19 and poor gob.do management.

Status
Not open for further replies.