Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
After nine months, the DR has only managed to do 811,000 covid tests. It ranks #126 in the world in number of tests per million. I hope I'm wrong, but I unfortunately don't see the DR doing much better with the vaccine, maybe not even as well, and it will be the rich and connected that get the vaccine first.

This post is detached from any logic to my post... What exactly would test per million of population effect on the facts as posted??????

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This post is detached from any logic to my post... What exactly would test per million of population effect on the facts as posted??????
I'm not disputing what you said, but your logic is nothing more than wishful thinking. If the DR has only been able to test less than 10% of the population after 9 months, what makes you think they will do any better in giving vaccine shots?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I'm not disputing what you said, but your logic is nothing more than wishful thinking. If the DR has only been able to test less than 10% of the population after 9 months, what makes you think they will do any better in giving vaccine shots?
What does one thing have to do with the other? First off anyone that wants a test in the DR can get one. You only need to go to one of the many labs and clinics to get it. The vaccine will be in demand by the public, the test for Covid is not. Why test if you feel fine? Why pay also?

Most people here will get the vaccine. And the vast majority of those never bothered to get a test.

Reactions: windeguy

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Vaccination campaigns in the DR are very effective. I see no reason to think it would be any different this time around.

As a matter of fact, plenty of times I was a highly trained volunteer in many of those campaigns in the DR. We received training along medical staff on intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.

You needed all three depending on the type of vaccines and tests to be carried out during those campaigns.

The DR has the training and logistics to carry out national vaccination campaigns with a high level of security. Depending on the type of transportation, storage and point of administering, the DR has a network of clinics in the basic local micro level, hospitals and trauma centers at the city/municipality level and a very strong laboratory system.

The Moderna vaccine 💉 is the perfect candidate for the DR environment. Cheapest on logistics and secured delivery.

Same for Sputnik V.

Most of the population resists getting the covid-19 tests. They prefer to keep a low profile than the social stigma in their circles.

Most of the positive results are from actual cases of individuals that reached a health facility due to serious 🧐 symptoms.

The rest doesn’t want to get tested and carry on.

I see little push back against the vaccination.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vaccination campaigns in the DR are very effective. I see no reason to think it would be any different this time around.

As a matter of fact, plenty of times I was a highly trained volunteer in many of those campaigns in the DR. We received training along medical staff on intradermal, subcutaneous and intramuscular injections.

You needed all three depending on the type of vaccines and tests to be carried out during those campaigns.

The DR has the training and logistics to carry out national vaccination campaigns with a high level of security. Depending on the type of transportation, storage and point of administering, the DR has a network of clinics in the basic local micro level, hospitals and trauma centers at the city/municipality level and a very strong laboratory system.

The Moderna vaccine 💉 is the perfect candidate for the DR environment. Cheapest on logistics and secured delivery.

Same for Sputnik V.

Most of the population resists getting the covid-19 tests. They prefer to keep a low profile than the social stigma in their circles.

Most of the positive results are from actual cases of individuals that reached a health facility due to serious 🧐 symptoms.

I realize you probably lost your connections to the powers that be in the DR when the PLD was overthrown (I am still waiting on smart guns) , but just in case:

Since it appears the vaccine chosen for use in the DR from AstraZeneca may not get wide spread acceptance for some time because of how it was tested,, but it was already on order for 10 million units by the DR government, what will happen with that order and will the DR government switch to another vaccine source or sources?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What does one thing have to do with the other? First off anyone that wants a test in the DR can get one. You only need to go to one of the many labs and clinics to get it. The vaccine will be in demand by the public, the test for Covid is not. Why test if you feel fine? Why pay also?

Most people here will get the vaccine. And the vast majority of those never bothered to get a test.
I can't find it, but not according to an article that Dolores posted recently. Many people are trying to get a test and they can't due to a shortage of tests. The health minister pleaded with people not to get tested unless they had symptoms. The fact that people who want to get tests are in the minority but can't get them is even more concerning.

If they still don't have enough covid tests to test those that want them, what makes you so optimistic that they will have enough vaccines on hand?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can't find it, but not according to an article that Dolores posted recently. Many people are trying to get a test and they can't due to a shortage of tests. The health minister pleaded with people not to get tested unless they had symptoms. The fact that people who want to get tests are in the minority but can't get them is even more concerning.

If they still don't have enough covid tests to test those that want them, what makes you so optimistic that they will have enough vaccines on hand?
Mainly because they ordered 10,000,000 doses of the vaccine. They have done their job, now the Vaccine company has to do theirs.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am being hopeful that the Govt will want everyone to be vaccinated so will ensure that ultimately there is enough vaccine to give to everyone. Testing is expensive and offers little help except in the collection of data regarding case numbers. The Govt here does not do track and trace so the money and resources spent on testing really doesn't do much to curb disease spread. Thus far test numbers have been used solely to determine which provinces get locked down and when. I'm still not convinced that the test numbers are an accurate reflection of the prevalence of the disease in the population as a whole. Not enough tests being done and as others have said a shortage of testing supplies. For the longest time and maybe still, a doctor's prescription was needed to get a covid test at any of the public testing centers. The private labs will take money from anyone but many probably do not offer the PCR test.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Same for Sputnik V.

What was the scale of the previous vaccination campaigns and how long did it take?

Most of the small local clinics I've been to don't have computers. I'm sure the government wants to have all these vaccinations fully documented and entered into a government data base. How will these small clinics do that? I see the potential of peopkle with money getting preferential treatment.

Most people have resisted getting covid tests and there still not enough tests for the minority that does want them and the laboratories are swamped according to the article posted by Dolores.

How long do you estimate to get 50% of the population vaccinated?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Mainly because they ordered 10,000,000 doses of the vaccine. They have done their job, now the Vaccine company has to do theirs.
Just because they ordered it doesn't mean they will get it nor have I seen an estimate on how long it will all take to get get here. I don't see it all being delivered at once.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just because they ordered it doesn't mean they will get it nor have I seen an estimate on how long it will all take to get get here. I don't see it all being delivered at once.
Do you think the US will get a higher percentage of doses than the DR? I would like to bet high they cannot.

What you are talking about is true for EVERY Country in the World. Not just the DR. You want to knock the DR Gov. you need more than this........................They have done a lot better than most so far.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I realize you probably lost your connections to the powers that be in the DR when the PLD was overthrown (I am still waiting on smart guns) , but just in case:

Since it appears the vaccine chosen for use in the DR from AstraZeneca may not get wide spread acceptance for some time because of how it was tested,, but it was already on order for 10 million units by the DR government, what will happen with that order and will the DR government switch to another vaccine source or sources?

I was never a PLD insider or anything close to that. Simply put, my social circle had and still has access to the highest level of government.

Given the PRM is working on a totally refurbished congress, there are many actions that are far from being executed.

The smart guns didn’t fall by the sides. The manufacturer under the pilot went out of business and the other manufacturers lost interest in the same tech venture from client push back.

To give you some perspective of where I stand on Abinader today, you have to go back to the late 80’s when together with other actors I participated as a founder on the Movimiento de la identidad Dominicana, later evolved into Partido del Pueblo Dominicano, which flag I designed with a radiant Sun with a grey background for party colors.

Meaning “no se puede tapar el Sol con un dedo” as motto.

The party soon after on preparation to the 1990 elections, came to infighting. A large sector wanted to back the candidacy of Jose Abinader (present day president Luis Abinader’s father)under his own party and party leaders backing Rafael Albuquerque for the same elections.

Needless to say the bulk of members did vote for Abinader in the elections, save for a few hundreds for the party candidate. It was a disaster the party never recovered from.

Namely Dr. Aulio Collado, from the PPD, was a very close friend for many years of the late Abinader. I came across on many meetings around Santiago with the late Abinader. Very well articulated man.

That was about the only time I got deep involved in any political thing in the DR. Or any party for that matter.

The selection of a vaccine has more to do with actual availability and supply, rather than any promises made to the effect.

The contract only guarantees a certain number of them on a specific time span.

The secured deposit only means that, a security deposit. There are terms in case the contract is terminated by either side.

I welcome whichever we can get first, as we’re prepared for either one.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

You can get tested in a few minutes at home...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Do you think the US will get a higher percentage of doses than the DR? I would like to bet high they cannot.

What you are talking about is true for EVERY Country in the World. Not just the DR. You want to knock the DR Gov. you need more than this........................They have done a lot better than most so far.
I have no idea what relative percentage the US will get. Quit trying to read things into what I said. I'm not knocking anybody.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You can get tested in a few minutes at home...
You didn't answer my question and how much time round trip does it take a nurse to come to your home and do that? You keep ignoring the fact that it was reported that many people who want a test can't get because they're short of tests. The health minister has asked people not to do tests for that reason unless they have symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.