Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There are no falsehoods to it being lethal for the elderly.

My mom is 84+ yo and I don’t mind restricting the normality for her to continue to add more years to the tally.

Do I think 🤔 it could be done less draconian? Yes I do, but knowing my people here I doubt they would listen to reason one bit.

Reactions: XTraveller

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Again, the reason the dead toll on the DR is much less than in US or EU has more to do with the population age distribution, rather than deadliness of the virus.

We have a younger population, therefore the death rate is much lower, same deadliness based on age structure.
Or maybe Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine, used early on in the first treatment worked

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Was in Sosua from Wed until Sunday of last week.
Asked many people. No one knows anyone who has
it or has had it. Not trying to say no one up there
is sick with it but if they are, their local community
is doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.
Not to forget that in general the Dominican culture will not be honest about if a family member is sick with covid-19 or cancer or HIV.
This may not be to every Dominican but from personal experience if a neighbor is taken to hospital with fever and difficulty breathing the family would say "gripe" or "lung problems" which the person never experienced before. Note this is my observation in my neighbourhood and may be different in your neighborhood.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects​

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Again, the reason the dead toll on the DR is much less than in US or EU has more to do with the population age distribution, rather than deadliness of the virus.

We have a younger population, therefore the death rate is much lower, same deadliness based on age structure.
And no long term care homes!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Was in Sosua from Wed until Sunday of last week.
Asked many people. No one knows anyone who has
it or has had it. Not trying to say no one up there
is sick with it but if they are, their local community
is doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.
How can anyone know how many have had a disease which normally presents as asymptomatic?

The best guess made so far by the CDC in the US is that 0.6% of the people in the world that actually get the disease will die from it.
WAY back after a couple of months into the pandemic and hearing about how many people never showed symptoms or those with mild symptoms, I estimated it was 0.5% of those who actually got it would die (1 in 200) and is quite different from using the number of known cases that are reported in the media which still shows a much higher "death rate".

In the DR we can never know how many people had CV19. It is simply an impossibility to know this number through any means other than a guess. I guess you could call that "keeping it under wraps", but nobody knows.

Reactions: drstock

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
How can anyone know how many have had a disease which normally presents as asymptomatic?

The best guess made so far by the CDC in the US is that 0.6% of the people in the world that actually get the disease will die from it.
WAY back after a couple of months into the pandemic and hearing about how many people never showed symptoms or those with mild symptoms, I estimated it was 0.5% of those who actually got it would die (1 in 200) and is quite different from using the number of known cases that are reported in the media which still shows a much higher "death rate".

In the DR we can never know how many people had CV19. It is simply an impossibility to know this number through any means other than a guess. I guess you could call that "keeping it under wraps", but nobody knows.

Same way you do mass infections/casualty estimating...

The factor for DR is at around 20 x 1. In a conservative figure of propagation based on strict guidelines imposed so far.

The worst estimate is 35 x 1 in a mutated fast contagious 😷 environment.

The estimates are supported by the speed of infections present in the second and third waves. The DR is on the second wave, meaning our infection/casualty rate indicates a lesser magnitude of critically ill propagation.

This is backed by the demographics based on age for the DR. Each time around there are less and less potential hosts that enable the worst possible outcomes of said infections due to being the younger population.

Reactions: jd426

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

The factor for DR is at around 20 x 1. In a conservative figure of propagation based on strict guidelines imposed so far.

The estimates are supported by the speed of infections present in the second and third waves. The DR is on the second wave, meaning our infection/casualty rate indicates a lesser magnitude of critically ill propagation.

This is backed by the demographics based on age for the DR. Each time around there are less and less potential hosts that enable the worst possible outcomes of said infections due to being the younger population.
New Zealand is an island with a young population. The median age a few years ago was around 35. Their experience is similar to what is occurring in the DR. Low infections and low death rates. NZ locked down earlier than the DR but the DR’s curfew is stricter and longer than NZ’s lockdown. Youth appears to be a positive survival factor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Like I said, it is purely a guess. At least when I estimated, I had numbers from around the world to deal with and eventually the CDC came out with a number that was different by 0.1 per cent. In the DR, nobody has a clue.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (December 23)

The following information has been updated on the Embassy Santo Domingo COVID-19 website:

• On December 23, the Dominican government instituted restrictions on airports in Punta Cana, Santiago, and Santo Domingo permitting only ONE person to accompany travelers inside the airport for arrivals or departures. One additional person can accompany travelers by vehicle but will not be allowed access inside the terminals. Cell phone use is not permitted inside the airports.
  • Airports remain fully operational, however flights to and from the United Kingdom have been suspended.
  • Starting January 1, all passengers are required to fill out an E-Ticket when entering or exiting the Dominican Republic. For each entry and exit a new E Ticket is required and the code generated upon form completion can be presented at the airport on a digital device.
  • The Dominican Republic has 162,496 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 2,398 confirmed deaths.

There is a Level 3 Travel Advisory recommending U.S. citizens reconsider travel to the Dominican Republic due to health and safety measures and COVID-19-related conditions.

Actions to Take:

· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.

· Dial *462 to reach the COVID-19 hotline in the Dominican Republic for specific instructions if you have been exposed or are experiencing severe symptoms. Note: English-speaking operators are limited.

· All U.S. citizens must follow the restrictions put in place by the Government of the Dominican Republic.

· Flights remain available to the United States. Check with the airlines directly regarding booking flights.

· Have a plan to depart from the Dominican Republic that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.

· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Dominican Republic.

· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest travel information and other global impacts.

· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Assistance:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From some new regulations as mentioned above by the US Embassy in the DR:

- Cell phone use is not permitted inside the airports.
  • Starting January 1, all passengers are required to fill out an E-Ticket when entering or exiting the Dominican Republic. For each entry and exit a new E Ticket is required and the code generated upon form completion can be presented at the airport on a digital device.

What's up with banning cell phone usage at those airports? The government not wanting to show what is going on?

And how do you show the new digital only sign in document if you don't have your cell phone on to show it?
Yet another only in the DR thing where one hand does not (want to) know what the other is doing.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Alert – U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo (December 23)

The following information has been updated on the Embassy Santo Domingo COVID-19 website:

• On December 23, the Dominican government instituted restrictions on airports in Punta Cana, Santiago, and Santo Domingo permitting only ONE person to accompany travelers inside the airport for arrivals or departures. One additional person can accompany travelers by vehicle but will not be allowed access inside the terminals. Cell phone use is not permitted inside the airports.
  • Airports remain fully operational, however flights to and from the United Kingdom have been suspended.
  • The Dominican Republic has 162,496 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 2,398 confirmed deaths.

There is a Level 3 Travel Advisory recommending U.S. citizens reconsider travel to the Dominican Republic due to health and safety measures and COVID-19-related conditions.
I think they should rephrase that and tell US citizens that, if they must travel, they should go to the DR where the risk of infection is less than in the US.

Reactions: SKY
Status
Not open for further replies.