Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CV19
I read an article that reported on a recent study indicating the the virus seems to 'dose-dependent'
meaning that various levels of infections can take place - as with the common flu.
Mild and severe ....

Just a brief encounter might lead to a 'softer/milder' version w/ CV19
Sleeping w/ an infected person(or other extended close contact) will deliver a more severe case.

Close contact includes an extended conversation at close quarters
Most of us are maintaining our distances these days and probably reducing 'talk time'

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
All of the NSAIDs like any medication gets processed by the liver. Smallest effective dose for the shortest period of time. Many of the NSAIDs are hard on the lining of the stomach as well and can cause gastritis and promote the formation of stomach ulcers. Best to take these over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killers with food in the stomach and again only as often as really needed up to the max recommended dose and frequency. These drugs don't stop the pain, they just mask it. You still hurt, you just don't feel it as much. As for fever, I'm not sure of the mechanism involved in that process.

Reactions: JD Jones

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Last I checked "night" doesn't start at 4 PM when you must exit the beach on weekends.

You are asked to leave at 4 pm on the weekend so you have time to get home and off the streets when the curfew starts an hour later. Whether you leave the beach and go home seems to be a separate and apparently optional decision people make.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Acetaminophen and paracetamol are the generic names for the medication. Tylenol is the best known brand name. The most common European equivalent is Panadol.
Panadol contains a lot of other things besides acetaminophen. It's not really an equivalent.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some like ibuprofen can help reduce swelling and inflammation.
There are several good ones for anti-inflammation if you have real issues. Loxofen (with codeine) & Arcoxia are life savers if you have torn something or really have bad inflammation form strain or arthiritis.
The Arcoxia in the 90 mg or 120 mg (it is not cheap) but it can raise the dead.
It's a German drug, not approved by the FDA - but man does that stuff work.

There are side effects to everything you take.
What are the side effects of constant pain ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are several good ones for anti-inflammation if you have real issues. Loxofen (with codeine) & Arcoxia are life savers if you have torn something or really have bad inflammation form strain or arthiritis.
The Arcoxia in the 90 mg or 120 mg (it is not cheap) but it can raise the dead.
It's a German drug, not approved by the FDA - but man does that stuff work.

There are side effects to everything you take.
What are the side effects of constant pain ?
I was prescribed loxofen for my knee (torn cartilage) but it made me nauseous. I gave it to our maid for her impacted wisdom tooth and it worked like a charm for her.

Oct 11, 2010
All of the NSAIDs like any medication gets processed by the liver. Smallest effective dose for the shortest period of time. Many of the NSAIDs are hard on the lining of the stomach as well and can cause gastritis and promote the formation of stomach ulcers. Best to take these over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killers with food in the stomach and again only as often as really needed up to the max recommended dose and frequency. These drugs don't stop the pain, they just mask it. You still hurt, you just don't feel it as much. As for fever, I'm not sure of the mechanism involved in that process.
Just so that there isn't any confusion, acetaminophen/paracetamol is not an NSAID and is usually well tolerated gastrointestinally.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), Naproxen (Aleve) ARE NSAIDs and carry the gastrointestinal caveats but are better tolerated by the liver.

Keeping this Coronavirus related, Ibuprofen has been and is being studied for efficacy in treating Covid-19.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Panadol contains a lot of other things besides acetaminophen. It's not really an equivalent.

That is true (not the part that it's not equivalent), but the same way as Winasorb (not sure, I believe that is from Panama??) contains caffeine along with acetaminophen, the ingredient that gives that desired effect, remains paracetamol/acetaminophen. There are also here different things available that come in the form of a tee or something, that are pain killers when you have the flu or something like that, but it's always important to note what is the main ingredient behind the brands and colours and extra ingredients.

From Wikipedia: "Paracetamol is available as a generic medication, with brand names including Tylenol and Panadol among others "

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was prescribed loxofen for my knee (torn cartilage) but it made me nauseous. I gave it to our maid for her impacted wisdom tooth and it worked like a charm for her.
Strange - other than eliminating my shoulder pain from old rotator cuff surgery I experience no side effects.
Try not to mix it with Brugal Bob

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just out of curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, how big were the doses, frequency and duration?

I am trying to remember.... 500 size pills (mg's?) 2 at a time frequently for a few days... several

My fever was 104F and fell back to 101/102.... for week or so
About 11-12 days of illness.... terrible headaches.... couldn't comb your hair type

My Feb bout was almost the same -- might have been CV19

103-104 fever, sleepy every 3 hrs and nothing above my neck - all chest
My lungs whistled when I exhaled
Went on for 8-9 days

I missed my granddaughter's birth

It was bad

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Has this thread got anything to do with Covid any more? Seems to be a lot of talk about medication for other purposes.

It's straying a bit and my trigger finger is getting itchy but learning about local medications available for pain relief is related.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My wife read a news story about a lady who died last Feb. Her surviving son was contacted by Public health to advise of his Mother's recent positive CV-19 test. Of course someone else got that test and was using the dead lady's identity.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My wife read a news story about a lady who died last Feb. Her surviving son was contacted by Public health to advise of his Mother's recent positive CV-19 test. Of course someone else got that test and was using the dead lady's identity.
I read that too. I think that it is a scam from people looking for insurance money or to trick someone one out of personal information or it is a concerted effort to run up the number of Covid cases (at least in the US)

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
2nd highest day for new cases was on the 3rd. The graphs rise and shallow. Not much of a downward decline here.

Status
Not open for further replies.