Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Using masks is just one tool in the toolbox, Bob. If you're going to fix a problem that requires a few tools, you have to use all of them or you can't fix the problem.
I am aware of that but I also know the masks, if the right type and fitted properly will help but not prevent you from getting or spreading covid. Most people don't wear the correct type nor do they wear them properly.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As in 'Rise Up From The Grave'?
Like Lazarus

Reminds me of the old adage..... Dead men tell no tales

Hard to rise up from a hospital bed

hahaha
I like it on this side of the grass!!!
Sounds spooky.
I've been so concerned
about getting sick and
dying from covid, I have
been wearing a mask lately
when I cook for myself.
Do you think I am overreacting
or is this the best way to
continue protecting myself
from getting myself sick?

I must admit, having the
delivery guy bring me my
groceries everyday is a little
worrisome as I have no idea
how many people he comes
in contact with on a daily basis

Sheltering in place (until hell freezes
over) is the best way to avoid contact
with people who are sick with covid....
Right?

• Love
Reactions: jd426

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think there could be another lockdown and maybe them closing border. Because of international pressure.

Reactions: Michael DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're a mask expert now? Credible Doctors and scientists say otherwise so you'll have to pardon all of us that disagree with you and follow the Science ;)
So you want to follow the science. There are literal hundreds of articles by medical experts that say masks are better than no masks but not very effective. I follow the rules and wear my K95 mask everywhere required. I put more faith in building up my immune system. ( Science also says that's the right thing to do). I would say I am an expert but I had a course from 3M on mask fitment for confined spaces use so I do know more than the average joe.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
To protect the patients from bacteria....etc. Nobody say masks are completely useless just not that protective against a virus smaller than the masks ability to filter.
its actually as simple as Moisture droplets ( 5 microns) , and the size of the Virus ( .3 Microns) which is much smaller than moisture droplets , but it is inside the moisture being breathed out, and then in.
Doctors and Nurses DO protect themselves with
1)- a PROFESSIONAL Mask N95 or better
2)- worn Properly...
3)- worn 100% of the time when in work situation
ie. they protect themselves .. others are not protecting them with THEIR Idiotic Masks worn in Idiotic ways ..
99 % wear a mask incorrectly, and most everyone in the general population is part of that 99 %
The Doctors and Professional are ALL within that 1 % who wear the right mask, and wear it Properly ..

u just cant explain this stuff to some people here ,as the comments clearly show ..

• Haha
Reactions: GusFring

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are you really trying to say that you know more or better than experts Bob?

I will quit wasting my precious time arguing with you and yours, so arrogant as to think they know better than their betters ;)

Please quit posting lies and misrepresenting science. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/problem-thinking-know-experts

Peace and adios
Bob wrote: There are literally hundreds of articles by medical experts that say masks are better than no masks but not very effective. And
Nobody say masks are completely useless just not that protective against a virus smaller than the masks ability to filter.

All three of the articles you posted say literally the same thing. Using a mask helps protect if it's the right kind of mask.

Using a mask helps protect if it's the right kind of mask. Enough already.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is simply amazing that some of you will argue endlessly over the stupidest of beliefs and misunderstandings. Yes masks are a benefit to those wearing one and those around them if the mask is worn properly. Some types of masks are better suited to this task than others. Wearing a mask is not a 100% guarantee - it is just an added layer of protection. You wear a mask to help protect yourself and to help protect others. You do not wear a mask because you are incredibly naive or completely misinformed and unsympathetic of the welfare of others. There is no other credible argument to be made. The DR requires the wearing of masks when around others except when eating or drinking. The educated wear masks and endure the discomfort because they know while not a perfect defense against infection there is some demonstrable benefit for the wearer. How much of a benefit is open to debate but there is undoubtedly some benefit to wearing a mask if worm properly and of the correct type. Mask wearers primarily wear them for their own protection. Some acknowledge that wearing a mask is also beneficial to others they encounter or interact with.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I'm curious about this. What part of "covid" stops you from coming? Air travel, curfews, or...
# 1 reason is family here, 2nd reason is the 14 day quaratine when returning to Canada. Of course there are no flights from Canada going to POP either at the moment. I had taken 2 weeks vacation starting October 27th to come.
If i was single and no family to harras me i would find a way. I do not particulary feel unsafe to travel.

Reactions: bob saunders

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
# 1 reason is family here, 2nd reason is the 14 day quaratine when returning to Canada. Of course there are no flights from Canada going to POP either at the moment. I had taken 2 weeks vacation starting October 27th to come.
If i was single and no family to harras me i would find a way. I do not particulary feel unsafe to travel.
Covid does put in some obstacles for traveling internationally. You really have to want to or need to. As I see it only Americans seem to have an easy access to the DR.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Answer me this, if masks work why is there a reason to close the economy?

Which fully closed economy are you referring to? Based on what I've seen, many places where wearing masks has not been that much followed rule, are having much higher infection rates... Please also note that masks are just one thing, as you nicely put in your other post, it's still better to follow the other recommendations as well...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I am aware of that but I also know the masks, if the right type and fitted properly will help but not prevent you from getting or spreading covid. Most people don't wear the correct type nor do they wear them properly.

I agree with you, this is a huge issue... IMO, there has been put way too little emphasis on the right kind of mask ((K)N95)... I see very many people here with one of those blue masks, and as far as I know, those are certainly not rated for anything?

Reactions: jd426

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All the 'parsing' aside -
from what I have read, ANY mouth/nose protection is better than bareback .... yes quality varies... for sure.

And again... all aside... Rep Dom is doing an above average job of containing this
POP is a bad hot spot -- WHY???... you tell me

And I think Jamao area isn't good eiher....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would feel much better if we had an effective knockdown treatment for CV19 that was being successfully used around the world. While a working and safe vaccine that proves to be 90% effective is a game changer, I believe that we need an effective treatment as a fallback and not just place our entire set of hopes on any vaccine. Even if the best possible vaccine becomes available, it will take a long time to make and distribute it to enough people to begin seeing infection rates plummet to the levels govts and their people are looking for. In the meantime those who catch CV19 still need to be treated and I am not aware of a consensus on how that should be done.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
90% effective... a little hope for DR..
90% is unexpected and astounding.
If it hold true the Pfizer vaccine could end the virus even with a good number of blockheads refusing the immunization.

Could all of the naysayers, herd immunity proponents, Ivermectin supporters and contrarians be wrong!!!
Modern medicine, wow.
Todays MSM also reports finding Remdesivir is moderately effective so the blockheads will be treated post vaccine they refused.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
90% effective... a little hope for DR..
Pfizer. I wonder if we can expect it to be less than $100 bucks?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
90% is unexpected and astounding.
If it hold true the Pfizer vaccine could end the virus even with a good number of blockheads refusing the immunization.

Could all of the naysayers, herd immunity proponents, Ivermectin supporters and contrarians be wrong!!!
Modern medicine, wow.
Todays MSM also reports finding Remdesivir is moderately effective so the blockheads will be treated post vaccine they refused.
An effective vaccine is a way of achieving herd immunity. If a vaccine is effective, it will take years to get to herd immunity using the vaccine.
Hopefully that mutated mink strain of CV19 is contained in Denmark, or another vaccine development would likely be necessary.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
An effective vaccine is a way of achieving herd immunity.
If people take it. 45% get flu shot.
No where near enough for herd immunity.

I missed two small words in the Pfizer announcement, "more than" 90% effective.
What a great day for about 45% of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.