Cost of living- breakdown

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
cheers Mike, I'll do some research on Santiago... Thanks for your help.

Lon(numbers) , you are absolutely right! I am all you said! lol. Soz... Had to be said lmao! Are you living in DR?

Rob mentioned big differences in terms of rent. I can 'get' that touristy towns will be more expensive... And the capital, but can anyone expand on this?

Warm regards,

Cheryl

R

rockero

I Am trying under a 1000 is that possible too?????
In MY humble opinion, coming to the DR with less than US $4,000 (?2,500) would be almost suicidal EVEN if you had a job paying US $800 per month.

Have your annual holiday here, do some volunteer work, get to know the people & who, what, where to associate with & stay in the UK to get your qualifications 'beyond reproach'! Save up some ?3,000 over the next two years & THEN come to live here for 6 months as a trial - to see if you can make it on US &1,000 per month!

I promise you, failing a nuclear war worldwide (& will UK survive such a war?) the Dominican Republic will still be here in 3 or 4 years time! :ermm: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You're situation is greatly different than mine, as I have 3 children that I provide for single-handedly. And they make up the bulk of my expenses.
If you come from a 1st world country you tend to lean towards what you know...so I spend more than the average person in groceries, buying the brand names that I recognize and trust. My expenses will decrease almost by half as this year I am sending my children to a Dominican private school instead of an International one. All I can say was that I thought that I could live on less, but I couldn't...you may be different. Also my kids are used to eating out and movie on fridays or Saturdays and TGI Fridays (their favorite) is not cheap. :)
But I am sure you will do fine but I can tell you, please be realistic.
But then again, I don't know anything, I just live here.
So you may want to listen to everyone who is telling you that it will be all peaches and cream...there are lots of Pawn shops around if you get in a bind (at least in Santiago);):cheeky:;):cheeky:
SHALENA

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
rockero,

I think some comments were made earlier on this thread w.r.g : living on 1000... The general consensus of opinion seems to be that this is the MINIMUM you need to live on, and that's being frugal... I.E: eating at home, a couple of drinks out, but not spending $100 on a bender, using public transport, such as guagua, (bus) and moto concho,(motorbike taxi), etc. Also important to live as close as poss to where you work, and really look round/make contacts 'in the know' who can point you to safe accom, as cheap as poss.

Shalena... Thanks for posting back. You certainly have more responsibility than me and I can understand how children's demands, re: entertainment can be hard.... Maybe they need to understand this better so you're not under as much pressure to try to accomodate a 1st world standard of living, in a 3rd world country! I'm not in any way making any judgements, as I dont have children myself... Just trying to help- feel free to ignore! lol

Please dont post negative posts on here about how no-one listens to you. I have not once suggested I wouldnt/wont listen, have I?

Keep in contact and we'll try and help each other...

Warm regards,

Cheryl

?

? bient?t

So you may want to listen to everyone who is telling you that it will be all peaches and cream...there are lots of Pawn shops around if you get in a bind (at least in Santiago);):cheeky:;):cheeky:
SHALENA

Let's be fair, SKing: I read 'em all, and did not find anything remotely close to "it will be all peaches and cream."

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Please dont post negative posts on here about how no-one listens to you. I have not once suggested I wouldnt/wont listen, have I?

No you haven't, in fact I'd be tempted to guess you trained as a social worker or a diplomat somewhere along the line, because you're doing a sterling job in valuing all contributions to the thread.

FWIW peaches in the main are imported and thus would be more expensive so 'mangos and cream' would be cheaper ;). It's a mindset thing.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Ha, ha Lambada, you crack me up! Nah, never been a social worker, I'm afraid.... I've worked in sales though! lol... And everyone's comments are welcome- even negative ones, that I may not want to hear, as they help give an overall view.... even though I love peaches and cream! lol

Only jokin...

At the end of the day, I'm a newbie, and anyone who lives in the DR, or has come across different research/info/experiences they'd like to share... PLEASE POST!! All these different perspectives, choices of how people live, why and how much it costs; and sometimes, implications of those choices; good or bad... creates the facets that make up a truer picture of the costs of living in the DR.

Oh, and I love lychees... I bet they cost a bomb to import! lol

Getting back to it, here's some questions:

1.) Does anyone have any EXAMPLES of expectations of a particular area of cost of living, whereby it was way more expensive, or much cheaper?? How was the issue resolved, if necessary, what would they do different, etc??? For example, finding good, affordable accommodation, adapting their way of living to suit the DR as a 3rd world country, etc??

2.) Does anyone know of anyone living on $500- $1000 per month and can give a breakdown on their costs and an idea of standard of living? (Private info kept off the thread, please.)

3.) I am hoping to save a contingency fund, for coming out to teach for a year, of ?3000. This is due to the low salary of a private teacher and also both SKing and Grahame, (Bushbaby) have mentioned a strong necessity for this fall back... and I agree. But what does one do, if you want to MOVE to the DR for the forseeable future? (Given that I cannot endlessly save before arriving, for future years' necessary contingency plan!- If I understood their advice correctly...) Is it possible for a first year teacher to 'upgrade' to an International school, to gain the (SLIGHTLY!!) more 'comfortable' salary, based on experience at private schools, alone?? Over what timescale. I understand it's based on your ability as a teacher, but does it happen often??

Anything else you guys would like to add re cost of living, love to hear it!

Warm regards,

Cheryl

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Getting back to it, here's some questions:

1.) Does anyone have any EXAMPLES of expectations of a particular area of cost of living, whereby it was way more expensive, or much cheaper?? How was the issue resolved, if necessary, what would they do different, etc??? For example, finding good, affordable accommodation, adapting their way of living to suit the DR as a 3rd world country, etc??

I think you will find that most of the main costs where things are much more expensive come if you own your own house or car. ie something breaks down like the water pump, or somethings goes wrong with the car. if you have no transport of your own and you have rented accommodation the only bolt from the blue would probably be medical costs in the event of an emergency and you should be able to cover this with insurance. Flights back to Uk can be expensive though.

2.) Does anyone know of anyone living on $500- $1000 per month and can give a breakdown on their costs and an idea of standard of living? (Private info kept off the thread, please.)

i would think that 500 us$ a month is not possible. Most of your expenses will go on rent. you can eat cheaply as long as you do not look for named brands.

3.) I am hoping to save a contingency fund, for coming out to teach for a year, of ?3000. This is due to the low salary of a private teacher and also both SKing and Grahame, (Bushbaby) have mentioned a strong necessity for this fall back... and I agree. But what does one do, if you want to MOVE to the DR for the forseeable future? (Given that I cannot endlessly save before arriving, for future years' necessary contingency plan!- If I understood their advice correctly...) Is it possible for a first year teacher to 'upgrade' to an International school, to gain the (SLIGHTLY!!) more 'comfortable' salary, based on experience at private schools, alone?? Over what timescale. I understand it's based on your ability as a teacher, but does it happen often??

The international school here in Juan Dolio does not insist on teaching qualifications at all. I have no idea if all schools do. In fact as far as I am aware most of the teachers have no qualifications.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's what been written in prior posts,
or maybe between the lines.
you save the bucks to have backup for a year plus return ticket prepaid and a good medical insurance paid for that year.
you come over.
you look for a job, do it best you can and after a year you will see where that job brought you to, you will see if the employers offer you a significant raise of your beginners salary towards an professional's salary aso aso, so you can decide then to use the return ticket back home or grab the chance and work your way throu.
Yes,
i know a good sized bunch of expats who live down here in the 500to 1K range,
some are so called/self decided "real estate agents", many others are employess at local divecenters.
very most of them are not around for long, usual working time at their companies are 6-12 months, then the employer takes the next ones to put on slavery.
they live on that salary, and they are happy with it.
it depends what somebody wanna reach in his/her life as a selfset goal.
they all run the same risk, the main reason why they are down without funds and no connection/family to assist after 6-12 months is, that risk is that they may loose their job for whatever reason, they did not plan that situation as a possibility while working and living happily on 500-1000, never more than 5-20.000 pesos on the side/bank/under the mattress. so at the moment of unemployment their "savings" last for a couple weeks hanging out/drinking/wining to everybody how unfair they been treated, and boom, the landlord asks for the next months rent and all is done.
it is up to each individual person which kinda way is acceptable or not, which is the destin or not.
i know several people down here, specially from the divers community, who live since many long years on the 500-1000 monthly income, towards the 1000 during peak season when more comissions/extras/sales/tips pay off, more towards the 500 during the long lasting low seasons when their jobs are more a boring 'killing time' than work. they loose one job and a few weeks later they get a similar one at the next shop, b/c they kept a good reputation at the last employment. but one thing is always the same:
it is not enough to start "savings", so at the moment they are without a job for more than a couple weeks they are on the 'buttom' point, need to ask for a few hundred pesos around aso aso.
there are so many things which can go wrong on a employment/reasons why it get's finished, i would myself not like to live that way, but many do and are happy with that.
it depends what you await yourself for yourself, what you expect/wanna reach.
if you want to be a professional teacher at a good international school which pays a top salary you def need to work your way up the ladder, as a newby on that job/first year teacher that means you first have to find a job at such school, without the 'decent life' salary in mind, and then with time you show due to your improving work that you are capable of higher grounds.
such does usually not happen within a few months.
i guess a new teacher may be able to reach in one full year, when solved successful with kids and parents happy, the point to get a real full employment, for a better salary than the one year first time one, but still far from a top salary of course.
like on all other professions,
it doesn't come over night and it is not waiting out there for you, it comes with time and hard work.
and for that time without the top salary set as a final destin, you need the backup funds people like Grahame correctly and by experience recommended, and Grahame's numbers are minimum backup numbers, IMO he did by far not overdo the numbers, they are very reasonable calculated and needed.
as a new first year teacher you are not entering some kinda 'niche' on the market, half of english speaking 'movers' name themselves 'possible english teachers', even that many have trouble to find the right words or pronounciations for their simple written english conversations when asking advice on the forum(not meant to you directly of course, that's general), and even if good in english they forget that a 'good english teacher' also would need 'perfect reading/writing/spelling/understanding/explaining/teaching spanish knowledge', or how they plan to 'teach' their perfect english to a spanish speeking, still NO-English speaking, kid?
so for a top salary seeking teacher from a english spoken country i guess a degree in spanish teaching/at least perfect speaking of the language, would be a basic thingy, so a school can consider that person for a top salary 'maybe'.
Mike

R

rockero

Hi to all I will have like about under 900 a month every month this is more then 500 will this do it??????

R

rockero

WELL Brother I contacted Hans last night too and he has not even responded to me,,,I always here his place is booked solid,,,I mean Santo Domingo is like 2 million people Hans cant be the only place in all of SD That Rents the cheapest for 240 a month,,,Its that HaRD in 3rd World DR???????????????

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
he's for sure not the only one renting 250 bucks per month spots in SD with a maybe 2 and maybe even 3 millions of habitants.
there are even cheaper lodging possibilities around the capital/around the whole Isle.
here on the east and sure everywhere else on the island, there are rooms for rent for 4000 pesos a month and even less, it just depends what is looked for and what comfort is expected.

btw,
who is Hans??
Mike

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Hey,
First, Matilda, thanks for the post... and good advice. I am nowhere near to being able to afford either a house or a car, so good to see I may cut out some of the big 'shocks' that could potentially knock me off my feet! I hadnt really thought about budgeting from that perspective, given I do not have the financial means at the mo to buy a house or car... interesting. Would like to buy a moped in the (distant)future, but will deal with life one dream at a time!! lol... I thought I'd save a fund of ?1500 to cover rent in a studio for 10 months teaching, and take it from there. I'd therefore have my salary, ($500- $1000 per month) to live on... A friend of mine is renting a very small studio, but including elec and laundry for around ?150 per month, so I'm basing this calculation on this... obviously time for hunting when I visit. Its interesting what you say with regads to teachers and level of qualifications... I've studied with Cambridge to teach English as a foreign language, but no quals (yet- starting in Sept) with regards to teaching primary, or secondary school. I know I'll be a good teacher- it came naturally to me during teaching practice, but that's the point... I WILL be a good teacher, once equipped- maybe bushbaby's right regarding sorting quals first... just seems a long way away, (4 years)...

On the other hand, Mike, I see your view.. and thanks for the example. I'll make sure I have more money than 'those ill-equipped' on 20.000 pesos, max. I'd like to make it work permanently if poss, although 'test run' for a year, to see if that's what I really want. I've certainly no intention of being anyone's slave, (lol!) but material wealth is not THAT important to me- it's more about proving you can do something, improve, attain career goals...

I agree re: the general public thinking (en mass) that they want to move to a nice sunny island, and 'I'll be a teacher'!! Its down to the schools to suss out those that can. I AM English, and whilst absolutely no-one's English is perfect, (not even the Queen, I'm afraid!) I hope mine would be considered 'above average'! lol. As far as teaching as a foreign language is concerned, its fairly simple. Do NOT teach how we (in the UK) were taught foreign languages- chanting verb drills, no context, etc... Teach how you LEARNT your mother-tongue! When I was teaching, I had a whole range of nationalities within one class; which brought their own problems regarding pronunciation, etc. The best way, is NOT to translate.... Therefore, provided you learn to structure your lesson plan and integrate it into a given syllabus or learning goal, you can teach English successfully, to any age-group, in any country, without knowing a word of their native language, (although you may feel a little bit disassociated and lonely upon leaving the class-room!)

On that, does anyone know anything about companies requiring freelance business English instruction for their executives/employees?? Just a thought...

Maybe it's a case of 'suck it and see'... A combination of advice so far...
1.) Save up a contingency, to avoid desperation/ leaving early/ dealing with the unexpected, etc. (?2,000-?4,000 ish?)
2.) Save ?1500 to cover rent of a studio for 10 months and keep this joint cash in British account.
3.) Try the job/country/way of life and sample living on a low budget for real... someone said something about needing to experience costs, etc for yourself, as I'm an individual with individual needs/boundaries, etc.
4) Use this time to 'throw myself' into teaching, and attempt to make contacts and begin a good reputation.
5.) Then, if I want to progress to another level after a year and leave my current school; network, approach and find out what the reaction is!!
6.) Worse case scenario, I can always get home, continue study and 're-start' again??

I guess what I've learnt so far, is that you can't prepare for everything that's going to happen in the future, you can just be sensible?

Hmmm.... Any thoughts??

Warm regards,

Cheryl

Last edited:

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Roommates

Whenever I read one of these threads about living cheaply it seems to be always assumed that the person must live by themselves. When I was in my 20's and 30's in the US I always had roommates to reduce expenses. Rent/utilities are are largest fixed expense and you can greatly reduce them by sharing a living space.

With the Peace Corp or a lot of college programs they always try to get people to take a room with a local family - both for the added experience of being 'embedded' in the community and because it's a lot cheaper.

If I was trying to live in the DR on less than $1000 a month my first thought would be what's the best way to get a room from someone or find roommate(s). If you are just scraping by the first luxury to jettison is the luxury of living alone.

This may not be as easy with dependents but that's not the case here or in many other threads. Single females have advantages and disadvantages in shared living. They generally have to be a bit more careful but are also somewhat more trusted.

If you can get the monthly payment for a bed and kitchen privileges down to $300 or less then $1000 seems a lot more realistic. Beyond that if you can find a roommate that you get along with, you can save on lots of other things besides rent - and get improved home security and company for free. Correct me if I've got it wrong but it seems like this is true for most Dominicans too. It's a lot more expensive to live by yourself - it's a luxury people on tight budgets generally can't afford.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
manzana,

You raise an ineresting point re: sharing and the benfits involved, such as integration, company, shared expenses, and a possibly better accom. than a studio, which is what I'd be looking at. As I said a friend of mine is staying ina studio and passed me their details, and including elec, water, rent and laundry, it's about 4,000 pesos per month...? I am a little reluctant to share, owing to the negatives. For example, I'm sharing with a friend right now, in England, who I've known for years; she thinks its fine to bring back quite a few different men back to OUR house, and even has left one of them in our house, while neither of us are in, waiting for her to get back. She's young and refuses to listen so I now have to finish the remainder of the rent contract, then sort an alternative! Its completely irresponsible! So my question is, how do you go out to find a room-mate, PRACTICALLY, who you're going to be able to share your living space with?
Don't misunderstand- I think its a good idea, and worth looking into, I'm just raising a question re: possible problems, and would appreciate some advice about how to go out and find trustworthy, responsible adults with whom this would work well with? I.E. Not just 'look in the paper'! How does this work finamcially? Are you expected to forward money in advance to 'secure' a property? I'm just thinking of scams where you send money, think you have accom. sorted, and discover both to be gone?!

Any help regarding this?

Warm regards,

cheryl

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Roommates

I think it would probably have to be done after you arrive, but you could see what you could find out in advance on DR1. I think it would be easier for a single female than for male to be trusted enough to be given a chance.

Once you decide to go try posting a request for a room in the approximate area. Post the details about yourself, what you need, what you are willing to pay, etc. Classified ads section? This section?

Maybe you could try this now as a hypothetical to gauge the response.

I haven't noticed many posts like that but I haven't paid much attention either. I don't see what trying would hurt. It's an entirely different question from the one this thread is about. I suspect there are quite a few English speaking expats who check DR1 at least occasionally who might have a spare room they'd consider renting to you.

There's no question that getting along with a roommate involves sacrifices. If you had specific issues in the past bring them up early in the discussion with potential roommates. How do you expect to handle guests? In some cases if you are renting a room from a person or couple who are owners or on a lease they will set the rules and you will have to decide if they are acceptable. If you are getting a place together as equals you will have to arrange mutually acceptable house rules. How is food handled? Dirty dishes? Guests? Noise? Music?

What would you have to pay? Try offering a flat $300/month including utilities. If you were renting an apartment for $500/month plus at least another $100 for utilities you'd consider that offer if you needed money, no? Or from the other angle, if you set up an apartment you could try to find a roommate to help you pay the rent.

Are you willing to sleep on somebody's couch? Share a bedroom? It's nice to have the privacy of your own bedroom in an apartment but when I went to college hardly anyone could afford that - we had four people to a two bedroom apartment and that was pretty standard. Granted it's easier for students who have a common purpose.

There are no doubt security risks associated with roommates, but there are also added security risks to living alone. What would your practical ideal situation be? Perhaps some nice retired couple who have an extra bedroom and wouldn't mind the company or the added income? That might be more likely than a single female with an extra bedroom. It doesn't cost anything for you to post the questions and see what people say.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Roommate money details

I don't think there would ever be a reason to send anyone money in advance or even fully commit to moving in until you met and had a chance to see the place and talk in person.

This is not something standardized - you have to work out all the details. I don't think it would make sense to ever rent something in advance without ever having been there physically, or to agree to share living space with someone you never met in person. However there's no harm in discussing it online in advance conditionally.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Hey,

Re: above posts. You make some interesting points and suggestions, Manzana. It's a difficult area in which to make a WORKABLE solution, and a lot to think about. This is very much related to my thread, in terms of cost of living- breakdown, because, as you mentioned, its one of the key costs of living, and certainly an outgoing that can be extremeley variable. The whole motivation for finding budget accommodation or a room-mate is purely money-motivated for most people, in my opinion, although I understand shared space, i.e. company and security can play a large factor.

Its a difficult one. I would prefer, I think, to live with a retired couple/man/woman, based on the fact that they may be less likely to play lots of loud music, bring home unsuitable people, and MAY be in the house more often for security. (They also may be out all the time, purely because they're at a time where they CAN enjoy life!!)

But, as you rightly pointed out, there are more likely to be rules... Its the old problem, whereby you want the freedom to do what you want, but dont want to have to live with someone else's freedom to bring home who they want, do dishes and clean up five days later, etc...

I think in the first instance, I'd prefer to get a studio. Maybe one whereby there are quite a few residents, (Dominican preferably, or expats) so we can all 'keep an eye out' for thieves? Although, possibly with many people coming and going, a thief is easier to lose?

A Dominican family is also a possibility... But again, the issues of screaming children when I'm trying to plan lessons, mark work, sleep, etc... Maybe a couple??

There's pros and cons to every solution... I think I'll have a look though the school option too, and see if any teachers want room-mates. Certainly they'd understand the need for peace when lesson planning, a person with a common interest, etc. Again, an agreement would have to be made...

I'll ponder that one some more, and if I think of anything useful to add/ask, I'll post then.

It looks like my budget is pretty low and so additional income may be needed. I asked a question recently about teaching freelance to boost the income and therefore improve my ability to cope with the cost of living?

Does anyone know anything about oportunities to freelance as a teacher; either to teach business English for companies, or private lessons? Do many parents at schools want additional English lessons for their children? Or other subjects, such as maths, provided taught in English?? I also teach music to a high level here. Is there much call for that in the DR?? Its popular for kids to learn a musical instrument in England, but wonder if the same in DR, bearing in mind culture of learning instruments (?) and only gaining additional tutoring for a more necessary subject?

Any thoughts?

Any experiences?

Warm regards,

Cheryl

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I said a friend of mine is staying ina studio and passed me their details, and including elec, water, rent and laundry, it's about 4,000 pesos per month...

Cheryl,
4000 pesos per month including all that please do not await a nice studio with a relaxing balcony/backyard piece available.
for our 2 bedroom/1 bathroom place i pay 2300 pesos a month just for the electricity, no A/C, just Fans/Fridge/1 freezer/2 TV's/3 computers,
so a 4K per month place with all included is uaually a room in a small place or hut with often changing neighbours, security for a single english newbie female at such places is IMO not considered very high.
not what i would name the typical foreign school top salary teachers place.

Manzana,
great points for the people on a thread of low budget movement,
mostly not even mentioned on the theme,
i see that as a great opportunity to upper the living class level without spending the big bucks.
Cheryl,
you mentioned your friend living here on the low budget sharing the actual costs of her place with you,
how about dealing with her to share a place?
you know her and she is here and knows the area.
such could be a good start to arrange the first visit and check out the area yourself while in well known trusted company.
Mike