Cost of living- breakdown

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Hey Mike,

Nope... Not a balcony in sight! lol... Its basically one room- a studio, which incorporates bed, table and chairs, kitchen, with a separate bathroom.

And I thought exactly the same re: sharing. I havent known her long, but we've struck up a friendship, etc. She is only wanting to teach in the DR for a year though... (although I'm trying to persuade her to think about staying on if this accademic year goes well!) so she will, at the moment, be finishing in June 2010... Not sure if I read you correctly... I'm intending to, (as you know) come to DR around Easter time, missing the actual break, to visit potential schools for placement and/or employment... As she has one room, I was thinking about renting within her block, for the time I'm there, so we're more like neighbours? I dont want to encroach on her privacy, given only one room. We're going to spend some time together, hopefully, when I go out on my 'reccy', so I agree, having a more experienced person, with the same goals, and trustworthy, is invaluable.

As you rightly mentioned, I think there may be many tennants staying for varying lengths of time, and I do not kknow about the security as of yet. Personal security would be my main issue, living as a single woman in the DR... I have nothing to steal!! lol

Thanks Mike and Manzana,

warm regards,

cheryl
Oh, and anybody know anything re my above post of giving private lessons?

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
A Dominican family is also a possibility... But again, the issues of screaming children when I'm trying to plan lessons, mark work, sleep, etc... Maybe a couple??

Just imagine it.

It's 1AM, you have to get up at 7AM to catch a motoconcho to your $450 per month full time job and you can't be late again or you may get fired. The Bacchata is still pumping on someone's batteries, it's 29 degrees C and very humid, some guy is yelling at some other guy named "Coneyo". Your lesson plans can't be finished since it's another apagon and you have no lights. You can't sleep in the heat, the baby living 20 feet away from your bed in another apartment has started to cry again and no one has glass windows so in the dark it seems to be in the room with you ... but you are livin' the dream.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Manzana... Are you testing my strength of character?!

To ponder, there's many an answer!... Dominicans get through it and smile, why cant I? Truth: I sincerely dislike not being able to sleep at night. Solution? Get to sleep FIRST!... as I can pretty much sleep through anything!... That, or choose a different solution regarding accommodation in the first place! lol

Warm regards,

Cheryl

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
great changes on the theme so.
but Cheryl,
what Manzana wrote on post#62 is a perfect description of a 4K water&elec included housing down here.
it is on that rate exactly that way.

to the above post:
what i meant in case of your friend already living and teaching down here was:
you can come down here and share together with your friend a bigger and more comfo place than she has now, costs shared by 2 would eventually mean she pays less than she does now and both have a better place due to sharing those costs of rental aso.
Mike

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

To ponder, there's many an answer!... Dominicans get through it and smile, why cant I? Truth: I sincerely dislike not being able to sleep at night. Solution? Get to sleep FIRST!... as I can pretty much sleep through anything!... That, or choose a different solution regarding accommodation in the first place! lol

Warm regards,

Cheryl

Cheryl, you are up to a rude awakening, do you think Dominicans are happy to live a below middle class lifestyle?? They smile because they can do nothing about it, complaining won't raise their salaries or won't get them a better job, they just accept it because they have no choice. Besides those Dominicans who live in that quality of life as stated by Manzana (the conejo thing cracked me up LOL) are accustomed to it, because they have lived that way since they were born. I don't believe that's the case with you. I am a middle-class Dominican and I certainly couldn't live in a barrio for 1 week, I go and visit my friends who live in a barrio, have a good time but that's it, there is no way I'm going to get that quality of life just because "I have a strong character".

We are just telling you beforehand that it is hard to live on a small budget in the DR, but I believe that is NOT what you want to hear, but anyway at least we tried.

Reactions: MikeFisher
R

rockero

HI its been like over 3 days now nothing from Hans at all...Is anyone on this site ever rent at his place??? It claims his place is like a few blocks from The Malecon????? All I know is if I cant get a place here where I go?? Someone mentioned another place that goes for 11 a night near Parque Independencia,,,Can anyone help me on this Please??? HaNS is not responding,,,Rockero....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
HI its been like over 3 days now nothing from Hans at all...Is anyone on this site ever rent at his place??? It claims his place is like a few blocks from The Malecon????? All I know is if I cant get a place here where I go?? Someone mentioned another place that goes for 11 a night near Parque Independencia,,,Can anyone help me on this Please??? HaNS is not responding,,,Rockero....

With all of your chasing round the various forums in what appears to be a high state of stress (& expecting answers within 24 hours) you have probably frightened Hans (& others) off Rockero. Try slowing down then checking the classified section in the local newspapers to find a small pensione in the area you need. You will be looking for something in the region of RD $350 - RD $400 am night or RD $10,000 - RD $12,000. I am sure the papers with classifieds will show such opportunities/vacancies. ~ Grahame.

R

rockero

THANKS BUT Hans has not posted here in two years since 2007,,,I dont think I scared him off at all...I can try to find a cheap pension for sure but when I arrive I want to stay at his place if not my only other choice is that cheap place by Parque Independencia thats for 11 a night...Someone made a bad post on that plce that a mouse and roach he killed in his first night there,,,Well maybe he killed the roach but I dount he got the mouse as they are hard to kill...Question is how big was the mouse and roach too??? I Here in Puerto Rico they more big then in South America,,,OK I will wait a few more days on Hans too if no reply I will send him an e mail maybe from my hotmail account this time around,,,BTW Whats the name of that place by Parque Independencia??? I Think Indepencia Hotel Right?????

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just imagine it.

It's 1AM, you have to get up at 7AM to catch a motoconcho to your $450 per month full time job and you can't be late again or you may get fired. The Bacchata is still pumping on someone's batteries, it's 29 degrees C and very humid, some guy is yelling at some other guy named "Coneyo". Your lesson plans can't be finished since it's another apagon and you have no lights. You can't sleep in the heat, the baby living 20 feet away from your bed in another apartment has started to cry again and no one has glass windows so in the dark it seems to be in the room with you ... but you are livin' the dream.

Cheryl, you are up to a rude awakening, do you think Dominicans are happy to live a below middle class lifestyle?? They smile because they can do nothing about it, complaining won't raise their salaries or won't get them a better job, they just accept it because they have no choice. Besides those Dominicans who live in that quality of life as stated by Manzana (the conejo thing cracked me up LOL) are accustomed to it, because they have lived that way since they were born. I don't believe that's the case with you. I am a middle-class Dominican and I certainly couldn't live in a barrio for 1 week, I go and visit my friends who live in a barrio, have a good time but that's it, there is no way I'm going to get that quality of life just because "I have a strong character".

We are just telling you beforehand that it is hard to live on a small budget in the DR, but I believe that is NOT what you want to hear, but anyway at least we tried.

Amen........Pa K Lo Sepa!;)
SHALENA

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Best options

I wasn't trying to test you all that much, I was just offering a realistic image of what cheap housing is like. If you are really as conservative as you sound, I think the best option would be to start another thread asking if there are any single females or couples who might have an extra room to rent to a single UK female for about $300. If you get any hits that seem reasonable discuss the details.

I'm not trying to twist your arm to tell you not to do it - I just think you are best off being realistic about it and trying to budget well below your expected resources so you have some cushion to deal with the unexpected. There is no question you can live in the DR on $1000 a month. Peace corps people get along on a fraction of that. Dominicans would consider 36K pesos a month a good income for a whole family.

How do Dominicans do it?
  • They spend a minimum on housing by gradually building a house when they have money for materials, sharing living space to the max, and using a minimum of paid utilities
  • Every Dominican household has a huge sack of rice and a huge sack of beans. That covers the basics of eating for a couple months and gives one the security of knowing where one's next meal is coming from.
  • Besides rice and beans all you need to eat is a small amount of sauce, meat and spices which the colmado will sell you on credit in exact quantities (eg 3 tsp of tomato paste)
  • Everything else you buy only when and if you have money.

This is probably not a lifestyle you aspire to, but the most important lesson I think is the sharing. Dominican barrios can be very safe places for residents and their guests because no one has any privacy. There is also an informal network sharing extra food and other resources - nothing goes to waste. Colmados give credit to people in their small service area. If you screw up enough to get cut off of credit you will have a much harder time getting along. I could go on for a long time about examples of reciprocal support in barrios but my point is people don't do these things because they want to. These social systems evolve to help people get by on the available resources. Given the money, Dominicans immediately choose to opt out of a lot of sharing/communal/reciprocal arrangements and have privacy and more freedom.

You can pick and choose what is worth paying extra for and what you may be able to give up. I just emphasize that the main way people economize when they have to is sharing. Freedom and independence cost money, you want to save money you trade off some freedom and independence. This is true up the scale for a long ways. Having servants frees you from having to spend time doing chores but without having to put up with family members - but costs money. Better locations for RE usually are convenient to desirable things = convenience = greater freedom but at a price.

If the freedom to have guests over and party is critical then you won't be happy with sharing an apartment with some couple. That's why it isn't a popular option with single males for whom that freedom is often the main point of living in the DR in the first place. It also why single males wouldn't be trusted as roommates by many people. You on the other hand as a conservative single female might save a lot and give up comparatively little.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
THANKS BUT Hans has not posted here in two years since 2007,,,I dont think I scared him off at all...I can try to find a cheap pension for sure but when I arrive I want to stay at his place if not my only other choice is that cheap place by Parque Independencia thats for 11 a night...Someone made a bad post on that plce that a mouse and roach he killed in his first night there,,,Well maybe he killed the roach but I dount he got the mouse as they are hard to kill...Question is how big was the mouse and roach too??? I Here in Puerto Rico they more big then in South America,,,OK I will wait a few more days on Hans too if no reply I will send him an e mail maybe from my hotmail account this time around,,,BTW Whats the name of that place by Parque Independencia??? I Think Indepencia Hotel Right?????

hey buddy,
if that Hans i never heard about didn't post since 2 years, heck, i would not await an answer. he may moved to an other barrio, other job, other city, other island, maybe he just died, who knows?

mouses are not that big down here, roaches ARE.
and bothering in such locations the mouses are not the big P.I.T.A., but the Rats are, and they are huge.
at a place for around 10 bucks per night furniched you sure will not await that they weekly spray poison for roaches or are rats free??
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I wasn't trying to test you all that much, I was just offering a realistic image of what cheap housing is like. If you are really as conservative as you sound, I think the best option would be to start another thread asking if there are any single females or couples who might have an extra room to rent to a single UK female for about $300. If you get any hits that seem reasonable discuss the details.

I'm not trying to twist your arm to tell you not to do it - I just think you are best off being realistic about it and trying to budget well below your expected resources so you have some cushion to deal with the unexpected. There is no question you can live in the DR on $1000 a month. Peace corps people get along on a fraction of that. Dominicans would consider 36K pesos a month a good income for a whole family.

How do Dominicans do it?
  • They spend a minimum on housing by gradually building a house when they have money for materials, sharing living space to the max, and using a minimum of paid utilities
  • Every Dominican household has a huge sack of rice and a huge sack of beans. That covers the basics of eating for a couple months and gives one the security of knowing where one's next meal is coming from.
  • Besides rice and beans all you need to eat is a small amount of sauce, meat and spices which the colmado will sell you on credit in exact quantities (eg 3 tsp of tomato paste)
  • Everything else you buy only when and if you have money.
This is probably not a lifestyle you aspire to, but the most important lesson I think is the sharing. Dominican barrios can be very safe places for residents and their guests because no one has any privacy. There is also an informal network sharing extra food and other resources - nothing goes to waste. Colmados give credit to people in their small service area. If you screw up enough to get cut off of credit you will have a much harder time getting along. I could go on for a long time about examples of reciprocal support in barrios but my point is people don't do these things because they want to. These social systems evolve to help people get by on the available resources. Given the money, Dominicans immediately choose to opt out of a lot of sharing/communal/reciprocal arrangements and have privacy and more freedom.

You can pick and choose what is worth paying extra for and what you may be able to give up. I just emphasize that the main way people economize when they have to is sharing. Freedom and independence cost money, you want to save money you trade off some freedom and independence. This is true up the scale for a long ways. Having servants frees you from having to spend time doing chores but without having to put up with family members - but costs money. Better locations for RE usually are convenient to desirable things = convenience = greater freedom but at a price.

If the freedom to have guests over and party is critical then you won't be happy with sharing an apartment with some couple. That's why it isn't a popular option with single males for whom that freedom is often the main point of living in the DR in the first place. It also why single males wouldn't be trusted as roommates by many people. You on the other hand as a conservative single female might save a lot and give up comparatively little.

great points
Mike

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Hello everyone, sorry it's taken a bit to post back, but I sent a reply via the internet on my mobile, and it disconnected whilst sending, so had to wait til had time to post again... sorry.

First, a correction from my previous post. I miscalculated the exchange rate for my friend's apartment. We worked out that it cost around ?150 per month sterling; I doubled and removed the zero's the wrong way round-so it equates to approx: RSD$8,000 per month, incl. elec, water, furnishing, etc. This is why I'd made the point of saving ?1500 in advance, for 10 months accademic year's accommodation paid in adbance. Sorry for any confusion caused.

A few comments to some posters: As per usual, thanks to Manzana, (especially your last post- very informative-detail below) Mike Fisher, Grahame and Tink23... And the others tht have provided constructive, sound advice, be it what I 'want to hear, or not' I appreciate your cander.

Manzana- Great post! You seem to understand my individuality, and I appreciate you not stereotyping me with other newbies, that naively expect a small budget to allow them to live like a king- or Queen in my case! I'm pleased that you've taken note of my previous postings, so thankyou.

(SKing take notice- your 'digs' are getting tiresome- in order to give good advice, you must first listen to the OP's circumstances, character and individual requirements, instead of trying to turn the OP into the person you want them to be- a naive, ignorant, complacent newbie you can have a go at. Believe me, your comments on this, and other threads says more about your character than mine. Grahame mentioned this attitude earlier, I think.)

Back to Manzana. At the moment, I'm having some pretty horrid issues with my current house-mate in the UK and I've known her for years, (she's behaving like a sankie, minus the cash, if you know what I mean!) so I am quite reluctant to share my space EVER AGAIN at the moment! However, I think your suggestion to start a new thread, discussing available rooms to share is a very good idea. I dont want to do it hypothetically as I dont want to mess people around, but once I've made firm decisions of when I want to come out, I'll do that a few months in advance. If there are no replies, I can always stay in the apartment my friend has just moved into, as I will have budgeted for this in advance. I can then continue to look for suitable sharers once there. I have been thinking about what you saud regrding who to share with, and you make some valid points regarding integration and sharing a deeper culture, (staying with a Dominican family) varying levels of privacy, and the security aspect of sharing as well as having a place to yourself. If anything, I'm steering more towards looking for a retired couple/ older couple, either ex-pat or Dominican, owing to the lack of need to party at home and their possible tastes. Its always hard finding a suitable house share and not something to be entered into lightly. I will give it a lot of thought.

Thanks also for giving a guide as to how Dominicans try to work within their budget. I am happy to for-go many of the material luxuries we have here in the Uk in order to live a simple life out in the UK. I used to be a chef, so would actually enjoy buying a bag of beans and rice, (to have on-hand) and experiement with adding a couple of ingredients to 'make a dish'. Its amazing how good a meal can be, with very little money spent- been there, done that!

It was also interesting, what you mentioned with regards to Dominicans building theselves a house. Although not applicable to my current situation, I'll look into that in the distant future, if I make it that far!

Again, thanks for your post.

ExtremeR Regarding:

"Originally Posted by Cheryl**

Warm regards,

Cheryl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ExtremeR

I am afraid my comment was said 'tongue in cheek' regarding Dominicans smiling... sorry you didnt get that. I have been to Albania, which is similar to the DR, minus the tourism impact. I am well aware that people suffering extreme poverty, (36% below the minimum food basket) will smile as this is the only thing they can do! I understand the frustration of not wanting to leave your home country, but not even being able to, and so having to deal with a (pretty foul) hand life has dealt to you. I have experienced the sankie behaviour, and rather than judge this behaviour by standards only applicable to a different class/ culture, I am interested in the WHY they do it. For SOME, (not all) the reason is poverty, then whilst not approving of their principals, I can understand their reasoning.

so ExtremeR, your comment....

"We are just telling you beforehand that it is hard to live on a small budget in the DR, but I believe that is NOT what you want to hear, but anyway at least we tried. "

Is a misjudgement of my character and shows you have not read many of the previous posts made by me and others on this thread. It has been made clear that I DO listen to various advice.

Nevermind.

I'm going to have a think about the varying advice given... Everyone is different and I need to look at the most suitable method of moving to the DR for my personal circumstances, goals, etc. I started off wanting to begin by voluntering. Grahame has suggested I do this once settled. I have the option to come out a few times to gain more experience, etc which would be wise. I have the option to approach various schools regarding work, and come out initially for a year, provided I can bring with me the savings mentioned before. I also have the option, (as a friend mentioned to me privately) to come out to the DR for a decent stretch- maybe 4-6 months, and purely live there on savings and take it from there. This option would allow me to continue working towards my degree in England during term-time and then come out to the DR at the end of each accademic year in May, for four months, provided I can save the money. Again, it was Grahame who suggeted I complete my degree first. This final option, would allow me to come out, with little arrangement in terms of employment, stay in different areas to get a truer 'feel' to the different ways of living- from tourist areas, to the capital, to the rural village, to the town inland. I would also be able to 'help out' different schools on an informal, unpaid basis to better prepare for when I move permanently. Although 4 years seems a long time- (a long-term plan) if I can incorporate a more lengthy visit WHILST finishing my degree, it wont feel so long, as I'll spend up to a 3rd of the year in the DR anyway!

We'll see how the savings go. When I was doing my second set of A levels, (fast track in one year as opposed to two) my course was 9am-4.30pm and as very low on exams, was primarily based on a lot of coursework, whoch throughout the year, was very time-consuming. I was still able to support myself through working 20-30 hours per week. Others prefered to go clubbing. I am fairly certain, that with planning and dedication, I can do the same thing, as my degree course is only 6-9 hours per week, with a similar heavy coursework based program. The idea, then, is to save my student grants. We'll see how it goes and I'll let you all know, of course as this method may help others in the future.

Any comments regarding either this plan, what I've said. SKing and ExtremeR are welcome to reply, but I'll politely ask you to try not to turn this thread into a slanging match please. The focus of this thread is the cost of living in the DR, bearing in mind my personal circumstances and individuality. Does anyone have any thought to this proposed plan? Any further comments regarding keeping costs down and the implications of that move; I.E. Points made by Manzana regarding diet, privacy, sharing, etc.

Warm regards,

Cheryl

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Cheryl:
Back to Manzana. At the moment, I'm having some pretty horrid issues with my current house-mate in the UK and I've known her for years, (she's behaving like a sankie, minus the cash, if you know what I mean!) so I am quite reluctant to share my space EVER AGAIN at the moment! However, I think your suggestion to start a new thread, discussing available rooms to share is a very good idea. I dont want to do it hypothetically as I dont want to mess people around, but once I've made firm decisions of when I want to come out, I'll do that a few months in advance. If there are no replies

I think what Manzana was referring to is there are a lot of people here that will rent a room. This normally includes kitchen privileges, etc. You renting from them not sharing rent. Sometimes even an efficiency apartment. Rooms can be had in Santo Domingo starting around 3-4000rd furnished. Efficiency Apartments from 10k.

Manzana:
I think the best option would be to start another thread asking if there are any single females or couples who might have an extra room to rent to a single UK female for about $300.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Oooh, Bienamor... I think I totally misunderstood, then? Can you expand what you mean, please?? What's an efficiency apartment? Never heard the term... I understand re: renting a room from a couple, for example, (or anyone else) whereby I'd have the use of the facilities and pay a certain amount of money, pre-agreed, but you would still have to think about whether their life-style suits yours, no? And be prepared to abide by certain 'house rules'? I think I'm missing something here- please fill in the gaps!! lol

Warm regards,

Cheryl

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
As I anticipated, told you some real things that you didn't want to hear and got all upset about it, Sking advice here is one of the best you could get right now as she is also an ex-pat living in the DR in a HUGE (for DR standards) budget and my advice I think you would want to hear as I am a middle-class Dominican living in the DR (although almost moving out).

I for one doesn't want you to fail in your project of living in the DR, al contrario, I want you to have a pleasant experience and stay in the DR indefinitely, but for that to happen there's several factors that have to go OK and to accomplish that you will have to hear every advice, the good ones and the negative ones, specially from those who knows the place.

Also, the last line in Matilda's post should be regarded as gospel, nothing could be more close to the truth in the DR.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Failed to notice at the time that Matilda's post was in your other thread. Here is the quote anyway:

9. Try not to plan too much as it will all go wrong anyway!!! Live for the day and laugh a lot!!!

It couldn't be said better..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
efficiency apt.

Oooh, Bienamor... I think I totally misunderstood, then? Can you expand what you mean, please?? What's an efficiency apartment? Never heard the term... I understand re: renting a room from a couple, for example, (or anyone else) whereby I'd have the use of the facilities and pay a certain amount of money, pre-agreed, but you would still have to think about whether their life-style suits yours, no? And be prepared to abide by certain 'house rules'? I think I'm missing something here- please fill in the gaps!! lol

Warm regards,

Cheryl

One room with everything, bed, kitchen, separate bathroom, American english!
Some are 2 rooms with a bathroom separate.

With the renting a room, some have their own entrance, some don't, yes you may have to abide by their rules, it's their house.