Cost of Living in the Dominican Republic 2011

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
DR is very cheap country.
Excellent quality products at near zero prices.

Just back from strawberry ice cream melba large portions of ice cream, fruit, sorbet
two dollars 50cents at new Venez restaurant.
Where else a grande ( equiv 2 US bottles ) for 2 dollars 60 cents?
I don't understand your crap. Rents, condo fees minimal!
2.7 bottles of rum for just over 16 dollars?
Nearly everything 1/2 USA / Europe prices or less!
Buy a 150 cc motorcycle less than 900 dollars brand new!
9 dollars for 180 mile coach journey in good coach?
Prawns 9 dollars a kilo
Get a brain people posting!
Very difficult to spend money in DR!
Yanandu

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Get a brain people posting!
Very difficult to spend money in DR!
Yanandu

Sure, if you live up a tree or have a house with zinc sheet roofing.
If I wanted to live in a small place, doggy part of Santo Domingo, intermittent utilities and eat La Bandera everyday, then you're right.
If that's how you want to live and your happy, more power to you :)

But I don't and I guess most people posting on this board feel the same and are used to a moderate standard of living.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nearly everything 1/2 USA / Europe prices or less!

That is about your most ridiculous comment to date.

Name me 20 brand products that you would regularly find in a refrigerator in the USA and Europe that are half price here?

Should be easy, after all, you did say "Nearly everything 1/2 USA" :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert is right, it all depends on how comfortable you want to live. I feel atlanta to be far more cheaper to eat out and shopping than in santo domingo. I actually feel I get more for my dollar in atlanta then in DR. Its damn expensive here.
Oh, and I don't drink beers from colmados and don't live in a barrio so I guess I wouldn't know how cheap it is to live here.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2 weeks AI holiday in DR bought from tui: 1500 dollars
f***ing plane ticket from DR to europe: 1500 dollars

nah, the only cheap thing in DR is pu**y. anything else that is of any value and cannot even be seen as luxury back home is expensive as hell. in 5 years i did not but creams or any other cosmetics in DR. nivea cream 20 dollars? are you f***ing kidding me? in poland i pay 5 bucks.
i recently paid 100 dollars for 4 pairs of shoes from aldo: leather heels and fabric flats. all gorgeous. the only shoes i remotely liked when shopping in POP were 50 dollars a pair. doh.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Yan... it took a while for you to jump into this thread.... have you been busy? Some of the other members have been wondering what you might have been doing that kept you from the discussion. I'm glad that you're here to once more add your own brand of entertainment to the thread. :)

BUT... you say:
"... buy a 150 cc motorcycle less than 900 dollars brand new!""

Given everything I've heard and the little I've actually experienced, I'd REALLY like to see this one! I can order online a small 150cc Chinese made scooter online and have it drop shipped / delivered to my home here in the states for about $630 (close out model), or $800 or $900 (current model), but then I have to pay tax and registration on it, and then I have to do the "dealer prep" by tearing it apart and changing the fluids, plug, reset the valves, tighten all nuts and bolts (replacing many 'cause they're so crappy they can't hold their threads without stripping). It's my understanding that all consumer goods, especially motor vehicles, are heavily taxed with import duties and cost significantly more there.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Yanundu,

I agree with Robert as well. I've traveled several times to DR and have lived the local and tourist life. It's very expensive !! Yes, many people live on less than 500 dollars a month, but for them it's quite hard - specially when someone gets sick and always they ask for assistance or to borrow money.

I live in Ecuador, which is much cheaper than DR. Things are way cheaper here than the US. In Guayaquil, I rent a 2 br apart for $360 in a nice neighborhood. You can get a suite for about less than $150 in the downtown area. A lunch/dinner plate consisting of soup (only during lunch), main dish and juice will cost US$1.50-2.00. Gas for cooking is $2 (it's subsized). Water in large bottles is 1.75. Public transportation is 25 cents. If I wanted to I could eat 2 meals a day at 1.75 (3.50 a day) and live ok within 500-600 a month. I know several people who do this.

But I don't do this ! I would be in a tight budget, never going out and most likely not be able to travel outside Guayaquil or abroad. It would be impossible !!

My average to live a moderate lifestyle and be able to go out and spend some time in the beach is about 1,000-1600 (have room to save and for medical problems)- here in Ecuador. I would say it's much higher in DR.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Yesterday I had a large fresh fruit ice cream sundae for 2.5 dollars ( 100 pesos)
Water 5 gallons is 45 pesos - about 1 dollar 50.
Large beer is between 40 -100 pesos depending on location/
1.1 dollars - 2.6 dollars.
Equador may be cheaper.
Quote on a new delivered serviced motor cycle today 32,000 pesos 150cc. 850 dollars.
I intend to purchase then I post a photo.
Not so bad.
Yanandu

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yesterday I had a large fresh fruit ice cream sundae for 2.5 dollars ( 100 pesos)
Water 5 gallons is 45 pesos - about 1 dollar 50.
Large beer is between 40 -100 pesos depending on location/
1.1 dollars - 2.6 dollars.
Equador may be cheaper.
Quote on a new delivered serviced motor cycle today 32,000 pesos 150cc. 850 dollars.
I intend to purchase then I post a photo.
Not so bad.
Yanandu

Name me 20 brand products that you would regularly find in a refrigerator in the USA and Europe that are half price here?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
That is about your most ridiculous comment to date.

Should be easy, after all, you did say "Nearly everything 1/2 USA" :)

The closest thing I can draw is the price for Orange Juice, general beverages, cigarettes, a whole raw chicken. And the cost of transportation per mile, $3 bus rides to Puerto Plata, 50cent publicos. BUT if you want to have a selective diet that doesnt consist of ALL fried food and meats which cant be heart healthy you will have to reconsider the food budget.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
robert did say "brand products" so he means "tropicana" not "rica" orange juice, for instance. and orange juice is actually stupidly expensive considering that for 50 pesos i can buy enough oranges (in season) to make 2 liters of freshly squuezed orange juice that is just juice and not concentrate, water and sugar...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Living in the DR is much, much, much cheaper than living in the States.

However, if you like to eat out all the time or a lot of imported foods or have expensive hobbies well there you go then. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i remember off the top of my head only one price: two liter bottle of peKsi, 55 pesos.
how much does it cost in USA?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i remember off the top of my head only one price: two liter bottle of peKsi, 55 pesos.
how much does it cost in USA?

In the supermarket there's always a brand soda on sale for about $1.00 for a 2-liter bottle [Coke, Pepsi, Canada Dry, Seagrams, etc]. BUT in the US they use cheap corn syrup, and in DR it's sugar, which is why it TASTES BETTER THERE!!!

AE

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Cost of 50 items.

You don't get the same brands as in the USA.
Use FreshDirect for US prices.
Pasta spaghetti more expensive USA.
Coffee more expensive US. Up to 8 dollars a lb.
Many wines more expensive US.
Lentils more expensive US.
Dry beans more expensive US.
Cheese starts 6 dollars lb US.
Sardines cheaper DR ( much )
Most types of veg cheaper in DR.
Yanandu

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yanandu

The supermarkets in the DR are full of branded products from the USA.

I'll quote you again... "Nearly everything 1/2 USA"

I'm guessing your definition of "Nearly" is a small percentage...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The supermarkets in the DR are full of branded products from the USA.

I'll quote you again... "Nearly everything 1/2 USA"

I'm guessing your definition of "Nearly" is a small percentage...

Absolutely true, and verrrryyyy pricey. But if you're craving something in particular, it can be found in a supermarket somewhere. Even European products. I was amazed to find a chunk of Grana Padana from Italy in a supermarket!

I think by now we all know that yanadu's living in a fantasy world, and all he accomplishes with his posts is confusing people who don't live in DR. :ermm: He has a lot of opinions, but not a lot to back them up.

AE

May 12, 2005
Absolutely true, and verrrryyyy pricey. But if you're craving something in particular, it can be found in a supermarket somewhere. Even European products. I was amazed to find a chunk of Grana Padana from Italy in a supermarket!

I think by now we all know that yanadu's living in a fantasy world, and all he accomplishes with his posts is confusing people who don't live in DR. :ermm: He has a lot of opinions, but not a lot to back them up.

AE

I agree. He is on a fantasy island somewhere.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yanandu

Fresh Direct is a gourmet supermarket it is not the typical American supermarket. Almost everything you mention is more expensive because that is a luxury supermarket. You have compare those prices to Price Chopper, Publix or the Piggly Wiggly

Domestic brands have a quart of OJ for 50 pesos, in the US, apart from Florida, a quart of OJ is $2.19 and a half gallon is about $4. I like Dominican OJ better. 2 liter Soda also is 55 pesos for generic brand. Coke is like $2.29+ deposit. Store brand soda is cheaper, but still a little more.